Thread: Martial Blade Concepts Seminar in SoCal... who's going?

Spyderco Forum Registered User

Martial Blade Concepts Seminar in SoCal... who's going?

Michael Janich will hold a 2-day seminar in Costa Mesa on May 31/June 1.

Here's the link to the MBC Website.

I'll be there... who else is going?
    Uli Gebhard
    www.gebhardsolutions.com

MBC Study Group Leader Southern CA

Even if you're on the right track - you get run over if you just sit there (Will Rogers)

Administrator
    I'll definitely be there!

I'm looking forward to getting back to California to do some training. I frequently get requests from folks all over that state wanting to know when I'll be doing a seminar in their area. As it stands right now, this will be my only West Coast seminar this year, so if you want to train in MBC, here's your chance.

I hope to see some Spyderco forumites there.

Stay safe,

Mike
    Michael Janich
    Spyderco Special Projects Coordinator
    Founder and Lead Instructor, Martial Blade Concepts

Mike,
    Any european seminars planned?

Spyderco Forum Registered User SpyderEdgeForever's Avatar
    Mr. Janich, I read your article in one of the Knives annuals about balisongs, it was great, thank you.

Are you familiar with the Hackman Finnish-made butterfly knives from the 1970s and 1980s? Those were very good.

Also, regarding self-defense, if you had a choice between a Spyderco Hawkbill bladed knife, and a straight bladed knife, which would you personally prefer, or does it depend on different factors?

Administrator
    Dear Goeri: I taught a seminar in Friedrichsafen, Germany, about a month ago and will likely be back there next March. I am also talking to Fred Perrin about returning to Paris later this year for a seminar, but that one is still uncertain. In the meantime, you might want to look into my MBC Distance Learning Program, a new online program that comes as close as possible to private lessons. Information on it is available on the home page of my MBC web site.

Dear SpyderEdgeForever: Thanks for the kind words on the article in the Knives annual. I'm glad you enjoyed it. Yes, I am familiar with the Hackman camp knives. I bought one back when I first joined the Army in the early 1980's. The nylon handles were very light and tight, so it didn't flip well. I took the handles off and made new ones from brass and rosewood and did the whole thing at the desk in my barracks room. The modified version flipped a lot better, but I eventually wore it out. I still have the blade somewhere--waiting for new handles.

I prefer wharncliffes to hawkbills because in MBC tactics I focus on cutting the limbs to stop the attacker. A wharncliffe cuts with full power all the way to the point, but is not prone to hooking or catching on bone. Depending upon the exact design, hawkbils are susceptible to that.

I hope this helps.

Stay safe,

Mike
    Michael Janich

Mike,

Thanks for the reply. I have started to follow you on facebook so i will not miss the events...

Trying to stay safe,

Goeri

Mike,

A big thank you for coming out to Orange County to teach this seminar.

Training with you directly to learn more advanced material was top of the list of requests at the end of local classes. I'm glad that we can make this happen.
    I'm looking particularly forward to the segment on tactical pens.

First of the two preparation courses will be this weekend - hope I get to post some pictures afterwards.

Cheers,

Uli
    Uli Gebhard
    www.gebhardsolutions.com

Even if you're on the right track - you get run over if you just sit there (Will Rogers)

The first intro/preparation course for the seminar was last weekend. 14 Students spent an afternoon working the core MBC techniques, getting their heads wrapped around the different angles of attack and how to deal with them efficiently. Everyone worked really hard, however one student thoroughly impressed me - at age 81, this lady was by far the oldest member of this group, but she showed very clearly that age is not a hindrance at all to learn defensive skills with the knife.

The class was at a new location in Lawndale and with the owner being part of the student group, there is a pretty good chance that we will use this location again in the future for training group gatherings. More to come - I'm waiting for a copy of the videos that our host took and will provide the links once I have that footage edited.

The clock is counting down for the second prep course in Costa Mesa and ultimately for the Seminar itself; May 31 is only six weeks out!
    Uli Gebhard
    www.gebhardsolutions.com

Administrator
    Hey, Uli:

Thank you very much for the AAR on your first prep class and for taking the time to give students a solid foundation before I come out. Although I love teaching the basics, due to time limitations, I rarely get to delve into the more advanced stuff in most seminars. Having a study group leader who can effectively prep students on the core skills before I get there is a huge advantage and ensures that we can focus on more advanced skills. That's the best way to provide a really progressive learning environment for everyone.

Keep up the great work!

Stay safe,

Mike
    Michael Janich

Mike,

thank you very much for your kind words. I'm only as good as the instructor who trained me .

I'm looking forward to learning new applications and most of all, getting hands-on time with the tactical pen, flashlight and improvised impact weapons. I've been working with the DVD material, but that can take me only so far.

Cheers,

Uli
    Uli Gebhard
    www.gebhardsolutions.com

Spyderco Forum Registered User SpyderEdgeForever's Avatar
    Michael Janich, I hope this is the right place to ask you this question. When it comes to your own personal preference, and your advised preference to others, regarding personal defense knives, do you recommend carbon or stainless steel, when it comes to blade materials?

One reason I ask, a book I was reading on this topic, the author said "carbon steel is nonsense for personal defense knives" because of its tendency to rust, and he says both men and women should only stick to stainless and stain-resistant steels. I have also been told by some combat knife people that it is best to keep the everyday utility tool knife seperate from one's personal defense knife. Do you agree with that, or is it okay to use the same tool for both purposes, as long as one properly maintains it? The reason given for this was the person said if you use your defense blade for tool use, it will likely get dull and not be ready when you need it.

Here is some footage from the introduction/skill refresher course last weekend. The seminar will be in the same gym - plenty of room, even for a large group.

Uli Gebhard
    www.gebhardsolutions.com

Only eight days to go!

Over the course of the last eight weeks, we had a good number of students go through Core Skills Courses. All of them did well and we now have a well-prepared group lined up for the seminar, that know how to use the master-technique on the five angles of attack. They also have a solid understanding how some of the MBC skills translate into unarmed combatives, which will make the seminar segment on improvised weapons such as tactical pens highly productive.

Mike, I'm looking forward to learning directly from you again!
    Uli Gebhard
    www.gebhardsolutions.com