Thread: Very strong detent on Techno

Spyderco Forum Registered User dgebler's Avatar

Very strong detent on Techno

So I picked up a techno a few weeks ago and have been carrying this pretty regular since. I really like the knife, ergo's and just overall look and feel of the knife. I haven't found much in my daily use this does not excel at even with the thick blade, but the one thing which is a little difficult for me is opening this knife slowly. I first thought it would be a great work knife due to the smaller less intimidating size, but the detent is so strong on my example I really have a hard time opening the knife in a slow, controlled manner. It is not that the action is rough or the pivot too tight, it just has one heck of a detent. I don't want to complain too much, because I hate having a loose detent that I worry about unintentional opening (not a question with the techno) but this one is tough to overcome. It flys out with a thumb flick, but as I said I would rather open slowly for the most part. Anyone else find this to be especially stiff??? I am not sure if there is any way to break this in (or just open and use it alot).

Spyderco Forum Registered User gbelleh's Avatar
    Mine is the same way. I sometimes use the middle finger on the opposite side of the hole to assist the thumb in getting it past the detent, then continue opening slowly with the thumb.
    My New Gear Review YouTube Channel

Latest Spydies: Lum Tanto FB Sprint, Green CTS-204P Para 2, K390 Mule, 2013 Forum Native 5, Domino, Blue G-10 Lava, Cruwear Military, Swick 3, Jot Singh Khalsa sprint, Hungarian Folder, CF S90V Manix 2 XL, Fluted Ti Military, Fluted Ti Native 5, Nilakka, Brown XHP Native, Equilibrium, Street Bowie, Lil Matriarch, Cat

Spyderco Forum Registered User Clip's Avatar
    I fought with mine quite a bit before I had to make the conscious effort to stop squeezing the lockbar when I tried to open it. Also, darn near destroyed my thumb on the corner of the titanium scale where the hole cutout is before I adapted. Had been thinking about grinding that to open it up more but I'm happy I learned to deal with it.
    Click here to zoom: Under the Microscope

Manix2, Elmax MT13, M4 Manix2, ZDP Caly3, ZDP Caly Jr, SB Caly3.5, M390 Para2, Cruwear MT12, Techno, XHP MT16, South Fork, SB Caly3, Manix2 Ltwt, Salt I, 20CP Para2, Military Left Hand, Perrin PPT, Forum Native5, Squeak, Manix 83mm, 440V Military, Gayle Bradley, Swick3, Lil' Temperance, Cruwear Military, VG10 Jester, Terzuola SlipIt, XHP Native Ltwt, Domino, CPM154/S90V Para2, SB Stretch, D2 Para, Dfly2 Salt, Tasman Salt

Chris

Spyderco Forum Registered User donutsrule's Avatar
    Yeah, mine's pretty robust, too. Those Taichung folks really love their detents.

Spyderco Forum Registered User LC Kid's Avatar
    Hi Folks!

Mine is very strong, even after a year or so using it.

But I really love the whole 'bank vault' F&F, it feels like a huge tool in your hand.

I'm used to the idea that the very strong detent has the main purpose of avoid accidental opening of the blade, and being that very thick wide and heavy blade that's a real concern when in the pocket.

And that strong detent will also help big time when somebody wants to prove it is some kind of 'gravitational knife'.
    Stay Sharp!

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    This was brought up a few times, you might be unlucky, but most of the time the detent is not to blame. Because the techno is so small your fingers naturally puts pressure against the lock bar when holding/opening one handed, this obviously makes the knife difficult to open as you are not allowing outward movement of the lock bar to overcome the detent. Try open it two handed, being conscious of the lock bar, and see if you have the same trouble, if not you need to practice how you open it, keeping your finger from gripping the lock.

My Techno is crazy smooth. Perhaps lubricate the pivot and detent?

The detent is nothing more than a ball, that seats into a hole or divot in the blade, under tension of the lockbar, no magic involved. Either the lock bar was over bent in MFG causing excess tension, or the user is the one providing the tension by incorrect technique, usually the latter. Do you notice the lock is unusually difficult to disengage?

