Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Yojimbo 2: initial thoughts and a word for Michael Janich

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    Excellent post Mike, thank you for all the info. I'm glad to hear that making a functional everyday utility was part of the design philosophy. I didn't figure that just happened by accident. Anyway, I enjoyed reading your thoughts on the design...so now I dont have to feel like I am out plowing fields with a racehorse. . The yojimbo 2 may be a helluva sd knife, but I'd hate to see it get pigeonholed in that category because it seems to be just a helluva pocket knife too!

Spyderco Forum Registered User gbelleh's Avatar
    I've always found the Yo2 one of the easiest Spydies to open. The heavy blade seems to just fly out with a tiny flick of the thumb. It's also very easy to middle finger flick open. It's probably my favorite design ergonomically after the Para 2.
    My New Gear Review YouTube Channel

Latest Spydies: Lum Tanto FB Sprint, Green CTS-204P Para 2, K390 Mule, 2013 Forum Native 5, Domino, Blue G-10 Lava, Cruwear Military, Swick 3, Jot Singh Khalsa sprint, Hungarian Folder, CF S90V Manix 2 XL, Fluted Ti Military, Fluted Ti Native 5, Nilakka, Brown XHP Native, Equilibrium, Street Bowie, Lil Matriarch, Cat

Spyderco Forum Registered User Donut's Avatar
    I have been having good luck with my Yo 2. Out of 30 tries, I usually have one missed opening where my thumb slips off the end of the hole.

There is a little variation in action between production samples. The first one I ever owned has nice action, the detent isn't too strong or too weak. I traded for a second one (originally planned to be a gift) and the person I traded said it was new in box. When I got it, the detent felt like it was gigantic and releasing the lock took a lot of pressure to the point that my finger hurt after closing it 10 times. I sent it to Spyderco for warranty and it came back operating well, but the lock spring felt maybe 10% greater than my first Yojimbo 2. It's definitely acceptable, but the first one feels better.

I think that Chuck's difficulty with his Yo 2 could just be a variation of production making it not land in his sweet spot. It would either be that or that the angles of the design just don't work with how he wants the knife to operate.
    -Brian
    A distinguished lurker.
    Chat with us. Sharpthings - A Blog Site

Spyderco Forum Registered User Evil D's Avatar
    Mike I don't think any of us would dispute anything you posted, just saying that guys with larger thumbs and/or gloved hands may find the hole to be small or hard to get at. I typically wear a size large hand, but my hands are quite large, most people are shocked at how big they are. I do feel that a lot of the large hole envy comes from other knives that have it, and being spoiled on how simple they are to get your thumb in, but the gloved part does hit home with me because I do often wear gloves in the winter and even with the mods I've done to my handle there's no way I could open it with any kind of gloves on, probably not even Mechanics brand gloves that are very thin. If a person carried a Para 2 or Military for a long time, I have no doubt they would find the Yojimbo's hole to be on the small side. On one hand I completely see your philosophy and intended use, and on the other I'm a big handed glove wearing guy who would sacrifice having a wider profile when closed if it meant getting a larger thumb hole.

SHARPEN IT LIKE YOU LOVE IT, USE IT LIKE YOU HATE IT
    ~David

Official plea to Sal: Can we PLEASE get a DLC Yojimbo 2? PLEASE!!?

I love everything about my yo2. If fits my hands so perfectly that it couldn't be better if you tried to build it for my individual hand! But I am now on evil D's bandwagon; can we have a dlc version please?!?

Administrator
    Hey, Evil D:

Your feedback makes perfect sense. It also highlights the challenge of trying to make a one-size-fits-all design. Maybe we need a Mega-Yojimbo... Created by nuclear radiation in the last days of World War II... to fight Godzilla... and save Tokyo.... It would surely have a black blade...

Stay safe,

Mike
    Michael Janich
    Spyderco Special Projects Coordinator
    Founder and Lead Instructor, Martial Blade Concepts

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Janich View Post
    Hey, Evil D:

Your feedback makes perfect sense. It also highlights the challenge of trying to make a one-size-fits-all design. Maybe we need a Mega-Yojimbo... Created by nuclear radiation in the last days of World War II... to fight Godzilla... and save Tokyo.... It would surely have a black blade...

Stay safe,

Mike
    Don't tease me like that man!

