Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Am I the only one that prefers the SB Delica over the Caly 3?

Spyderco Forum Registered User

Am I the only one that prefers the SB Delica over the Caly 3?

Or really, any knife out there?

Holy chit. This knife is amazing. I've been a Delica fan for a couple years now. It was the Spyderco that made me addicted and a lifelong loyalist and recommendationist (probably not a word) to anything and everything Spyderco. But this SB...THIS SB version is simply amazing. I don't know what it is. I opened the box, took it out of that little bubble wrap and was blown away by the handle color.

THAT HANDLE COLOR. I had this smirk on my face when I saw it. It is dare I say...breathtaking? To me at least. First cuts on some paper, I had a face of disgust (good disgust) as to how sharp it was. Opened up a package next and it sliced through that tape like butter. I cut up some mango, kiwi, strawberries, tomatoes and an avocado. Wow. The patina...THE PATINA. I love the look of the patina on the sandwiched SB.

I've read so many recommendations out there saying the Caly 3/3.5 is better. Better ergos, better craftsmanship, better everything. I don't get it. I don't know, maybe I'm a rebel. Maybe I'm weird. Maybe it's the handle color. Maybe it's the fact that this was made the same month of my birthday (not that I really care about my birthday). Who knows? All I know is I prefer this over the Caly 3/3.5 and in all actuality, everything. I have a Caly 3 in ZDP and in SB, but I prefer the Delica. I think the sandwiched SB is cool and unique. IMO, it destroys any worry about rust on the pivot (with proper cleaning and lubrication of course).

For poops and gigs, here is a crappy pic of my little buddy:

Anyway, does anyone want to be a rebel and weird with me?

Spyderco Forum Registered User Spydersense's Avatar
    Welcome to the forum!

As long as you're happy, what else matters?
    Time for another !

-Matt

Spyderco Forum Registered User Holland's Avatar
    Welcome to the forums! The SB delica is an amazing knife, but based solely on ergos, i prefer the Caly3 personally
    Phil Wilson Smoke Creek s110v, SouthFork, Gayle Bradley, Chaparral 1, Chaparral 2, Native 5, Para2, Para1 SE, Caly 3, Dragonfly 2, Dragonfly 2, Delica 4, Ladybug 3

-Spencer

I just got the sb delica. I LOVE the steel and I like the lamination way more than I thought. The delica itself?? It's ok...honestly I prefer my liner-less salts

It's on my short list!!
    Next Spyderco: Worker Sprint, Lightweight Manix 2 S110V

Spyderco Forum Registered User xceptnl's Avatar
    I respect your choice (even if it is wrong) . Glad to have you here. Superblue is a great steel and would make any knife seem better. I think that since you have such love for the Delica SB, I will gladly trade you mine for your SB Caly
    My 's:
    Native, Manix 2 (BD1,154CM,S30V,M4,XHP,S110V,Cruwear), Delica 4 (White,Red,Brown,Blue,BRG,G-10), Spyderhawk, D'fly (H1,G-10,SB), Police3, Volpe, Military (S30V,XHP,D2,M390,BG42,440V,Cruwear), Superleafs, Forager, D2 Para, Kopas, Kiwis, Caly (JR's,3,3.5), Para2 (XHP,204P), Stretch (SS,FRN's,CF), Rescues, Dyad Jr, Pingos, Southard, AIR, Jess Horns, Forum N5, Lil Matriarch, Barong, Superhawk, Chinook II, ATR, SPY-DK, Captain, Ti UKPK, Mules

*Landon*

Quote Originally Posted by xceptnl View Post
    I respect your choice (even if it is wrong) . Glad to have you here. Superblue is a great steel and would make any knife seem better. I think that since you have such love for the Delica SB, I will gladly trade you mine for your SB Caly
    Nicely done sir, nicely done

I prefer a knife with a choil, but Delicas are very good also. My CF Caly 3 is now at the top of my favorites list, but that could change at any moment.

