Page 13 of 28 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: Is this the S110V lightweight Manix 2?

Spyderco Forum Registered User FCM415's Avatar
    I like the G10 Manix2 but not a favorite. When the LWT came out, I tried it out and traded it convinced that they will come out with a sprint with an improved steel sooner or later. LWT has so many things going for it but I was able to let it go because I have so many Spyderco options anyway so I put it in the back burner so to speak. Well here's that upgraded steel but I wouldnt have guessed S110v, wild isn't it?

Im waiting for that CF N5, and the LWT N5 also.

The blue Stretch color is one of my favorites. This one is darker, both should stick around in future releases IMO.
    Upcoming: N5 CF/S110v, N5 LWT, DragonFly SB, Marcin Slysz Bowie, Farid Mehr K2, Peter Carey Rubicon, Gayle Bradley Fixed Blade, Phil Wilson Sprig, Mule Team 4V

(Some) Wishes: Native5 CHIEF, Sub 4 inch versions of the Mehr K2 and Carey Rubicon, More M4 and Use CPM-154!

Spyderco Forum Registered User JNewell's Avatar
    FRN dye colors seem to vary a lot - more than G10.

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    Just ordered one from NK! Six week early birthday present When I order from them, the packages track from Kincheloe, MI, down to Toledo, then back up to Detroit, lol, then start all over and head my way, but they get here just the same.

This will be my first light weight M2 and my first blue knife (edit: oops... make that 2nd -- forgot about my little blue Persistence). I guess I'm glad it's FRN instead of FRCP, but I kinda miss getting to try out FRCP and see if it's been getting a bum rap.

Quote Originally Posted by JNewell View Post
    I had a total love affair with the Manix 2 and eventually fell totally out of love. (Glad it is working for you!) I am awaiting my pre-order on the Native 5 version.
    One of my favorite colors (a silly reason to like a knife?) is the now-old Delica ZDP-189 sprint with "stonewashed denim" blue FRN, which sounds similar to this one. Enjoy!

I don't think it's silly. I spent some time trying to locate the Stretch ZDP-189 with the same blue as the Delica, and I'm not even very much of a Stretch fan (but they're growing on me) and had never liked any other blue knife. I think I'll get along fine with this Dark Blue Manix2 though. Now to order a couple of deep-carry Caly clips.
    Last edited by DougC-3; 04-19-2014 at 08:40 AM. Reason: oops
    MY SPYDIE LIST (on profile page)
    Want List: New Stretch prototype Coyote G-10 slab/ZDP test sprint!

Got mine in today, I noticed the blue seems to turn colors depending on what type of light its in..sometimes it seems go from blue to a aqua green or blueish green color..very cool effect.

Liking it so far..depend on Spyderco to constantly raise the bar for all the other knife companies to try to reach/keep up with..

Spyderco Forum Registered User Evil D's Avatar
    Someone mentioned the idea of S110V replacing S30V? Didn't we read here that there's a limited amount of S110V? Or was that 20CP I'm thinking of?

SHARPEN IT LIKE YOU LOVE IT, USE IT LIKE YOU HATE IT
    ~David

Official plea to Sal: Can we PLEASE get a DLC Yojimbo 2? PLEASE!!?

Spyderco Forum Registered User PayneTrain's Avatar
    Just got mine yesterday from GP. Love the knife as a whole, but the lock is damn stiff. My weak morning grip can barely operate it as I sit here playing with it. Other than that, I can't wait to beat the hell out of this thing. Something about it just says "come on, hit me again!" Stupid jerk knife...

Another thing, did everyone get one of these "Product information and warranty guides"? Are edge-u-cation sheets old news now? I like it, it's got pictures!

Spyderco Forum Registered User senorsquare's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil D View Post
    Someone mentioned the idea of S110V replacing S30V? Didn't we read here that there's a limited amount of S110V? Or was that 20CP I'm thinking of?
    I recall a rumor last year maybe that 204P was going to be discontinued but that was proven false. Is that the one you were thinking of? Seems to me that there's a fair amount of S110V in knives on the street these days with ZT, Strider and now Spyderco regularly putting S110V models. I would certainly love to see more of it.

Spyderco Forum Registered User nccole's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PayneTrain View Post
    Just got mine yesterday from GP. Love the knife as a whole, but the lock is damn stiff. My weak morning grip can barely operate it as I sit here playing with it. Other than that, I can't wait to beat the hell out of this thing. Something about it just says "come on, hit me again!" Stupid jerk knife...

Another thing, did everyone get one of these "Product information and warranty guides"? Are edge-u-cation sheets old news now? I like it, it's got pictures!
    Mine from GP was stiff for about a day in and half. I did play with quite a bit. I wouldn't mess with the pivot until you carry it for a couple days. I loosened mine and got a bit of play, then pretty much put it right back where it came from the factory, and it is great now. It falls closed and comes out easily.

CPM-S125V was discontinued as far as i know. All the other ones are still in production. I'm sure if somebody put up the cash crucible could make a batch but it would probably be pretty costly.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Ankerson's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by VashHash View Post
    CPM-S125V was discontinued as far as i know. All the other ones are still in production. I'm sure if somebody put up the cash crucible could make a batch but it would probably be pretty costly.
    They still make it on special order, but it is VERY expensive and difficult to produce.

