Thread: eBay got hacked...change your passwords

Spyderco Forum Registered User Evil D's Avatar

eBay got hacked...change your passwords

I'm sure many of you use eBay. Might wanna look into this.
    money.cnn.com/2014/05/21/technology/security/ebay-passwords/

SHARPEN IT LIKE YOU LOVE IT, USE IT LIKE YOU HATE IT
    ~David

Official plea to Sal: Can we PLEASE get a DLC Yojimbo 2? PLEASE!!?

Spyderco Forum Registered User xceptnl's Avatar
    "A large number of accounts" .... I wonder how many of the 148 million user accounts.
    My 's:
    Native, Manix 2 (BD1,154CM,S30V,M4,XHP,S110V,Cruwear), Delica 4 (White,Red,Brown,Blue,BRG,G-10), Spyderhawk, D'fly (H1,G-10,SB), Police3, Volpe, Military (S30V,XHP,D2,M390,BG42,440V,Cruwear), Superleafs, Forager, D2 Para, Kopas, Kiwis, Caly (JR's,3,3.5), Para2 (XHP,204P), Stretch (SS,FRN's,CF), Rescues, Dyad Jr, Pingos, Southard, AIR, Jess Horns, Forum N5, Lil Matriarch, Barong, Superhawk, Chinook II, ATR, SPY-DK, Captain, Ti UKPK, Mules

*Landon*

Spyderco Forum Registered User The Deacon's Avatar
    Saw that on another news site yesterday. It was about time to do so anyway, so I changed my password figuring it can't hurt. However, I do find it a bit odd that there has been no message from eBay itself regarding this breach.
    Paul
    My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Kiwimania ---- Spydiewiki
    Dead horses beaten, sacred cows tipped, chimeras hunted when time permits.
    WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!

Quote Originally Posted by The Deacon View Post
    Saw that on another news site yesterday. It was about time to do so anyway, so I changed my password figuring it can't hurt. However, I do find it a bit odd that there has been no message from eBay itself regarding this breach.
    Also funny (not really) that it took 2 months to discover
    My 's:
    Native, Manix 2 (BD1,154CM,S30V,M4,XHP,S110V,Cruwear), Delica 4 (White,Red,Brown,Blue,BRG,G-10), Spyderhawk, D'fly (H1,G-10,SB), Police3, Volpe, Military (S30V,XHP,D2,M390,BG42,440V,Cruwear), Superleafs, Forager, D2 Para, Kopas, Kiwis, Caly (JR's,3,3.5), Para2 (XHP,204P), Stretch (SS,FRN's,CF), Rescues, Dyad Jr, Pingos, Southard, AIR, Jess Horns, Forum N5, Lil Matriarch, Barong, Superhawk, Chinook II, ATR, SPY-DK, Captain, Ti UKPK, Mules

*Landon*

Spyderco Forum Registered User Pinetreebbs's Avatar
    Thanks for the heads up, I changed my PW after LastPass posted a warning in Facebook, nothing from eBay. When my wife went to change her PW their servers were overloaded and displayed an error page that acknowledged the problem.

Another reason to use the PayPal security key to protect your account.
    Have you joined Knife Rights yet? Go to: www.KnifeRights.org
    Protecting your Right to own and carry the knives YOU choose.

Spyderco Forum Registered User chuck_roxas45's Avatar
    done...Thanks David.
    I always heard that you catch more flies with honey than with vinegar, but then you catch even more flies with poop

http://sharpthings.net/chat

http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45696

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    done too...

Was a hassle to find where :-)

Thanks!
    Si vis pacem parabellum

Spyderco Forum Registered User Spydersense's Avatar
    I changed mine last night when I heard about the breach. It is a little annoying that ebay didn't notify me about it.
    Time for another !

-Matt

I would have liked notification from eBay, but only a message within eBay. An email telling me to change my PW, especially if they had a link, would be very suspect.

Spyderco Forum Registered User The Deacon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinetreebbs View Post
    I would have liked notification from eBay, but only a message within eBay. An email telling me to change my PW, especially if they had a link, would be very suspect.
    True. In fact, it's reached the point where, unless an email is from a trusted friend, no matter who it is from or how genuine it looks I never, ever, click on a link. However, one good thing about eBay is that, aside from those about a specific item you have bid on, purchased, or asked to be notified when one is listed, genuine email messages from eBay always show up as messages in your eBay inbox as well when you log onto the site. So, if I'd received a "change your password" warning from them, I'd have been able to log on the way I normally do and verify whether or not it was genuine.

