Page 28 of 28 FirstFirst ... 18262728

Thread: Is this the S110V lightweight Manix 2?

Spyderco Forum Registered User kwakster's Avatar
    At the last Amsterdam Meet Sal told us that S110V steel ranked lower in the edge holding department than S90V steel.
    I'm still wondering by what margin.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Evil D's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kwakster View Post
    At the last Amsterdam Meet Sal told us that S110V steel ranked lower in the edge holding department than S90V steel.
    I'm just curious why 110 got the nod for standard production over 90....?

SHARPEN IT LIKE YOU LOVE IT, USE IT LIKE YOU HATE IT
    ~David

Official plea to Sal: Can we PLEASE get a DLC Yojimbo 2? PLEASE!!?

Spyderco Forum Registered User Ankerson's Avatar

I think that was back when they were having some problems with it, it's not exactly easy to work with or to heat treat, but that was early on if I can remember right.

Best to let Sal ring in on it though.
    Last edited by Ankerson; 04-30-2014 at 01:02 PM.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Brock O Lee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rodloos View Post
    Got an email yesterday that mine is on the way though, so they did get some more in.
    You're right, I got my shipping notice from KW a few mins ago... Now 5-7 days to this corner of the world if all goes according to plan.
    Hans

Tuff, Military (S90V, M4, S30V SE), Paramilitary 2 (20CP, M390, 204P), Gayle Bradley, Manix (LW S110V, M4), Forum Native 5, Caly 3 (ZDP, SB), Delica SB, Sage 2, Salt 1 SE, Dragonfly H1 SE
    South Fork, Mule Team (Elmax, S110V), Aqua Salt SE

Spyderco Forum Registered User Donut's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ankerson View Post
    I start physical therapy tomorrow so we will see.
    Just convince them to add cut testing into your routine.

Two birds with one stone.
    -Brian
    A distinguished lurker.
    Chat with us. Sharpthings - A Blog Site

Spyderco Forum Registered User Evil D's Avatar
    I was just watching an episode of Dexter, and a lady was tied up using those heavy black zip ties like I cut in the video, and Dexter cut through them with his pocket knife and made it look like he was cutting through twine lol. Oh you sneaky television people, didn't get that one past me

SHARPEN IT LIKE YOU LOVE IT, USE IT LIKE YOU HATE IT
    ~David

Official plea to Sal: Can we PLEASE get a DLC Yojimbo 2? PLEASE!!?

Spyderco Forum Registered User DRKBC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil D View Post
    I was just watching an episode of Dexter, and a lady was tied up using those heavy black zip ties like I cut in the video, and Dexter cut through them with his pocket knife and made it look like he was cutting through twine lol. Oh you sneaky television people, didn't get that one past me
    I saw him cut the strapping off of some steel barrels full of formaldehyde that a number of young ladies were stored in before being thrown in a swamp. He used a Benchmade for that task and then offered to give it away to his lady friend in order to gain her trust. It such a warm and fuzzy show, great for the whole family. I can't wait for the Christmas special, maybe he will cut up Donny and Marie and throw them off of the back of his boat.

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    I miss Dexter! Awesome show.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Liquid Cobra's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ABX2011 View Post
    I miss Dexter! Awesome show.
    Horrible ending
    Top 3 's: Lum Tanto Folder, Yojimbo 2, Para-Military 2
    Coming Soon Wish List: Yojimbo 2 CF S90V PREORDERED!!! X 2, Kiwi 4, K2, Roadie, Dog Tag Folder, Lum Tanto Fixed
    On The Fence: Rubicon, Roc, PITS, Native 5 (G10), Caly 3.5 CF
    Most recently acquired: Kahr Delica, G10 UKPK's, Black Southard,Para-Military 2 Elmax, Para-Military 2 CTS 2
    Grail: A.T.R.

