Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: A Better SAK

Spyderco Forum Registered User LC Kid's Avatar

Thumbs down Crappy Steel

Hi Folks!

I'm not a real hardcore fan for SAKs, they have always looked pretty boring to me.

In my book the best all-around SAK model is the good old Soldier. Or the Pioneer, which is essentially the same thing.

Since there are fellows like Swiss Bianco, there is not an issue to get any tool combination you might like in a SAK.

For me, the main issue for SAKs is the steel. Pretty Soft-Weak-No Edge Retention at All-Crappy steel. I mean, 50 years ago it might have been the best steel around, but today I've seen a lot of dirty cheap steels that can hold an edge waaay better than any SAK.

Never understood why Victorinox clearly doesn't want to improve the steel quality, and never will.
    Stay Sharp!

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by LC Kid View Post
    Hi Folks!

I'm not a real hardcore fan for SAKs, they have always looked pretty boring to me.

In my book the best all-around SAK model is the good old Soldier. Or the Pioneer, which is essentially the same thing.

Since there are fellows like Swiss Bianco, there is not an issue to get any tool combination you might like in a SAK.

For me, the main issue for SAKs is the steel. Pretty Soft-Weak-No Edge Retention at All-Crappy steel. I mean, 50 years ago it might have been the best steel around, but today I've seen a lot of dirty cheap steels that can hold an edge waaay better than any SAK.

Never understood why Victorinox clearly doesn't want to improve the steel quality, and never will.
    LC this is my frustration! Mediocrity is the enemy of greatness. Sure there are some great designs but why doesn't Wenger and Victorinox push the envelope? Plenty of knife may be a good design but there is a reason I don't carry a Buck 110. What would people think if Spyderco used the same steel as a SAK?
    Put alox on that ZDP-189 blade and it would be a winner

Spyderco Forum Registered User xceptnl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Skidoosh View Post
    Put alox on that ZDP-189 blade and it would be a winner
    YES.... Alox and ZDP would be a killer combination.
    I know a guy over on BF does custom handles for Victorinox has been planning some D2 blade swaps.
    My 's:
    Native, Manix 2 (BD1,154CM,S30V,M4,XHP,S110V,Cruwear), Delica 4 (White,Red,Brown,Blue,BRG,G-10), Spyderhawk, D'fly (H1,G-10,SB), Police3, Volpe, Military (S30V,XHP,D2,M390,BG42,440V,Cruwear), Superleafs, Forager, D2 Para, Kopas, Kiwis, Caly (JR's,3,3.5), Para2 (XHP,204P), Stretch (SS,FRN's,CF), Rescues, Dyad Jr, Pingos, Southard, AIR, Jess Horns, Forum N5, Lil Matriarch, Barong, Superhawk, Chinook II, ATR, SPY-DK, Captain, Ti UKPK, Mules

*Landon*

Spyderco Forum Registered User this_is_nascar's Avatar
    Not Alox, but here's your ZDP-189 in a SAK if that's what you really want.

http://www.gsi-japan.com/shop/html/p...product_id=133

http://www.gsi-japan.com/shop/html/p...product_id=134
    "The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun". --- Wayne LaPierre 12/21/2012

Spyderco Forum Registered User Monocrom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazz View Post
    I would disagree that Leatherman has improved. My old Wave is way better than the new. I detest those bits in them now. All the flatheads in the old are very usefull. Sorry for changing the subject. Victorinox SAK's are still the same for good reason.
    +1

The newer models rust while you're looking at them. S.S. my butt!
    "The World is insane, with small pockets of sanity here & there. Not the other way around."

-John Cleese-

Spyderco Forum Registered User araneae's Avatar
    I'm a Wenger fan myself. Been on a buying spree as they are going to be dropping most of the line as Victorinox decided to stop competing with themselves. I carry an sak almost daily as a good compliment to my spydies. I find the steel suitable for use as a back up. I wouldn't mind if they went to 12c27 as an upgraded steel, but will keep using them as is.
    So many knives, so few pockets...
    -Nick
    Light Modding and Wharnifying when time permits

Just got: Superblue D'fly

The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal

All fair points but most SAK's are cheap enough (here) to be virtually disposable. It means they get used / carried without worrying about them. I bought my nephew's an alox Farmer each for Xmas - each less than one tenth the price of a Millie. The blades are good enough for light duty work, and the important tools generally work well (bottle opener, corkscrew).
    As cutting tools per se, they fall well short of any Spyderco, but I have to see a dedicated Spydie cheese-knife...
    "Rules are for the adherence of fools, and the guidance of wise men".
    Military, PM2, Delica IV SG, Manix LW BD1, Chicago

I made a mistake in using the term Swiss Army Knife in this thread. I should have said a better non-pliers centered multi-tool. A single knife with a few more tool in decent steel

SAK's have a distinct financial edge in a cheaper price, Alox is great but I wonder about something in g-10.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Water Bug's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil D View Post
    No I completely agree. When I heard there was a Wave with S30V I was super excited until I saw those damn bit drivers. Better hope you never have to reach a screw that's recessed into something. That was a major factor in pushing me to buy a Victorinox Spirit instead of another Leatherman, and that's after nearly 20 years of carrying Leatherman.
    I, too, concur. The original Wave was most superior compared to the new. The only thing the original Wave didn't have was all-locking blades as compared to the new.

