Page 14 of 28 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: Is this the S110V lightweight Manix 2?

Spyderco Forum Registered User PayneTrain's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil D View Post
    You do know the Sage 3 has a totally different lock right?
    Well not TOTALLY different. The principle is pretty similar, wedging something between the tang and an anvil. I mean I can see why a BB might need a little more pressure from the spring to maintain the lock than a bolt would, but does it have to be this much more? And if it does, all the more reason for a different form of stud or grip or whatever it may be called. That's my opinion, but I'm definitely not going to let it stop me from using this knife. I like everything else about it.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Evil D's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PayneTrain View Post
    Well not TOTALLY different. The principle is pretty similar, wedging something between the tang and an anvil. I mean I can see why a BB might need a little more pressure from the spring to maintain the lock than a bolt would, but does it have to be this much more? And if it does, all the more reason for a different form of stud or grip or whatever it may be called. That's my opinion, but I'm definitely not going to let it stop me from using this knife. I like everything else about it.
    Well, it could also be argued that the extra spring pressure translates into a more solid and safe lock, since it takes that much more force to disengage it. I would rather a lock be too hard to unlock than too easy.

SHARPEN IT LIKE YOU LOVE IT, USE IT LIKE YOU HATE IT
    ~David

Official plea to Sal: Can we PLEASE get a DLC Yojimbo 2? PLEASE!!?

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    I'm just curious when they're going to make the manix XL in S110V. It's the same bladestock as the manix lwt. I know i could be talking about a millie but that's not the same bladestock. Apparently spyderco has this S110V in stock to be producing these knives. Including the N5 so it's just a matter of time before they could do the XL. Maybe some dark blue G10 to go with the theme

Spyderco Forum Registered User nccole's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PayneTrain View Post
    The spring will break in, and so will everything else.

Spyderco Forum Registered User RadioactiveSpyder's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by VashHash View Post
    I'm just curious when they're going to make the manix XL in S110V. It's the same bladestock as the manix lwt. I know i could be talking about a millie but that's not the same bladestock. Apparently spyderco has this S110V in stock to be producing these knives. Including the N5 so it's just a matter of time before they could do the XL. Maybe some dark blue G10 to go with the theme
    Or go one further and make a lightweight FRN Manix 2 XL with S110V... Anyone heard of plans for such a thing?
    It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. Stephen King

I'd prefer the g10 version and it could be implemented immediately without a mold being made to cast the FRN.

As I understand it from Sal, there is to be a series of FRN handled knives in dark blue sporting S110V, like the Native. My question was if anyone knew if the Manix XL was also on that list. With the S90V KW exclusive just finished, it's obvious they could whip out a scaled version (G10, CF, what have you) but that wouldn't fit the dark blue FRN theme he specifically mentioned...
    It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. Stephen King

Spyderco Forum Registered User shunsui's Avatar
    I'd love an Endura4 in S110V and dark blue FRN.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Strong-Dog's Avatar
    Maybe it's just me, but a knife that big made of pinned FRN just doesn't sound right. I know I know, FRN is very strong and all, but for a big knife like that being that light and "flimsy" just doesn't sound like a good match (yes guys, FRN is flimsy relative to G10 and steel)
    Q: What was the most positive result of the "Cash for clunkers"
    program?

A: It took 95% of the Obama bumper stickers off the road.
    -Letterman

Quote Originally Posted by Strong-Dog View Post
    Maybe it's just me, but a knife that big made of pinned FRN just doesn't sound right. I know I know, FRN is very strong and all, but for a big knife like that being that light and "flimsy" just doesn't sound like a good match (yes guys, FRN is flimsy relative to G10 and steel)
    That's my first thought about it as well. It's already pretty light weight for it's size, weighing in at just 5.2 oz, the same as the regular size manix2. It would lose some of it's pocket-machete character... but, who knows? I've had my mind expanded by innovative knife designs around here before

Edit: speaking of the Manix2 XL, as mentioned by Radioactive
    Last edited by DougC-3; 04-19-2014 at 08:25 AM. Reason: clarity
    MY SPYDIE LIST (on profile page)
    Want List: New Stretch prototype Coyote G-10 slab/ZDP test sprint!

Spyderco Forum Registered User Evil D's Avatar
    I definitely expect a Manix 2 LW sprint. Making those FRN molds is a big investment so they'll wanna get the most out of them.

Then again, it could also be said that the investment was made for the FRCP knives, and this version is the pay off...
    Last edited by Evil D; 04-19-2014 at 04:58 AM.

SHARPEN IT LIKE YOU LOVE IT, USE IT LIKE YOU HATE IT
    ~David

Official plea to Sal: Can we PLEASE get a DLC Yojimbo 2? PLEASE!!?

