Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I think I'm done buying sharpening stuff.

Hybrid View

Spyderco Forum Registered User jackknifeh's Avatar

I think I'm done buying sharpening stuff.

I'm posting this mainly as what I would recommend for sharpening stones based on what I've tried. Othes may like different options but now I will use any extra money for knives instead of stones or strop stuff.

I've reached the point that I will no longer be buying sharpening tools (stones, strops, systems, etc.) I have 3 type stones and will probably only use two. I have DMT fine and extra-fine, Spyderco fine and UF, and Shapton glass 320, 1k, 4k, 8k bench stones. And I have the EP with a set of Shapton glass stones. For the moment I will only be using the Spyderco and Shapton glass bench stones. I love the DMT stones but don't need them. I haven't used the EP in 6 months or so but love it also so I'll keep it. In the past I have sold stuff after I don't use them for a while.

So, after trying a few different stone types I have settled with the Shapton glass for a high end water stone set. Of the other stones I've tried I love the Spyderco stones more than others. The only reason to get another stone in addition to the 3 Spyderco grits is if you want or need a coarser stone. I have that covered with the Shaptons but if I didn't have them I'd add to the Spyderco's with a coarse or extra-coarse DMT I
    think. One thing that is a major advantage of the Spyderco stones is you can use them dry. No mess. Just open the box, sharpen or touch up and back in the box they go. Give them a bath once after every two uses or one extended use. In addition to that they perform great. If they didn't perform so well I wouldn't use them no matter how easy they are to use. By adding a coarser DMT you still have the dry, no mess and have a good stone for the heavier jobs.

There are tons of stones I haven't tried but unless you just want to try a bunch of different ones I think the main thing is to find good quality stones and just use them. Unless you want to spend LOTS of time sharpening having different stones around the house is money just sitting there. Unless you use them of course. But even the guys who have many, many stones seem to settle into a small set they use most.

This info may be of use to someone who is considering sharpening stones. Or not.

Jack

My EDC for a while. Stretch with carbon fiber handle, Chaparral 2, Dragonfly 2 with kirinite MOP handle, Manbug with bolster/red bone handle. Super blue/420J1 blades on all three.

Spyderco Forum Registered User SkullBouncer's Avatar
    Very useful, thanks, Jack.

Spyderco Forum Registered User bh49's Avatar
    Jack,
    Thank you for sharing your experience. Is 320 Shapton glass the coarsest stones, which you use?
    Roman
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"
    George Orwell
    Any knife without Spyderhole is defective.
    My top choices Native5, G10/VG10 Caly 3.5/3 & C83 Persian Black micarta/bolsters

Quote Originally Posted by bh49 View Post
    Jack,
    Thank you for sharing your experience. Is 320 Shapton glass the coarsest stones, which you use?
    Roman
    I have a 2x6" DMT stone that I seldom use. It is rated at 220. But the Shapton glass 320 is the coarsest stone I would use if a lot of steel removal is needed. It cuts very fast and leaves a more consistant scratch pattern than the DMT does. I like the DMT stones a lot but I prefer the Shaptons.

Jack

My EDC for a while. Stretch with carbon fiber handle, Chaparral 2, Dragonfly 2 with kirinite MOP handle, Manbug with bolster/red bone handle. Super blue/420J1 blades on all three.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Evil D's Avatar
    I plan to buy the rest of the Atoma plates I don't have and that'll be it unless I manage to wear them out.

SHARPEN IT LIKE YOU LOVE IT, USE IT LIKE YOU HATE IT
    ~David

Official plea to Sal: Can we PLEASE get a DLC Yojimbo 2? PLEASE!!?

Spyderco Forum Registered User senorsquare's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil D View Post
    I plan to buy the rest of the Atoma plates I don't have and that'll be it unless I manage to wear them out.
    Same here. I've got a set of 4 atomas for the edge pro, 140, 400, 600 and 1200 and they work too well for me to want to get anything else. If I want a more refined edge I can finish up with my MoldMasters or the stock EP stones.