Also, I don't carry a Leatherman that uses bit drivers. I EDC the Leatherman Supertool 200, Supertool 300 on occasions, and Pulse on occasions. All three have the original Phillips head and assorted flathead screwdrivers with good reach. If I need to use hex bits, I attach a Leatherman Tool Adapter to my Supertools or Pulse... I get better reach plus I can angle the Tool Adapter to suit the need at hand.

And, to stay on topic, I'm rather pleased that the design of the Victorinox SAKs haven't changed. It's so nice to have something that, as they say, if it ain't broke, don't fix it! Now steel quality... well, for my needs the Victorinox steel works fine on the knife blades. I mean, my Leatherman tools have knive blades as well, but I usually draw my Spyderco blade first of I need to cut something.
    Last edited by Water Bug; 04-19-2014 at 07:08 PM.
    Spyderco WTC #1044

Spyderco Forum Registered User Donut's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Blerv View Post
    http://www.gsi-japan.com/shop/html/p...product_id=133

Not really such a thing as "better" but this is certainly a harder and higher carbon one.
    I placed an order for one of these Friday. Haven't heard anything back yet.

$90 plus $12 shipping.

We'll see how it goes.
    -Brian
    A distinguished lurker.
    Chat with us. Sharpthings - A Blog Site

If you want small I think the Leatherman Juice is a good choice. I think the Leatherman Skeletool is very easy to carry if you will use the pocket clip. For functionality I like my Leatherman Charge. It is easy enough to carry with the pocket clip but otherwise it is bulky and heavy. If I'm expecting to need the tool like on weekends I will carry it in my pocket.

Quote Originally Posted by Donut View Post

$90 plus $12 shipping.

We'll see how it goes.
    Looking forward to a review on this one. Post some pics if you are able.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Blerv's Avatar

$90 plus $12 shipping.

We'll see how it goes.
    Nice! Yea I'm very interested too
    Blake

Listing of Blade-Length Laws by State/County (Not My Website)
    http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/USKnife.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Skidoosh View Post
    Looking forward to a review on this one. Post some pics if you are able.
    I certainly will. I think the closest model I have to it is the Cutlery Shoppe Farmer. I can compare it to that.
    -Brian
    A distinguished lurker.

Spyderco Forum Registered User xceptnl's Avatar
    Pending a positive review, these could become a hot seller for them.... at least in our corner of the world!
    My 's:
    Native, Manix 2 (BD1,154CM,S30V,M4,XHP,S110V,Cruwear), Delica 4 (White,Red,Brown,Blue,BRG,G-10), Spyderhawk, D'fly (H1,G-10,SB), Police3, Volpe, Military (S30V,XHP,D2,M390,BG42,440V,Cruwear), Superleafs, Forager, D2 Para, Kopas, Kiwis, Caly (JR's,3,3.5), Para2 (XHP,204P), Stretch (SS,FRN's,CF), Rescues, Dyad Jr, Pingos, Southard, AIR, Jess Horns, Forum N5, Lil Matriarch, Barong, Superhawk, Chinook II, ATR, SPY-DK, Captain, Ti UKPK, Mules

*Landon*

Yeah, knife addicts will rejoice.
    -Brian
    A distinguished lurker.

To the OP, both the Vic and Wenger lines have several with locking mainblades. The Wenger has a 'locking' flathead driver when you push forward to exert torque on the screw. Wengers have been DC'd now, so if you find one or two you like, snatch them up.
    Stretch VG10 FRN, Caly Jr. VG10 FRN.

I was waiting for a shipping confirmation and not getting one. I was thinking it would be a month after it ships.

I checked their shipping policy, it says that they normally ship right away (probably monday for me considering the time difference) and use EMS, so with any luck it will get here Monday. *crossing my fingers*

I think that Victorinox makes a nice quality knife, but the steel on the blade could be a little nicer.
    -Brian
    A distinguished lurker.

Spyderco Forum Registered User IG-88's Avatar
    I was waiting for a shipping confirmation and not getting one. I was thinking it would be a month after it ships.

I checked their shipping policy, it says that they normally ship right away (probably monday for me considering the time difference) and use EMS, so with any luck it will get here Monday. *crossing my fingers*

I think that Victorinox makes a nice quality knife, but the steel on the blade could be a little nicer.

I couldn't resist aswell and went along ordering it a week ago and I received a shipping notice and trackingnumber the day after my purchase. Maybe you should contact them because I saw they manually forwarded the automatic message. The mail started with

I'm sorry.
    Retransmission
    I'm very curious to see how they overal compare to a real Vic...
    Current EDC: Techno, Squeak, Southard Flipper, Caly 3.5

New Arrivals: Chap3, Domino, Sage 3

2014 Wishlist: Yo2 CF, Deviant Friction, Tatanka, Tusk, Firefly

Oldies Wishlist: Delica CF PE, Civilian CF PE

Spyderco Forum Registered User IG-88's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by xceptnl View Post
    Pending a positive review, these could become a hot seller for them.... at least in our corner of the world!
    Here is a review, this blog was posted on Blades

http://chriscustomworks.com/2012/10/...trekking-tool/

PS for those who don't speak German the English translation is on the bottom of the page
    Current EDC: Techno, Squeak, Southard Flipper, Caly 3.5

New Arrivals: Chap3, Domino, Sage 3

2014 Wishlist: Yo2 CF, Deviant Friction, Tatanka, Tusk, Firefly

Oldies Wishlist: Delica CF PE, Civilian CF PE