Thread: Old Collector, New to Spyderco

Spyderco Forum Registered User morgaj1's Avatar

Old Collector, New to Spyderco

I have been collecting knives since I was 5-6 years old. However, up until about 6 months ago, I had never purchased a Spyderco knife. I used to buy knives based on they way they looked and how they fit my hand. I knew nothing of the super steels and high quality carbon steels. My collection consisted of mainly Buck, Case and Kershaw. Then, I decided to buy my first Spyderco: an FRN Dragonfly 2. I fell in love and now have the following Spydercos:

Ladybug
    FRN Dragonfly
    G10 Dragonfly
    Cat 440C
    Chaparral CTS-XHP
    Sage 1
    Gayle Bradley Air
    Delica 4
    Caly 3 in Superblue
    Mule Team 52100
    Byrd Robin 2
    Byrd Finch 2
    Byrd Wings

I really want something in S110V, but the Manix is a bit large for my tastes. One thing that I have noticed is Sal's Taichung maker is fantastic. The tolerances on my GB Air, Chaparral and Sage are incredible.

Here's to the beginning of my journey with my new favorite knife maker. I can't believe I've waited this long to try one!

Oh, and kudos to Sal and team for having the best and most consistent heat treat of any company I've seen.

Spyderco Forum Registered User SpyderNut's Avatar
    A warm welcome to you, morgaj1. One "taste" of Spyderco's unequaled quality will certainly keep you coming back for more. By the way, that's one heck of a nice Spydie collection for less than six months of collecting! Just think what your collection will look like in six years...
    Michael

Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Spyderco Forum Registered User Kylems11's Avatar
    Go buy a sage 3 and a native 5. Then you will really fall in love.
    My 's
    Pm2(1), manix2 LW, salt 1, dragonfly 2 salt(2), dragonfly 2(1), delica 4(2), tenacious(2), persistence(2), kiwi 3(2), grasshopper, honeybee, bug, native 5 g10(3), manbug, ladybug, sage 3(2), citadel 83mm, embassy, domino

Kyle

Spyderco Forum Registered User SolidState's Avatar
    Welcome to the team! If you're in the market for a fixed blade, the Schempp Rock can't be beat.
    "Nothing is so fatal to the progress of the human mind as to suppose that our views of science are ultimate; that there are no mysteries in nature; that our triumphs are complete, and that there are no new worlds to conquer."
    Sir Humphry Davy

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    Wait on the native 5 in s110v. Also, you will have to buy a paramilitary 2 at some point...that's kind of obligatory. . I strongly suggest trying a serrated h1 "salt" knife too. Pacific salt, salt 1, and tasman are my favorites. The serrated h1 dragonfly is a little beast too.

Enjoy,

Lance

Spyderco Forum Registered User Holland's Avatar
    Welcome to the forums! As lance has already mentioned, the s110v Native 5 CF will be out soon. Or you could buy the Native 5 forum knife if u don't want to wait for the CF model to come out
    Phil Wilson Smoke Creek s110v, SouthFork, Gayle Bradley, Chaparral 1, Chaparral 2, Native 5, Para2, Para1 SE, Caly 3, Dragonfly 2, Dragonfly 2, Delica 4, Ladybug 3

-Spencer

Spyderco Forum Registered User jackknifeh's Avatar
    Welcome to the forum. Great collection so far. Can I recommend the Bradley Folder and a Stretch? May be a bit big for your taste but they are great knives. The Bradley has the M4 steel like on your Air (if I'm not mistaken). I just got the Stretch with super blue blade steel less than a week ago. Talk about a great steel. I love it so far and don't think that will change. Takes a wicked sharp edge easily and holds it extremely well. The Stretch will be in my pocket all the time I think. Except when I'm carrying another "super knife".

Again, welcome to the forum.

Jack

My EDC for a while. Stretch with carbon fiber handle, Chaparral 2, Dragonfly 2 with kirinite MOP handle, Manbug with bolster/red bone handle. Super blue/420J1 blades on all three (except Chaparral).

