Thread: Pizza Pizaz

Spyderco Forum Registered User MadRookie's Avatar

Pizza Pizaz

On Friday night...

Spyderco Forum Registered User 3rdGenRigger's Avatar
    That's a good looking pizza! And an AWESOME looking kitchen knife...absolutely beautiful. We use a mezzaluna style pizza cutter when we make pizza...at least a couple of nights a month. I don't take many pictures (We get to eating it most often before I get a chance) but this is one of the few pizza pictures I've taken. It turned out thicker than we expected, almost like a deep dish, but the more recent ones we've done have been thinner and better proportioned (And more presentable looking).

Ladybug (Salt/SuperBlue/White SE), Native (FRN), Dragonfly (Salt/Orange/SuperBlue/G10), Lava (Blue), Ulize, Byrdwrench
    Para-Military 2 (Digi-Cam/Green), Jester (Grey), Caly3/3.5 (CF), Domino (Blue), Stretch (SuperBlue), Spyderwrench
    Schempp Tuff, Goddard OD, Mule (K390), Manix2 (CruWear), Sage 3 (CF), Vallotton, Techno, Spin (Blue Nishijin)
    2013 Forum Native, Delica 4 (Damascus), Chokwe, Swick 3, Battlestation, Military (CruWear), Ti Salsa

-> Branden

Now that is one tasty looking pizza "loaf"....

Spyderco Forum Registered User 3rdGenRigger's Avatar
    The crust rose quite a lot more than we expected, but it was thinner in the middle bit where the toppings are...literally like 1/3 as thick as the outer crust because we had so many toppings on it. It was definitely a knife and fork pizza, but absolutely delicious. We do them thinner now and make the crust the day before so it can sit in the fridge overnight...makes it a lot easier to spread out, and it cooks better on a pizza rock than on an oven tray like that one. One of my friends is a really good cook...he'll have his red seal within a couple of months and he informed me that the best way to cook a pizza in the oven is to heat a cast iron pan on the stove as hot as you can possibly get it while heating the oven, and then you put the pan in the oven upside down and put the pizza on that as quickly as possible to keep as much heat in the oven and the pan as possible. It crisps the crust from beneath and turns out really well, though we have yet to try that yet (Need to acquire a nice cast iron pan) but I helped him do one that way at his house a few months ago. It did turn out better than the ones we make, but the pizza stone is definitely an improvement over an oven pan. We've also experimented with different topping combinations in different orders to mitigate too much moisture in the crust but I don't have a recent picture...I'll make sure I snap a couple next time we make one.
    Ladybug (Salt/SuperBlue/White SE), Native (FRN), Dragonfly (Salt/Orange/SuperBlue/G10), Lava (Blue), Ulize, Byrdwrench
    Para-Military 2 (Digi-Cam/Green), Jester (Grey), Caly3/3.5 (CF), Domino (Blue), Stretch (SuperBlue), Spyderwrench
    Schempp Tuff, Goddard OD, Mule (K390), Manix2 (CruWear), Sage 3 (CF), Vallotton, Techno, Spin (Blue Nishijin)
    2013 Forum Native, Delica 4 (Damascus), Chokwe, Swick 3, Battlestation, Military (CruWear), Ti Salsa

-> Branden

Spyderco Forum Registered User Blue Possum's Avatar
    Those both look really good, I was thinking hot-dog and hamburger for the memorial day weekend, but these are changing my mind a little.

Good job to the both of you.

MadRookie - What kind of sauce did you put on yours? Appears to a honey-mustard looking.
    Blue Possum

It is a bacon cheese spread.

Look here: http://www.melrose.co.za/why-mums-lo...=1&ProductID=4

Spyderco Forum Registered User SpyderNut's Avatar
    Agreed--those both look fantastic. 'Rigger, that is one uber-thick crust! Kind of reminds me of a Chicago style pizza.
    Michael

Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Spyderco Forum Registered User Donut's Avatar
    Rookie, that looks pretty nice. What kind of cheese did you use? LOL at loaf.
    -Brian
    A distinguished lurker.
    Chat with us. Sharpthings - A Blog Site

Spyderco Forum Registered User Holland's Avatar
    looks tasty!
    Phil Wilson Smoke Creek s110v, SouthFork, Gayle Bradley, Chaparral 1, Chaparral 2, Native 5, Para2, Para1 SE, Caly 3, Dragonfly 2, Dragonfly 2, Delica 4, Ladybug 3

-Spencer