Thread: Traveling to Bulgaria

Spyderco Forum Registered User ASmitty's Avatar

Traveling to Bulgaria

Hello All,

This Sunday, I am leaving for Sofia, Bulgaria. I work for a bank as a software developer working in Microsoft .NET technologies. About 1-1.5 years ago, my bank purchased a European prepaid card company whose IT department is located there. Their developers work primarily in PHP and I'm heading overseas to help cross-train their team to work in .NET so that they can share some of our project workload. I'll be there for two weeks and obviously won't be working 24/7. I'm looking for suggestions of things I can do and sights I can see if my off time. I'm hoping some of my fellow forumites can help me out, particularly some of my European Spydie-brothers.

Any suggestions?
    "A flute with no holes is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a danish."

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    Can't give you any sight seeing suggestions but have a friend who's family have a vacation home there.
    Looks beautiful , cheap for living (although that's coming from someone used to paying uk prices and is now paying us prices) the latter being much cheaper than the former .
    I tend not to set too much of an itinerary when travelling the best way of finding the hidden gems is to ask the locals not consult the tourist guides .
    Given as you'll be training some you'll have the best people to ask right there ATB enjoy .

I wouldn´t miss out Alexander Newski cathedral-an impressive sight and if lucky some orthodox choir will sing giving the special light also a special acoustic.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Officer Gigglez's Avatar
    Originally out of Arizona, currently live in Missouri.
    Bulgaria eh? I know little about Bulgaria other than they make good copies of surplus firearms, like Makarovs and so on.
    Last edited by Officer Gigglez; 03-22-2014 at 04:32 PM.
    Spyderco Knives (in order of obtainment):
    -Tenacious G-10, Combo edge
    -Tasman Salt, PE
    -Persistence Limited Edition Blue G-10, PE
    -Pacific Salt, Black, PE
    -Delica 4, Grey FRN, Emerson Wave, PE
    -Karahawk collector's club #015, Custom Scales, Emerson Wave, PE
    -DiAlex Junior, G10, PE
    -Byrd SS Crossbill, PE, Custom Engraved

Quote Originally Posted by Commendatore View Post
    I wouldn´t miss out Alexander Newski cathedral-an impressive sight and if lucky some orthodox choir will sing giving the special light also a special acoustic.
    Thanks, I'll try to get it in. The guys in the office here have quite a few plans for us this coming weekend. Landed in Bulgaria today at 12:40pm local time. Flew threw the Vienna airport on the way.

Spyderco Forum Registered User araneae's Avatar
    My buddy is from there. He would say eat at a small pub. And he would say have some Fanta- seriously the stuff is really good there as they use actual juice. He goes home every couple years and gains 5 pounds in fanta weight. I don't know anything specific but I could ask him if you need something else to see.
    So many knives, so few pockets...
    -Nick
    Light Modding and Wharnifying when time permits

Just got: Superblue D'fly

The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal

Spyderco Forum Registered User defenestrate's Avatar
    Stunning countryside and Sofia is one of the more architecturally interesting areas in that part of Europe IIRC.
    I don't get mad. I get..Stabby.
    -Fat Tony

Quote Originally Posted by defenestrate View Post
    Stunning countryside and Sofia is one of the more architecturally interesting areas in that part of Europe IIRC.
    Today we walked around Sofia including a stop at the Alexander Nevsky cathedral and a few other things nearby. After lunch we went to the National Museum of Military History. Their military history is quite fascinating.

Quote Originally Posted by ASmitty View Post
    Today we walked around Sofia including a stop at the Alexander Nevsky cathedral and a few other things nearby. After lunch we went to the National Museum of Military History. Their military history is quite fascinating.

Are you taking pics to share sometime...being from the states I would love to see!
    Next Spyderco: Worker Sprint, Lightweight Manix 2 S110V

Quote Originally Posted by swigert View Post
    Are you taking pics to share sometime...being from the states I would love to see!
    I will post pics when I get home. I'm not much of a photographer, so I didn't bring a camera, but I took many photos with my iPhone 5s.