Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Thread: Green Para2's are back

Spyderco Forum Registered User senorsquare's Avatar
    My experience with G10 textures is that it varies from knife to knife. My blue para 2 has significantly different textures on each side of the same knife, one side is very coarse and the other side is super fine. This photo is two sides of the same knife -

Last edited by senorsquare; 04-04-2014 at 08:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JNewell View Post
    I got the two side by side in bright sunlight. I would say the texture is the same, but the color is slightly different. You'd only notice side by side in good light, but the 2014 knife is a little more green and the 2013 version is slightly grayer.
    Seems to me that the 2014 run is a bit of a darker green as well.

Spyderco Forum Registered User JNewell's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by senorsquare View Post
    Seems to me that the 2014 run is a bit of a darker green as well.
    It's hard to get it right with words and my color vision in the green range is a little off, but I'd say the 2014 is brighter/greener and the 2013 is darker/grayer.

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    I didn't pull out the forum native to see if the colors were identical, but I imagine they are. However, in my picture (with the brussel sprouts) the light was a little low and everything appears a shade darker than it does in real life.

The scales are not nearly as rounded on the new one:

Spyderco Forum Registered User xceptnl's Avatar
    I was just curious. I didn't have time yesterday to do a macro comparison side-by-side, but my memory told me the texture was different. As for the color, I could care less if the shades varied infinitely from one Green Para to the next. I did also note the rounded corners as Henry did. I attribute this to the two different employees with different techniques so each one can be a bit different. I appreciate these subtle differences, they remind us that these knives are made by hand (mostly) and are not mindlessly thrown in a holding bin until ready to be packaged. Each is constructed with it's own mirco-character.
    My 's:
    Native, Manix 2 (BD1,154CM,S30V,M4,XHP,S110V,Cruwear), Delica 4 (White,Red,Brown,Blue,BRG,G-10), Spyderhawk, D'fly (H1,G-10,SB), Police3, Volpe, Military (S30V,XHP,D2,M390,BG42,440V,Cruwear), Superleafs, Forager, D2 Para, Kopas, Kiwis, Caly (JR's,3,3.5), Para2 (XHP,204P), Stretch (SS,FRN's,CF), Rescues, Dyad Jr, Pingos, Southard, AIR, Jess Horns, Forum N5, Lil Matriarch, Barong, Superhawk, Chinook II, ATR, SPY-DK, Captain, Ti UKPK, Mules

*Landon*

Spyderco Forum Registered User bh49's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RadioactiveSpyder View Post
    Should I get mine all out for a dark green photo shoot? Plus, you missed the coolest one - the Forest Green Dragonfly!

Group photo will be great.
    I am not a dragonfly fan. I like Kopa's blade much more. But I would buy dark green G10 dragonfly.
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"
    George Orwell
    Any knife without Spyderhole is defective.
    My top choices Native5, G10/VG10 Caly 3.5/3 & C83 Persian Black micarta/bolsters

Does anyone have this around their lanyard tube? I find that the G10 around the metal tube is kind of pressed up and uneven. The other side is actually slightly worse. My Satin Pm2 seems to be perfect, with the metal showing around the rim perfectly and consistently around the entire edge, and on both sides.

I noticed the same difference shown in Henry's picture (difference in the radius at the edge of the scales).

Lol at flippers on Ebay. Nobody's buying them and they just keep getting cheaper. Hooray, I think the PM2 hype is over.

Quote Originally Posted by jalcon View Post
    Does anyone have this around their lanyard tube? I find that the G10 around the metal tube is kind of pressed up and uneven. The other side is actually slightly worse. My Satin Pm2 seems to be perfect, with the metal showing around the rim perfectly and consistently around the entire edge, and on both sides.

Yeah, so what is the deal with the lanyard ring tube? Mine is like your pic! Is it flawed or something that got passed QC check???

Spyderco Forum Registered User Liquid Cobra's Avatar

Untitled by liquid cobra, on Flickr

Mine has it too!
    Top 3 's: Lum Tanto Folder, Yojimbo 2, Para-Military 2
    Coming Soon Wish List: Yojimbo 2 CF S90V PREORDERED!!! X 2, Kiwi 4, K2, Roadie, Dog Tag Folder, Lum Tanto Fixed
    On The Fence: Rubicon, Roc, PITS, Native 5 (G10), Caly 3.5 CF
    Most recently acquired: Manix 2 Cruwear, Kahr Delica, G10 UKPK's, Black Southard,Para-Military 2 Elmax, Para-Military 2 CTS 2
    Grail: A.T.R.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Spydersense's Avatar
    I just noticed that my credit card was charged today from Knife Works. Maybe the second batch has arrived and will ship tomorrow?? I sure hope so.
    Time for another !

-Matt

Quote Originally Posted by jalcon View Post
    Lol at flippers on Ebay. Nobody's buying them and they just keep getting cheaper. Hooray, I think the PM2 hype is over.
    I honestly hope you're right about the second part, but I wouldn't hold my breath. IMHO, ridiculous pricing is not a positive thing - it just makes knives that should be used into shelf or closet queens.

Interesting. I got one of the newer ones out of the most recent batch and the scales are nicely rounded like the lower knife in the photo. It's the most comfortable para 2 I've owned to date.

Quote Originally Posted by Henry - get both View Post
    The scales are not nearly as rounded on the new one:

senorsquare,

Which number is on the outside of the box of your para? Is it 1376 or is it 1402?

A picture of the g10 would be cool.

When I got my first PM2 (not the green one), I thought PM2's didn't feel very comfortable in hand. Later when I got my green one last year, it seemed much more comfortable. At first I thought it was because the scales weren't as rough but finally it dawned on me that the scales on the green one were radiused (beveled, chamfered, rounded over, whatever) and the scales of the other one weren't. Sometimes these nearly subliminal things can give you a negative impression without it being obvious what's causing it.
    MY SPYDIE LIST (on profile page)
    Want List: New Stretch prototype Coyote G-10 slab/ZDP test sprint!

senorsquare,

Which number is on the outside of the box of your para? Is it 1376 or is it 1402?

I'll check the code on the box and post a photo this evening.

senorsquare,

Code on the box is 1348.

Untitled by senorsquare, on Flickr

I think that means knifeworks sent you old stock.

Could always disassemble it and check the date on the blade.