I would think they're using the same molds and can just change what they put in them. I don't have an FRCP manix to compare my frn one to so i can't say for certain. I just recall these molds aren't cheap and i think it would be most cost effective to just make the xl with g-10 and maybe different color G-10. For all we know another vendor might be ordering up a batch of S110V exclusives. I'm pretty sure an S110V millie is slated somewhere on the board. I'm not sure where but i know it has to be there. Again thanks for the S110V production model. Talk about Setting the bar higher everytime. Some companies are just starting to delve into S90V limited edition models. I love knife Olympics

National knives has some, or had them in stock as of yesterday. $104.98 after shipping.

Spyderco Forum Registered User nccole's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RadioactiveSpyder View Post
    As I understand it from Sal, there is to be a series of FRN handled knives in dark blue sporting S110V, like the Native. My question was if anyone knew if the Manix XL was also on that list. With the S90V KW exclusive just finished, it's obvious they could whip out a scaled version (G10, CF, what have you) but that wouldn't fit the dark blue FRN theme he specifically mentioned...
    Pretty sure he said that would be the color of S110V. Don't think he limited it to being FRN/FRCP though. This Manix LW happened because they already have the molds, and the LW's in BD1 have been selling good enough. If they do a Military or PM2 S110V, I doubt it will be FRN. It will be midnight blue G10 or maybe we might see some blue CF, which would be awesome. I doubt they will have a Manix XL FRN anything. A knife that big may not need liners, but the attitude and philosophy of the knife will probably always have them.

Thanks all, I was just curious. Needless to say from other pics I've been posting in recent Manix threads, that I would definitely be down for some dark blue G10 handles on some big S110V blades! Now, I'd still like to see that dark blue Police 3 in Super Blue too, so hopefully they're up for mixing steels a bit if they do head toward dark blue G10 scales.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Spydersense's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MachSchnell View Post
    National knives has some, or had them in stock as of yesterday. $104.98 after shipping.
    Thanks for the heads up! Just ordered one!

ETA: The price was too good to resist!
    Last edited by Spydersense; 04-19-2014 at 10:39 AM.
    Time for another !

-Matt

Spyderco Forum Registered User aquaman67's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by senorsquare View Post
    Mine is coming from HKS and the tracking number says it will be here Saturday, but I've had instances where it takes a little longer to travel from Oskoda to Little Rock. I don't care as long as it gets here, but I'd prefer sooner than later.

I am really looking forward to this one. It sounds like the perfect EDC but I won't know until I get it in hand. If I like it enough I may end up thinning the herd a bit.
    You're not the only one. I just checked the tracking. Mine are in Tampa, FL this morning. I'm in Tennessee. Why they went from Allen Park, MI to Tampa and not to Nashville is a mystery to me. I know it's not Howes fault. Just a little frustrating. I'm sure they'll be here safe and sound...Monday.

Quote Originally Posted by FCM415 View Post
    It did but Mr. Janich posted here telling us of the change to FRN for this one about a month ago. I'm fine with either really but of course FRN has years and years behind it.

From what I know right now, the N5 LWT will still be FRCP, someone correct me if I am wrong. The BD1 Manix LWTs are still FRCP.
    You're right about that:

Quote Originally Posted by sal View Post
    It's certainly taken longer than intended, but that is often the case. We'd prefer not to pull the trigger until we know it's as right as a new model can be. We had a time making the mold. The model is a co-polymer injection molded handle. The lock is the Native5 lock. 2.46 oz. 4 way clip. The model we're testing is S35VN.

sal
    Edit: Here, Sal was talking about an earlier prototype. Several weeks later he spoke of a new prototype with FRN instead of FRCP. The FRN was chosen for the production model.
    Last edited by DougC-3; 04-20-2014 at 12:36 AM. Reason: What I said was wrong.

Spyderco Forum Registered User SaintlyBrees's Avatar
    Now that I have my dream Manix in hand, I'd love to see more models in CF. A Manix 2 S110V w/CF would make a wonderful sprint run.
    My Spydies:
    6 Manix 2 [blk/blk S30V, blk/blk XL, blue Sprint, blue LW, S110V LW, S90V CF XL]; 2 Delicas [VG10, Super Blue]; 4 Dragonflies [Tatoo, VG10, ZDP-189/Nishijin, Super Blue]; 4 Natives [S30V, Brn CTS-XHP, G10 S35N, Forum S110V]; 2 Chaparrals [Stepped Ti, CF]; 3 PM2s [blk/blk, blk/red Putnam, GRN CTS-204P sprint]; 1 CF bolt-action Sage; 1 Air; 1 Super Blue Manbug; 1 blk H1/blk frn Pacific Salt; 2 Stretch [Super Blue, ZDP-189]; 2 Enduras [VG10, blue jigged bone Damascus]

Quote Originally Posted by MachSchnell View Post
    One of those is headed my way... grabbed it yesterday