Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A Better SAK

Spyderco Forum Registered User

A Better SAK

I wish there was a better Swiss Army Knife. I like carrying a knife I wish I had a phillips head at times and a flat head. My wish list is better steel in a knife and a lock. Sure there are multi-tools but they are too heavy for me to carry all the time or at the office. I like the new Emerson design but it seems a bit pricy for 440C. What is your dream design? What is out there that has some tools but is still easy to carry?

Spyderco Forum Registered User Evil D's Avatar
    I have yet to find the one tool that has it all. Even if a SAK had a super steel in it the ergonomics wouldn't make me happy enough to use it as a dedicated knife. Because of that I actually prefer the steel that Victorinox uses because it's a very tough steel and works great for the dirty jobs I wouldn't use my expensive knives for. I also find that I want and need pliers as much or more than screwdrivers so a multi gets the win for me. True they're heavy but that's the price you pay if you want a capable tool and not some keychain trinket. I carry a Victorinox Spirit clipped in my right back pocket next to my wallet.

SHARPEN IT LIKE YOU LOVE IT, USE IT LIKE YOU HATE IT
    ~David

Official plea to Sal: Can we PLEASE get a DLC Yojimbo 2? PLEASE!!?

Spyderco Forum Registered User ASmitty's Avatar
    I'll take my SAKs as-is anyday. I'm a SAK collector in addition to Spyderco, so I have an awful lot of them. I'm working on obtaining all of the "Swiss Battle Series" at the present time.
    "A flute with no holes is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a danish."

Spyderco Forum Registered User Donut's Avatar
    There are guys on EDC forums who pimp Swiss Army Knives. They'll swap the parts around (if they're still available), give you hard anodized Alox scales...

It might be worth looking in to.
    -Brian
    A distinguished lurker.
    Chat with us. Sharpthings - A Blog Site

Spyderco Forum Registered User gull wing's Avatar
    The only SAK I actually use is the Cadet, small size, thin, etc. I think I use the nail file most, large screw driver next.
    Waiting for....Calypso Jr.,

SCARAMOUCHE!

If you want a philips and flat head, my suggestion would be the sak Explorer as it has an inline philips that works great!

As mentioned, there are a few sak modder's on different forums like Multitool.org, EDC forums, etc. I am awaiting the CT 34 with the added mag glass and inline philips layer being added!

Spyderco Forum Registered User this_is_nascar's Avatar
    I've been carrying only my Victorinox Executive and Cadet exclusively for the last month or so. I'm finding that I prefer to allocate my pocket(s) space to a SAK that provides more than the single function that a knife/blade only provides. Matter of fact, I've been going ape-sh*t ordering Vics like they're going out of style. I picked up the Cadet that I mentioned, a Rambler right before that, I just received these (2) Bantams and have (2) Recruits that I should have by the end of the week. Combined, I don't think I spent $100 as of yet.

"The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun". --- Wayne LaPierre 12/21/2012

Spyderco Forum Registered User Blerv's Avatar
    http://www.gsi-japan.com/shop/html/p...product_id=133

Not really such a thing as "better" but this is certainly a harder and higher carbon one.
    Blake

Listing of Blade-Length Laws by State/County (Not My Website)
    http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/USKnife.pdf

Love these handy outdoors/utility knives. Been carrying one since my submariner days! Picked up an Explorer, Huntsman, Fieldmaster, Ranger, Champion, and Swisschamp recently! My boy has a Spartan, Climber, and Champion, and he loves them too! I don't really think you can improve upon SAK's, other than what's being done,ie. adding different implements. Just my 2 cents! )

Spyderco Forum Registered User Jazz's Avatar
    Just use the Victorinox small flathead/can opener for a Philips. It works fantastically. Try it.
    - best wishes, Jazz.

There are many fantastic SAK's out there, I love alox and the cadet is a winner. However I see the SAK as basically unchanged and unimproved over time, to me its a case of settling vs. progressing in design. Leatherman has had some good innovation. I just wish there was more innovation.
    My desires for improvement (and some these are out there in newer designs) are:
    1) One hand opening
    2) Locking -how about a compression lock in a SAK?
    3) Better steel- ZDP-189 Nice Knife Blerv!
    4) Slim carry - FRN on a SAK would be fine by me

There are already Victorinoxes that do #1 and #2.
    "The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun". --- Wayne LaPierre 12/21/2012

Personally, I like the Saks the way they are now. The steel sharpens easily in the field.