Spyderco Forum Registered User opusxpn's Avatar
    Dang it I lied I got a nice strop 4stroke by stropman and some more compound now that is it for strops.
    Keep 'em sharpEndura4 (blk all edges, brwn, FG, SB, RG ZDP, blk tac, wave) Salt1 (blk, yllw PE H1)Tasman(yllw SE H1) Pacific salt(blk SE H1) Stretch(ZDP, SB) Delica4(blk CE, wave, SB) Drgfly2(yllw SE H1, org PE,SB PE) Pingo(blk) Cat G10(blk) Centofante3 Ldybg3(FG,SB,Hwk yllw H1, tan H1, blk) Manbug (blk SE, SB) Manix2(Ltw trans blue PE, G10 PE, Ltw dark blue frn) Para2(dig/satin, blk/satin) Military(Cru-Wear) Resilience, Tenacious(blk CE,grn PE), K04 Blk PE, K04 Blue SE, Byrd Robin2 G10

Quote Originally Posted by opusxpn View Post
    Dang it I lied I got a nice strop 4stroke by stropman and some more compound now that is it for strops.
    Do you mean one of those 4 sided strop bats? If so they are nice. It should keep you happy. Till the next strop or stone. Just kidding.

Jack

Spyderco Forum Registered User kbuzbee's Avatar
    I have that set for WEPS. Great plates! I really like them.

One day I'll need to give those Shaptons a go, Jack. Great post.

Ken
    玉鋼

Spyderco Forum Registered User opusxpn's Avatar
    I am done buying sharpening stuff also, Got sharpmaker with all stones, diamond, medium, fine and ultrafine. Got 2 diamond oval rods in 300 and 600, the smiths tri-hone for scandi grinds, one rite edge strop and just recently got some Flexx field strops(great product American made). I think I got my sharpening covered, but I am still wanting the spyderco large bench stones that I will probably get to replace the smiths tri-hone.
    Keep 'em sharpEndura4 (blk all edges, brwn, FG, SB, RG ZDP, blk tac, wave) Salt1 (blk, yllw PE H1)Tasman(yllw SE H1) Pacific salt(blk SE H1) Stretch(ZDP, SB) Delica4(blk CE, wave, SB) Drgfly2(yllw SE H1, org PE,SB PE) Pingo(blk) Cat G10(blk) Centofante3 Ldybg3(FG,SB,Hwk yllw H1, tan H1, blk) Manbug (blk SE, SB) Manix2(Ltw trans blue PE, G10 PE, Ltw dark blue frn) Para2(dig/satin, blk/satin) Military(Cru-Wear) Resilience, Tenacious(blk CE,grn PE), K04 Blk PE, K04 Blue SE, Byrd Robin2 G10

The Shaptons are great, I just think they are better suited for someone that ALWAYS polishes a bevel and who wants a true grit progression. I have the 220/320/1k/16k glass stones, and I may pick up some of the others between 1k and 16k for when I do wanna play with polishing bevels, but for anything under 2k I really feel the Atomas are where it's at especially if you're reprofiling because they're all the same thickness so you never have to be concerned about how that effects your angle. You never have to lap them either, and lower grit stones are usually the ones that need the most lapping, and because of that they last longer. All that adds up to being worth the price in my book.

~David

The Shaptons are great, I just think they are better suited for someone that ALWAYS polishes a bevel and who wants a true grit progression. I have the 220/320/1k/16k glass stones, and I may pick up some of the others between 1k and 16k for when I do wanna play with polishing bevels, but for anything under 2k I really feel the Atomas are where it's at especially if you're reprofiling because they're all the same thickness so you never have to be concerned about how that effects your angle. You never have to lap them either, and lower grit stones are usually the ones that need the most lapping, and because of that they last longer. All that adds up to being worth the price in my book.
    The one here that would know way better than me is Madrookie but I think you might be able to get away with only the 4k (or maybe 6k) Shapton glass stone between 1k and 16k. I'm thinking that stones that really cut well and have a very fine scratch pattern even while they are cutting fast you may be able to skip a grit or two between stones. I may be wrong about this though. I may try jumping from the 320 to the 4k to see how it works. Or the 1k to the 8k. Just out of curiousity. No arguing the closer the grit progression the better I guess but some don't want to spend every dollar possible. I get along fine with the 320, (skip 500) 1k, (skip 2k) 4k, (skip 6k) then 8k. These are bench stones. I have the 500, 1k, 2k, 4k, 6k, 8k and 16k in EP size and you don't need every one of the grits. Especially the 6k. That seems to be an oddball grit given the progression from 4k to 8k is about perfect. I've never tried the Atomas but have really wanted too. Everyone says they are a lot more consistant in scratch pattern then DMT stones and that is important if wanting to shoot for a high polish with the high grit stones. You don't want any stray random scratches from poor coarser grit stones. The Atoma's don't do that is my understanding. I would tend to agree with you about using them for the coarser grits and a water stone for polishing. Using the 8k or especially the 16k Shapton glass you can get a mirror finish (naked eye) but you can also get that with a strop with a good aggressive abrasive like CBN (CKTG). Or the diamond sprays but CBN seems to cut (polish) faster than the diamond sprays. It better, it costs twice as much. And with a leather strop they are nice for polishing the bevel because they "wrap" around slight convex bevels. After that remove any burr and you have a pretty edge. Might even be sharp.