Spyderco Forum Registered User senorsquare's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil D View Post
    I'm always careful, because peoples tastes differ quite a bit, but when I feel this confident in the performance of a knife, it's really hard not to sing it's praises. I'm a pretty damn picky person so if I'm this satisfied with something, I think most other people will be too. Like I said, I really don't know if I'd want this knife in G10 now. It's a tough call. I've never cared THAT much about the weight of my knives, but I definitely don't mind them being lighter as opposed to heavier. Aside from the scale-to-scale inward flexing like I showed in that video, the handle doesn't feel any less sturdy to me than my Stretch does. One of my struggles between the Para 2 and Manix 2 was always that the Para was noticeably lighter than the Manix...but this is definitely a one up for the Manix. There definitely is some texture/feel difference between this FRN and Japan FRN, but not enough that it takes anything away for me personally. I'm considering taking some sandpaper to the outside "ring" of the handle...just the spine portion and all the way around to the bottom grip area, but stopping before you get into the bidirectional texture area. Just enough to rough it up a little, sort of like rough micarta but not that rough. We'll see.

In a perfect world, they'd do this knife in solid G10 slabs and only use those tiny litte 8 shaped liners around the pivot, and that's it. Keep the wire clip. Then, I think I would like it that much more. It would be similar in weight, and much more moddable in the handle area. That's about the only way I think I'd prefer G10.
    I just sanded the outer edges of mine with some 100 grit to rough it up a little. The edges were a little too slick for my taste and I was having some trouble with my fingers wanting to slip when opening the knife. That was my only gripe with the knife and the sandpaper seems to have fixed it.

The handles are surprisingly stout for such a lightweight knife. Seems the backspacer along the spine gives it a good bit of lateral strength and I wouldn't hesitate to put it through some hard use if needed.

If anybody is still having trouble getting one they're available at Knife Center now.
    MY SPYDIE LIST (on profile page)
    Want List: New Stretch prototype Coyote G-10 slab/ZDP test sprint!

Spyderco Forum Registered User Gunslinger's Avatar
    The place I usually order my knives from just got a shipment of the light weight S110v Manix in. I managed to snag one some Howe.

First impressions

Mine arrived today from National with only two days shipping across country. This was my second order, the other with another company is still in "pre-order" status. I have several other Manix 2s, so was not surprised by the form or shape. My current regular pocket carry is the Manix 2 CPM M4, large belt pouch carry is the Manix XL with S90V and small or dress-up carry is the carbon Chaparral with CTS XHP. I am a recent Spyderco convert. Benchmade was until just until 2012 my most frequent carry (710 M2 or 520 M4), and never have all three current carry sizes come from one maker. This is my first lightweight handle material Spyderco, and it is very light. Grip is comfortable, and with the pattern in the side, plenty grippy. I will not need to rough up the edges. I have long fingers, so, like the other Manix 2, it feels a little small to me. Seems to be just the right maximum size for comfortable pocket carry.

I wish that the blade profile had a little more belly, but wasn't expecting more. The blade finish and edge bevel is very course. Edge angle is approximately 30 degrees and will ultimately take quite a bit of re-profiling on an Apex. But, the micro-bevel (other than one inch of wire edge) seems very sharp. It is easily shaving and phone book paper push-cutting sharp, but not hair popping or splitting sharp. My intention ( if I can keep my intention, that is) is to use the edge they way it is until it begins to dull. The action and lockup are tight with no wobble and easily opens and closes. No need for adjustment there.

Originally, I was planning to put the S110v blade in another handle with liner, but it will stay right here since I see it being either a great lightweight pocket or fanny pack knife. Most knives that I get, after handling for a while, go right back into their box and into either the safe, or to the "for sale" pile. But not this one. It is a real keeper. In fact, with the price, blade steel, materials and configuration, it is now one of my top 5 folding knives. A real keeper. Very fine job Spyderco.

IMHO, the Manix 2 S110V is really going to be a standard by which lightweight high quality production folding knives are measured in the future, just like the Benchmade 710 with M2 steel was for so very long.