Quote Originally Posted by Blerv View Post
    http://www.gsi-japan.com/shop/html/p...product_id=133

Not really such a thing as "better" but this is certainly a harder and higher carbon one.
    That thing looks amazing!
    -Brian
    A distinguished lurker.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Jazz's Avatar
    I would disagree that Leatherman has improved. My old Wave is way better than the new. I detest those bits in them now. All the flatheads in the old are very usefull. Sorry for changing the subject. Victorinox SAK's are still the same for good reason.
    - best wishes, Jazz.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Evil D's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazz View Post
    I would disagree that Leatherman has improved. My old Wave is way better than the new. I detest those bits in them now. All the flatheads in the old are very usefull. Sorry for changing the subject. Victorinox SAK's are still the same for good reason.
    No I completely agree. When I heard there was a Wave with S30V I was super excited until I saw those damn bit drivers. Better hope you never have to reach a screw that's recessed into something. That was a major factor in pushing me to buy a Victorinox Spirit instead of another Leatherman, and that's after nearly 20 years of carrying Leatherman.

SHARPEN IT LIKE YOU LOVE IT, USE IT LIKE YOU HATE IT
    ~David

Official plea to Sal: Can we PLEASE get a DLC Yojimbo 2? PLEASE!!?

Spyderco Forum Registered User xceptnl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Donut View Post
    That thing looks amazing!
    I agree. Might need to pick up one of those. Thanks Blerv... as if my list wasn't long enough already.
    My 's:
    Native, Manix 2 (BD1,154CM,S30V,M4,XHP,S110V,Cruwear), Delica 4 (White,Red,Brown,Blue,BRG,G-10), Spyderhawk, D'fly (H1,G-10,SB), Police3, Volpe, Military (S30V,XHP,D2,M390,BG42,440V,Cruwear), Superleafs, Forager, D2 Para, Kopas, Kiwis, Caly (JR's,3,3.5), Para2 (XHP,204P), Stretch (SS,FRN's,CF), Rescues, Dyad Jr, Pingos, Southard, AIR, Jess Horns, Forum N5, Lil Matriarch, Barong, Superhawk, Chinook II, ATR, SPY-DK, Captain, Ti UKPK, Mules

*Landon*

Spyderco Forum Registered User Blerv's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by xceptnl View Post
    I agree. Might need to pick up one of those. Thanks Blerv... as if my list wasn't long enough already.
    I keep looking at it. As you said, the list at this point is almost stressful.
    Blake

Listing of Blade-Length Laws by State/County (Not My Website)
    http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/USKnife.pdf

Spyderco Forum Registered User xceptnl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Blerv View Post
    I keep looking at it. As you said, the list at this point is almost stressful.
    The images flashing through my mind were of me as a kid, using one of these and destroying the edge by cutting something I shouldn't have been. Worse than that.... imagine a boy scout with an inexpensive pocket stone trying for hours and hours to get a sharp edge back on that thing.
    My 's:
    Native, Manix 2 (BD1,154CM,S30V,M4,XHP,S110V,Cruwear), Delica 4 (White,Red,Brown,Blue,BRG,G-10), Spyderhawk, D'fly (H1,G-10,SB), Police3, Volpe, Military (S30V,XHP,D2,M390,BG42,440V,Cruwear), Superleafs, Forager, D2 Para, Kopas, Kiwis, Caly (JR's,3,3.5), Para2 (XHP,204P), Stretch (SS,FRN's,CF), Rescues, Dyad Jr, Pingos, Southard, AIR, Jess Horns, Forum N5, Lil Matriarch, Barong, Superhawk, Chinook II, ATR, SPY-DK, Captain, Ti UKPK, Mules

*Landon*

Honestly, I would rather have something other than "plastic" or wood. Unless someone can tell me that the plastic is much tougher than the name suggests.
    -Brian
    A distinguished lurker.