The one thing that does amaze me that more people seem to be worried about this relatively "low risk" (no SSN's, no financial data) data breach than about the Experian breach, which has to be both the largest and potentially most damaging consumer data breach in history. I know it's probably because so few of us ever dealt with Experian directly, so it just doesn't register that they know more about your finances than you do.
    Paul
    My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Kiwimania ---- Spydiewiki
    Dead horses beaten, sacred cows tipped, chimeras hunted when time permits.
    WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!

Spyderco Forum Registered User bh49's Avatar
    I am wondering, what id not getting hacked now? Yesterday on CNN was brought -up big utility company. Pentagon, microsoft, Target and so on on the past. It looks like security experts always one step behind hackers.
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"
    George Orwell
    Any knife without Spyderhole is defective.
    My top choices Native5, G10/VG10 Caly 3.5/3 & C83 Persian Black micarta/bolsters

Spyderco Forum Registered User Evil D's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bh49 View Post
    I am wondering, what id not getting hacked now? Yesterday on CNN was brought -up big utility company. Pentagon, microsoft, Target and so on on the past. It looks like security experts always one step behind hackers.
    This is why it's stupid to blame the company. That's like blaming the home owner who gets his house broken into.

SHARPEN IT LIKE YOU LOVE IT, USE IT LIKE YOU HATE IT
    ~David

Official plea to Sal: Can we PLEASE get a DLC Yojimbo 2? PLEASE!!?

Quote Originally Posted by Evil D View Post
    This is why it's stupid to blame the company. That's like blaming the home owner who gets his house broken into.
    To an extent, you are completely correct David. I do however believe that these companies make gross amounts of money and they alone are entrusted with the security of the information that they require of their customers. If they are not constantly keeping on top of their security measures, occurrences like this can happen more frequently.
    My 's:

*Landon*

... I know it's probably because so few of us ever dealt with Experian directly, so it just doesn't register that they know more about your finances than you do.
    This is so true. They seem to know if I shred my credit card offers the day I get them or wait until the weekend. Sometimes this world is scary and makes me want to go off the grid.
    My 's:

*Landon*

True. In fact, it's reached the point where, unless an email is from a trusted friend, no matter who it is from or how genuine it looks I never, ever, click on a link. However, one good thing about eBay is that, aside from those about a specific item you have bid on, purchased, or asked to be notified when one is listed, genuine email messages from eBay always show up as messages in your eBay inbox as well when you log onto the site. So, if I'd received a "change your password" warning from them, I'd have been able to log on the way I normally do and verify whether or not it was genuine.

The one thing that does amaze me that more people seem to be worried about this relatively "low risk" (no SSN's, no financial data) data breach than about the Experian breach, which has to be both the largest and potentially most damaging consumer data breach in history. I know it's probably because so few of us ever dealt with Experian directly, so it just doesn't register that they know more about your finances than you do.
    The Experian breach had to be a mother load of data, potentially providing answers to security validation questions. While I'm not into tin foil hats, paranoia about being constantly watched is in our DNA, it kept us from being eaten by lions in the tall grass. Today it's government, corporations and criminals hunting us.

Source: https://www.privacyassociation.org/p..._to_the_ground

Spyderco Forum Registered User

And the Phisers already started their work, sending fake eBay notification (and Paypal too). Be wary.

Some time today I got the following message in eBay:

eBay
    Important Password Update
    Reset Your Password eBay Inc. Information Site
    Keeping Our Buyers and Sellers Safe and Secure on eBay

On Wednesday, we announced that we are asking all eBay users to change their password. This is because of a cyberattack that compromised our eBay user database, which contained your encrypted password.

We take security on eBay very seriously, and we want to ensure that you feel safe and secure buying and selling on eBay. So we think it’s the right thing to do to have you change your password. And we want to remind you that it’s a good idea to always use different passwords for different sites and accounts. If you used your eBay password on other sites, we are encouraging you to change those passwords, too.

Here’s what we recommend you do the next time you visit eBay:

Take a moment to change your password. This will help further protect you; it’s always a good practice to periodically update your password. Millions of eBay users have already updated their passwords.
    Remember to always use different passwords on different sites and accounts. If you haven’t done this yet, take the time to do so.

Meanwhile, our team is committed to making eBay as safe and secure as possible. We are looking at other ways to strengthen security on eBay. In the coming days and weeks we may be introducing new security features. We’ll keep you updated as we do.

Thanks for your support and cooperation. eBay is your marketplace, and we are committed to keeping it one of the world’s safest places to buy and sell.

Devin Wenig

President, eBay Marketplaces