Yea...I think it is pretty much just user error. I have been exerting pressure on the lockbar (this is difficult to avoid as stated above due to the small size, my fingers have to go somewhere). The lockbar is also fairly stiff to unlock as well, but I really appreciate this as it gives me extra confidence in the bank vault lock-up.

In addition to putting pressure on the lockbar, I realized with the geometry of this knife I needed to change the path of my thumb (if this makes sense) to open more effectively. I was trying to put pressure on the top right side of the hole (towards the spine and away from the tip) and it felt like I had to really force it to get the knife open without flicking. After many attempts to reduce lockbar pressure and open in a smooth but controlled manner I realized if I put pressure on the bottom right (towards the spine and towards the tip) the knife is much easier to open.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Holland's Avatar
    Congrats on the Techno!
    Phil Wilson Smoke Creek s110v, SouthFork, Gayle Bradley, Chaparral 1, Chaparral 2, Native 5, Para2, Para1 SE, Caly 3, Dragonfly 2, Dragonfly 2, Delica 4, Ladybug 3

-Spencer

Spyderco Forum Registered User 3rdGenRigger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Clip View Post
    I fought with mine quite a bit before I had to make the conscious effort to stop squeezing the lockbar when I tried to open it. Also, darn near destroyed my thumb on the corner of the titanium scale where the hole cutout is before I adapted. Had been thinking about grinding that to open it up more but I'm happy I learned to deal with it.
    Exactly the same thing I found.
    Ladybug (Salt/SuperBlue/White SE), Native (FRN), Dragonfly (Salt/Orange/SuperBlue/G10), Lava (Blue), Ulize, Byrdwrench
    Para-Military 2 (Digi-Cam/Green), Jester (Grey), Caly3/3.5 (CF), Domino (Blue), Stretch (SuperBlue), Spyderwrench
    Schempp Tuff, Goddard OD, Mule (K390), Manix2 LW (BD1), Sage 3 (CF), Vallotton, Techno
    2013 Forum Native, Delica 4 (Damascus), Chokwe, Swick 3, Battlestation, Military (CruWear)

-> Branden

Spyderco Forum Registered User Donut's Avatar
    Try to train yourself to put your pointer finger on the pivot while opening.

That's one of the annoying things that makes me stay away from framelocks.
    -Brian
    A distinguished lurker.
    Chat with us. Sharpthings - A Blog Site

You can also try putting your fingertips on the outside edge of the lock bar touching or almost touching the blade. This will allow you to apply force in the opposite direction of your thumb while not pushing in on the lock.

Quote Originally Posted by gph View Post
    You can also try putting your fingertips on the outside edge of the lock bar touching or almost touching the blade. This will allow you to apply force in the opposite direction of your thumb while not pushing in on the lock.
    This has been my best strategy, along with pushing more towards the tip with my thumb arc (instead or upwards towards the pivot).

I've never been able to flick mine open like I can the Zulu or Chokwe, but it's still awesomeness.

Spyderco Forum Registered User 3rdGenRigger's Avatar
    You have to flick your thumb more laterally than you would for the Chokwe or PM2 which flick open with a fairly vertical thumb flick...it helps clear the cutout in the frame, and it really does make a difference not having a finger pushing the lockbar closed. Once you get used to it, it will become second nature.
    Ladybug (Salt/SuperBlue/White SE), Native (FRN), Dragonfly (Salt/Orange/SuperBlue/G10), Lava (Blue), Ulize, Byrdwrench
    Para-Military 2 (Digi-Cam/Green), Jester (Grey), Caly3/3.5 (CF), Domino (Blue), Stretch (SuperBlue), Spyderwrench
    Schempp Tuff, Goddard OD, Mule (K390), Manix2 LW (BD1), Sage 3 (CF), Vallotton, Techno
    2013 Forum Native, Delica 4 (Damascus), Chokwe, Swick 3, Battlestation, Military (CruWear)

-> Branden