From my experience though it's something different. Even dull it still seems to want to cut. But i don't think it was ideally heat treated in my sample. Didn't hold a razor edge for long at all. I'm sure spyderco would do better.

Spyderco Forum Registered User PayneTrain's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nccole View Post
    Mine from GP was stiff for about a day in and half. I did play with quite a bit. I wouldn't mess with the pivot until you carry it for a couple days. I loosened mine and got a bit of play, then pretty much put it right back where it came from the factory, and it is great now. It falls closed and comes out easily.
    Oh the pivot is pretty spot on. I meant the lock spring. It takes a good amount of force and grip to disengage it as opposed to my Sage 3, which is much more comfortable as well. Not a huge fan of the grip on the BB lock. I find the round stud of the Sage to be easier on the fingers. I'll get over it though.

Spyderco Forum Registered User RadioactiveSpyder's Avatar
    The callous will build nicely for sure!
    It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. Stephen King

Quote Originally Posted by PayneTrain View Post
    Oh the pivot is pretty spot on. I meant the lock spring. It takes a good amount of force and grip to disengage it as opposed to my Sage 3, which is much more comfortable as well. Not a huge fan of the grip on the BB lock. I find the round stud of the Sage to be easier on the fingers. I'll get over it though.
    You do know the Sage 3 has a totally different lock right?

~David

Spyderco Forum Registered User gbelleh's Avatar
    Mine came in today, and I have to say it's a fine specimen. Solid, smooth, centered, evenly ground with a nice razor edge. Great job on this one!

I was a little surprised at how close the texture of this FRN is to the texture of the FRCP Manix 2. This FRN doesn't seem to have that nice, almost slightly rubbery softness of most FRN (like the Delica or stretch). This FRN seems harder to the touch. Definitely more like FRCP than Delica FRN. Not a complaint, just an observation.

Very nice!

My New Gear Review YouTube Channel

Latest Spydies: Lum Tanto FB Sprint, Green CTS-204P Para 2, K390 Mule, 2013 Forum Native 5, Domino, Blue G-10 Lava, Cruwear Military, Swick 3, Jot Singh Khalsa sprint, Hungarian Folder, CF S90V Manix 2 XL, Fluted Ti Military, Fluted Ti Native 5, Nilakka, Brown XHP Native, Equilibrium, Street Bowie, Lil Matriarch, Cat

My favorite part of that handle is the round bug in the middle instead of an oval with the knife name on it. The round part flows much better.

~David

Spyderco Forum Registered User 3rdGenRigger's Avatar
    I thought all the Manix LW knives had FRCP handles, and the rest had FRN. Did they switch the previous two (Black and blue translucent) to FRN as well, or are they still FRCP? What's the upcoming Native LW in? FRN or FRCP?
    Ladybug (Salt/SuperBlue/White SE), Native (FRN), Dragonfly (Salt/Orange/SuperBlue/G10), Lava (Blue), Ulize, Byrdwrench
    Para-Military 2 (Digi-Cam/Green), Jester (Grey), Caly3/3.5 (CF), Domino (Blue), Stretch (SuperBlue), Spyderwrench
    Schempp Tuff, Goddard OD, Mule (K390), Manix2 (CruWear), Sage 3 (CF), Vallotton, Techno, Spin (Blue Nishijin)
    2013 Forum Native, Delica 4 (Damascus), Chokwe, Swick 3, Battlestation, Military (CruWear), Ti Salsa

-> Branden

Quote Originally Posted by gbelleh View Post
    Mine came in today, and I have to say it's a fine specimen. Solid, smooth, centered, evenly ground with a nice razor edge. Great job on this one!

I was a little surprised at how close the texture of this FRN is to the texture of the FRCP Manix 2. This FRN doesn't seem to have that nice, almost slightly rubbery softness of most FRN (like the Delica or stretch). This FRN seems harder to the touch. Definitely more like FRCP than Delica FRN. Not a complaint, just an observation.

Very nice!

Nice knife and photographs of the same!

Ugh mine is in a USPS facility in Cincinnati right now. I could drive there in 15 minutes and get it but I have to wait for them to bring it Monday. Sometimes tracking is torture.

~David

Spyderco Forum Registered User FCM415's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gbelleh View Post

Very nice!
    I know exactly what you're saying, that's my take on it as well pretty much. No complaints here also.

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdGenRigger View Post
    I thought all the Manix LW knives had FRCP handles, and the rest had FRN. Did they switch the previous two (Black and blue translucent) to FRN as well, or are they still FRCP? What's the upcoming Native LW in? FRN or FRCP?
    It did but Mr. Janich posted here telling us of the change to FRN for this one about a month ago. I'm fine with either really but of course FRN has years and years behind it.

From what I know right now, the N5 LWT will still be FRCP, someone correct me if I am wrong. The BD1 Manix LWTs are still FRCP.
    Upcoming: N5 CF/S110v, N5 LWT, DragonFly SB, Marcin Slysz Bowie, Farid Mehr K2, Peter Carey Rubicon, Gayle Bradley Fixed Blade, Phil Wilson Sprig, Mule Team 4V

(Some) Wishes: Native5 CHIEF, Sub 4 inch versions of the Mehr K2 and Carey Rubicon, More M4 and Use CPM-154!