Spyderco Forum Registered User All-R-Crazy's Avatar
    I love both caly 3 and the delica in SB but I carry my delica with my pm2 and my caly3 with my 3.5 but I LOVE THEM BOTH
    delica ffg,endura ffg,pm2 black/black,delica sb,caly3.5 g10,caly3 sb,S90V military

Quote Originally Posted by JAfromMN
    My favorite Spyderco is the one that I used the most Today

Spyderco Forum Registered User bearfacedkiller's Avatar
    While the caly may have the better ergos and be a higher end knife the 2.5mm stock of the delica plus the screw construction make the delica a worthy competitor. There is no right or wrong answer to this question.
    Last edited by bearfacedkiller; 03-25-2014 at 10:44 PM.
    -Darby

Spyderco Forum Registered User Holland's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bearfacedkiller View Post
    While the caly may have the better ergos and be a higher end knife the 2.5mm stock of the delica plus the screw construction make the delica a worthy competitor. There is no right or wrong answer to this question.
    Excellent points sir
    Phil Wilson Smoke Creek s110v, SouthFork, Gayle Bradley, Chaparral 1, Chaparral 2, Native 5, Para2, Para1 SE, Caly 3, Dragonfly 2, Dragonfly 2, Delica 4, Ladybug 3

-Spencer

Spyderco Forum Registered User bearfacedkiller's Avatar
    Let us not forget the four way clip on the delica which is a plus for a tip down guy like me.
    -Darby

Spyderco Forum Registered User Brock O Lee's Avatar
    IMO the Caly is a more refined design, and I prefer the choil and deep carry wire clip, but I find the Delica cuts slightly better because of its thinner blade stock.

I usually carry the Caly to the office, and the Delica at home. I like them both, but in different ways.
    Hans

Tuff, Military (S90V, M4, S30V SE), Paramilitary 2 (20CP, M390, 204P), Gayle Bradley, Manix (LW S110V, M4), Forum Native 5, Caly 3 (ZDP, SB), Delica SB, Sage 2, Salt 1 SE, Dragonfly H1 SE
    South Fork, Mule Team (Elmax, S110V), Aqua Salt SE

Spyderco Forum Registered User Buendia518's Avatar
    I don't have any tools to compare thickness behind the edge but I think my SB Caly 3.5 is thinner there than my SB Delica despite the difference in stock thickness. (I'm not really sure what difference that makes but I often read it here)

But really btron, I just don't want to hear what you have to say because today I'm shipping off my Delica in a trade and you're making me regret it.

Spyderco Forum Registered User this_is_nascar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Spydersense View Post
    Welcome to the forum!

As long as you're happy, what else matters?

+1. Personally, I never liked the shape of the Delica blade or any of the Spyderco blades that have flat-straight top portion of the blade.
    "The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun". --- Wayne LaPierre 12/21/2012

I like them all but I agree with you! I prefer the Delica.

Quote Originally Posted by ABX2011 View Post
    I like them all but I agree with you! I prefer the Delica.
    The team is assembled!

But really, I like the Caly 3. I edc'd the cf/zdp for months and loved it. This SB just made me revisit the Delica and I'm glad it did. After holding and comparing the SB Caly 3 and the SB Delica numerous times, I couldn't help but think the Delica fits better in my hand. Not sure why. Maybe I prefer FRN? The G10 seems to dig in my fragile little hands more. Orrrrrrr maybe I'm just not a choil guy? Or both? :P Eh whatever, I just need to stick with my gut instead of pissing off my wife sitting in the corner after work and playing with both and getting all flustered and debating with myself cause I can't decide

THAT HANDLE COLOR...

Wish I'd picked one up. Just ordered a SB Stretch last night to make amends.

Spyderco Forum Registered User gbelleh's Avatar
    There are still SB Delicas available (check National Knives). I have one arriving today.

The Delica is one of my favorites too. But so is the Caly 3/3.5.
    My New Gear Review YouTube Channel

Latest Spydies: Lum Tanto FB Sprint, Green CTS-204P Para 2, K390 Mule, 2013 Forum Native 5, Domino, Blue G-10 Lava, Cruwear Military, Swick 3, Jot Singh Khalsa sprint, Hungarian Folder, CF S90V Manix 2 XL, Fluted Ti Military, Fluted Ti Native 5, Nilakka, Brown XHP Native, Equilibrium, Street Bowie, Lil Matriarch, Cat

Spyderco Forum Registered User Blerv's Avatar
    I sold my Caly3 and kept the Delica. Also plan to get some others in FRN.

So, I agree .
    Blake

Listing of Blade-Length Laws by State/County (Not My Website)
    http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/USKnife.pdf