I agree with Jack and Highly recommend trying the Gayle Bradley. It is my favourite knife of that size
    Phil Wilson Smoke Creek s110v, SouthFork, Gayle Bradley, Chaparral 1, Chaparral 2, Native 5, Para2, Para1 SE, Caly 3, Dragonfly 2, Dragonfly 2, Delica 4, Ladybug 3

-Spencer

Spyderco Forum Registered User jackknifeh's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Holland View Post
    I agree with Jack and Highly recommend trying the Gayle Bradley. It is my favourite knife of that size
    You need to watch out Holland. People new to Spyderco may not be able to find a "Gayle Bradley" since the name has been changed to the "Bradley Folder". I don't know if changing the name was done to protect the innocent or the guilty.

Jack

My EDC for a while. Stretch with carbon fiber handle, Chaparral 2, Dragonfly 2 with kirinite MOP handle, Manbug with bolster/red bone handle. Super blue/420J1 blades on all three (except Chaparral).

Spyderco Forum Registered User MarcusH's Avatar
    Welcome to the forums, morgaj1!
    +1 for the Stretch SB, the Stretch is one of the nicest designs Sal has ever made.
    My small collection: http://www.araneomorphae.de
    "I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and beautiful knives. The rest I just squandered."
    Slightly modified, R.I.P. George Best.

Quote Originally Posted by jackknifeh View Post
    You need to watch out Holland. People new to Spyderco may not be able to find a "Gayle Bradley" since the name has been changed to the "Bradley Folder". I don't know if changing the name was done to protect the innocent or the guilty.

Jack
    haha touche

-Spencer

How do I buy the Native 5 Forum knife?

Spyderco Forum Registered User xceptnl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by morgaj1 View Post
    How do I buy the Native 5 Forum knife?
    Secondhand market is likely the only avenue this late in the timeline.
    My 's:
    Native, Manix 2 (BD1,154CM,S30V,M4,XHP,S110V,Cruwear), Delica 4 (White,Red,Brown,Blue,BRG,G-10), Spyderhawk, D'fly (H1,G-10,SB), Police3, Volpe, Military (S30V,XHP,D2,M390,BG42,440V,Cruwear), Superleafs, Forager, D2 Para, Kopas, Kiwis, Caly (JR's,3,3.5), Para2 (XHP,204P), Stretch (SS,FRN's,CF), Rescues, Dyad Jr, Pingos, Southard, AIR, Jess Horns, Forum N5, Lil Matriarch, Barong, Superhawk, Chinook II, ATR, SPY-DK, Captain, Ti UKPK, Mules

*Landon*

Spyderco Forum Registered User Donut's Avatar
    Welcome to the forum. I didn't like the Dragonfly at first, I had to grow into it.
    -Brian
    A distinguished lurker.
    Chat with us. Sharpthings - A Blog Site

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    Hi Morgaj1,

Thanx much for the kind words and support. Welcome to our forum.

sal

Spyderco Forum Registered User opusxpn's Avatar
    Welcome aboard and great collection for a starter
    Keep 'em sharpEndura4 (blk all edges, brwn, FG, SB, RG ZDP, blk tac, wave) Salt1 (blk, yllw PE H1)Tasman(yllw SE H1) Pacific salt(blk SE H1) Stretch(ZDP, SB) Delica4(blk CE, wave, SB) Drgfly2(yllw SE H1, org PE,SB PE) Pingo(blk) Cat G10(blk) Centofante3 Ldybg3(FG,SB,Hwk yllw H1, tan H1, blk) Manbug (blk SE, SB) Manix2(Ltw trans blue PE, G10 PE, Ltw dark blue frn) Para2(dig/satin, blk/satin) Military(Cru-Wear) Resilience, Tenacious(blk CE,grn PE), K04 Blk PE, K04 Blue SE, Byrd Robin2 G10