BTW Evil, I post that I am done buying sharpening stuff and here you go talking about the Atoma's which I have been wanting for a long time. Gets me to wanting them again. Good thing this isn't a substance abuse forum.

Jack

Spyderco Forum Registered User _centurio_'s Avatar
    That's nice I also have a lot of sharpening stuff: A lot of different benchstones, guided sharpeners, leather strocks, ceramic rods and so on. But after a lot of sharpening I came back to the Sharpmaker for final honing and diamond plates/Lansky for coarser grinding and reprofiling. Less is more

Oliver

Quote Originally Posted by _centurio_ View Post
    That's nice I also have a lot of sharpening stuff: A lot of different benchstones, guided sharpeners, leather strocks, ceramic rods and so on. But after a lot of sharpening I came back to the Sharpmaker for final honing and diamond plates/Lansky for coarser grinding and reprofiling. Less is more

Oliver
    Yup. Me too. After the Shapton glass 8k stone I still am happy with a touchup using the Spyderco UF. It just FEELS good when using it. It almost doesn't feel like anything is happening to the edge but after several strokes it's obvious something has happened. Sharp is back.

Jack

Spyderco Forum Registered User All-R-Crazy's Avatar
    I just got myself set up on a grinder with paper wheels and hopefully that's all I'll ever need again, with sharp maker as a touch up
    delica ffg,endura ffg,pm2 black/black,delica sb,caly3.5 g10,caly3 sb,S90V military

Quote Originally Posted by JAfromMN
    My favorite Spyderco is the one that I used the most Today

Spyderco Forum Registered User 78lilred's Avatar
    Good to hear you've finally got a setup that you're happy with. I feel ok with mold masters/dmt plates/ shapton 500/1k and some balsa strops.... could always use more shaptons though... and some jnats of course.
    M390 Para2, CTS-XHP Para2, CTS-204P Para2, Gayle Bradley, Techno, Bob T Slipit, M390 Mule, Southard, Southfork, Air, Tuff, ZDP Caly 3.5.

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    I think that I am done with buying anymore sharpeners too.

I have stuck with DMT and Spyderco stones for the most part.

I don't even bother with going past the DMT 600-grit red stone or the Spyderco brown stone most of the time now.
    My favorite Spyderco knives include: Caly 3.5, Chaparral, Delica 4 FFG, Stretch, Para-Military 2, Endura 4 FFG, Manix 2 & Manix 2 XL!

TANSTAAFL

Quote Originally Posted by GCG199 View Post
    I think that I am done with buying anymore sharpeners too.

I have stuck with DMT and Spyderco stones for the most part.

I don't even bother with going past the DMT 600-grit red stone or the Spyderco brown stone most of the time now.
    I can't believe it. Someone who uses good stones and only goes as high in the grit progression to get a great edge and JUST STOPS THERE? Sounds like a smart guy who has a normal life to me.

Jack

I just redid the bevel on my Southard...220 grit and then raised the angle a couple degrees and used the 3k EP tape...oh my goodness. This might be the end for my EDC edges. I don't know what it is about these tapes but I swear I get sharper edges off those than anything else I use, including my 16k glass stone. I figured maybe it has something to do with dishing or something but I've lapped and even beveled the edges on that stone, and it just never leaves an edge as sharp as the tapes do. It's a great stone for polishing, but those tapes, I don't know what it is maybe something to do with my technique, but for now I think I've found my perfect edge with the low grit bevel and lightly apexed EP tape finish.

~David