UPDATE: 5/4/2014
    I have tested the Manix 2 s110v, a Manix 2 with M4, Manix XL with s90v and Benchmade Nimravus with M2. The S110V had factory edge, the others were sharpened on and Apex Edge Pro to a primary bevel of 28 degrees polished to 600 grit Edge Pro stones with 10,000 Chocera stone grit micro-bevel at 32 degrees inclusive. Test was 1.cutting two medium cardboard boxes, 2. twenty cuts through sports magazines (about 80 pages each cut), 3. shred 15 pieces or printed copy paper, 4. slice apple, 5. cut cooked chicken meat and 6. slice off 20 stems of standing wild grass. After the test, all knives are noticeably duller. But, the S110v has the most edge worsening. It will not shave hair or push cut or even cleanly slice phone book paper. All the others will shave and push cut, though not as cleanly as before. I am somewhat disappointed, but at this point I think that the factory edge was the main problem. Part of the edge with the wire edge is bent over. So, I will re-profile the edge, bring up the others to the same level of sharpness and re-do the testing when I am able.

UPDATE 5.8
    The s110v re-profiling took a long time, and lots of patience, but it was worth it! The edge sharpened to the above specs just zips through phone book paper. None of the edge problems noted earlier have re-appeared. After a few days, it is much more enjoyable for edc than the normal Manix2 design. The textured grip makes it very easy to bring out of the pocket. But, after using both side by side now for several days, the Manix2 with steel liners and Micarta grips is more enjoyable to handle, open, close and cut with. In addition, "snick" when opening and closing the regular model (limited edition in CPM M4 used) is definitely more enjoyable than the FRN model. The Micarta grips and steel liners make the original design sound like a fine piece of precision equipment.
    Last edited by Raymond3; 05-08-2014 at 10:44 AM. Reason: Update

Spyderco Forum Registered User Mobile FireLord's Avatar
    That is not same as data from Crucible. They have indicated S110V has more wear resistance.
    http://www.crucible.com/PDFs%5CDataS...110Vv12010.pdf

Take a look at wear resistance weight loss.

Perhaps but edge holding and wear resistance are not the same thing. Edges dull via additional mechanisms beyond wear resistance in real world use.

Spyderco Forum Registered User nccole's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tvenuto View Post
    Perhaps but edge holding and wear resistance are not the same thing. Edges dull via additional mechanisms beyond wear resistance in real world use.
    That is true, but I would guess that Sal's statement is based on a testing method used that is similar to what Crucible is doing to base their data from. I know Spyderco at least does some CATRA testing. I am betting the difference is as was stated, hardness level. If you look at the chart, it shows that S90V at 61 has less weight loss than S110V at 60.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Ankerson's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nccole View Post
    That is true, but I would guess that Sal's statement is based on a testing method used that is similar to what Crucible is doing to base their data from. I know Spyderco at least does some CATRA testing. I am betting the difference is as was stated, hardness level. If you look at the chart, it shows that S90V at 61 has less weight loss than S110V at 60.

I think so, it would have to a lot with the heat treatment, tempering process and final hardness....

And if the blades were CYRO treated or not...

Max hardness of S90V is 61 RC for use in knife blades while S110V can be taken up to the 64 RC range.

Both steels have 9% Vanadium while S110V has Niobium and Cobalt added and higher Carbon and Chromium percentages than S90V.

S110V isn't easy to heat treat and temper especially in the production setting in hardness ranges over 60 HRC so that all has to be worked out to provide the best results.

But start comparing S90V at 60-61 and S110V at 62-63 and there will be a very large difference in performance taking into count proper HT and tempering processes.

S110V is a new steel for Spyderco so we have to give them time to work things out, although I think they got it right hitting 62 HRC and from my own testing.
    Last edited by Ankerson; 05-12-2014 at 09:48 AM.