~David

Spyderco Forum Registered User Donut's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil D View Post
    I typically wear a size large hand, but my hands are quite large, most people are shocked at how big they are.
    How exactly do you wear a large hand?

Maybe there's something to this story that we've all been missing!
    -Brian
    A distinguished lurker.
    Chat with us. Sharpthings - A Blog Site

Quote Originally Posted by Donut View Post

Skills man...if I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

~David

Spyderco Forum Registered User RadioactiveSpyder's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Donut View Post

I thought the same thing! He is "Evil" after all... Later on in the day, he wears other body parts...
    It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. Stephen King

Spyderco Forum Registered User gbelleh's Avatar
    It puts the lotion on its hands, or else it gets the Yos again!
    My New Gear Review YouTube Channel

Latest Spydies: Lum Tanto FB Sprint, Green CTS-204P Para 2, K390 Mule, 2013 Forum Native 5, Domino, Blue G-10 Lava, Cruwear Military, Swick 3, Jot Singh Khalsa sprint, Hungarian Folder, CF S90V Manix 2 XL, Fluted Ti Military, Fluted Ti Native 5, Nilakka, Brown XHP Native, Equilibrium, Street Bowie, Lil Matriarch, Cat

Spyderco Forum Registered User RadioactiveSpyder's Avatar
    Clever, clever Clarice!
    It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. Stephen King

Spyderco Forum Registered User Blerv's Avatar
    Sometimes a derailed thread actually gets better.

Eg: This
    Blake

Listing of Blade-Length Laws by State/County (Not My Website)
    http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/USKnife.pdf

Spyderco Forum Registered User bearfacedkiller's Avatar
    Mega Yojimbo, does that mean 3.5" blade? I could be into that. I say 3.5 because that is our limit here in CO.

I have a question about the yo2 design I understand it is longer than the yo1 but why shorter than the bewarned? Or did you find that any more length wasn't as useful.

Thank you

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by bornagainprimative View Post
    I have a question about the yo2 design I understand it is longer than the yo1 but why shorter than the bewarned? Or did you find that any more length wasn't as useful.

Thank you
    One of my other goals with the Yo2 was to make the closed length of the knife roughly the same as a Delica, which tucks into a back pocket very nicely.

Stay safe,

Mike
    Michael Janich
    Spyderco Special Projects Coordinator
    Founder and Lead Instructor, Martial Blade Concepts

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Janich View Post
    One of my other goals with the Yo2 was to make the closed length of the knife roughly the same as a Delica, which tucks into a back pocket very nicely.

Stay safe,

Mike
    Thank you for the quick response. I've been eyeing it up and seeing as I work in a warehouse it would be an amazing tool for me also. I think I'm going to go for the s90v one though.

Just in case any of you guys who wanted one didn't get it yet, Optics Planet has them for $133.79 minus 10% if you have an account at their Dvor.com branch and use the code 104DVOR at checkout. (you buy the knife at Optics Planet, not Dvor)
    MY SPYDIE LIST (on profile page)
    Want List: New Stretch prototype Coyote G-10 slab/ZDP test sprint!

Spyderco Forum Registered User TheFactor's Avatar
    Great thread guys and gals !
    Well I just placed the order for a Yojimbo 2 I've been wanting for a long time .
    Can't wait to get it !! I have a feeling though it won't be in my EDC rotation and instead will be my EDC

Spyderco Forum Registered User TheFactor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DougC-3 View Post
    Just in case any of you guys who wanted one didn't get it yet, Optics Planet has them for $133.79 minus 10% if you have an account at their Dvor.com branch and use the code 104DVOR at checkout. (you buy the knife at Optics Planet, not Dvor)
    That's a great price and there very hard to find . I delt with optic planet before though when buying a Black Hawk left handed holster I needed for a new gun . I needed a holster to clear a new tactical vest I got for my job so it was important I got it in a short time frame . They showed it in stock and ready to ship and two days later I received a email saying it wasn't in stock so it would be a 7 to 14 delay while they try to locate one . I was not happy to say the least . They were very nice about it though and refunded me my money . But when I see in stock I have to wonder is it really?
    I decided to purchase my YoJimbo 2 elsewhere . That was just my experience with them and others might feel differently . It was my first time of doing business with them and probably my last lol.