Thread: Buying a Spyderco Knife from "Craig's List" Good or bad idea?

Spyderco Forum Registered User SpyderEdgeForever's Avatar

Buying a Spyderco Knife from "Craig's List" Good or bad idea?

I would like your view on this everyone. I know some people buy and sell things and have had success on craig's list, but I am skeptical. How would you make sure the seller doesn't just take your money and 'run'? Or how would you make sure they are not selling you a stolen knife?

As an example:

https://lasvegas.craigslist.org/spo/4375751352.html

The person says:

" Spyderco Paramilitary 2
    craigslist - Map data OpenStreetMap

(google map) (yahoo map)
    I have a LNIB Spyderco paramilitary 2 for sale. This is the digicam version with the black blade and black hardware. I only used it a couple times and then put it back in its box in my closet. The edge is still razor sharp and has not been sharpened at all.

$90. Firm.

do NOT contact me with unsolicited services or offers"

What do you all think? I tend to like the idea of purchasing from a real store, whether online or face to face or catalog, but, anyone have experience with this?

At least ebay offers some 'scam checker' methods right?

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    I buy and sell on CL. I see no red flags with his post, actually quite the opposite. He hits the no BS highlights. If you want the knife at that price do it.

I was checking Craig's List about a week ago and found these two new knives that I believe are fakes. The first is for a Spyderco "Paratrooper". As far as I know, there is no Paratrooper model. Maybe I'm wrong. The second is from the same seller, so I assume it is a fake also. Again, maybe I'm wrong, but I'm not willing to risk it. Make sure you know it's real before you purchase.

http://abbotsford.en.craigslist.ca/spo/4316073508.html

http://abbotsford.en.craigslist.ca/spo/4316073082.html

Spyderco Forum Registered User Sparki's Avatar
    I bought my first para 2 on CL. I simply made sure to know how to spot fakes, saw it in person and looked for those things.

Spyderco Forum Registered User FCM415's Avatar
    I sold two knives on CL, a 710 and a D2 Grip. Both times I had them meet me at the DMV. Both were problem free but you never know do you?

Only other face to face private sale experience I have is for a micarta Sebenza off of the Bladeforums exchange. Drove to his house to pick it up. The guy turned out to be real cool... I didn't make a habit of dealing in person like this though, too many weird things can happen like you said. Like everything in life there's a risk that's all heh and with the Seb, I would have been down $350... Not my brightest move. I couldn't resist the price
    Upcoming: N5 CF/S110v, N5 LWT, DragonFly SB, Marcin Slysz Bowie, Farid Mehr K2, Peter Carey Rubicon, Gayle Bradley Fixed Blade, Phil Wilson Sprig, Mule Team 4V

(Some) Wishes: Native5 CHIEF, Sub 4 inch versions of the Mehr K2 and Carey Rubicon, More M4 and Use CPM-154!

Spyderco Forum Registered User Buendia518's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SpyderEdgeForever View Post
    I would like your view on this everyone. I know some people buy and sell things and have had success on craig's list, but I am skeptical. How would you make sure the seller doesn't just take your money and 'run'? Or how would you make sure they are not selling you a stolen knife?
    Hey Spyderedge I've bought and sold a few things on craigslist (never any luck with knife sales though.) There shouldn't be any opportunity for them to run off with your money, just don't hand it over until you've looked at the knife. Many people try to arrange to meet in a public place, but most often at one person's home (if you have safety concerns meet in public). Also, I wouldn't worry about it being stolen but do make sure it isn't fake. (I don't know if black/digicam PM2s are faked)

Spyderco Forum Registered User bearfacedkiller's Avatar
    I have had good luck. I scored both a 52100 and a m4 mule recently for $140 for both. I was very happy with that. I met him in the Whole Foods parking lot. It was cool he was a firefighter and was real nice. Had a couple more I wanted but didn't have the funds.
    Last edited by bearfacedkiller; 03-24-2014 at 10:39 PM.
    -Darby

Spyderco Forum Registered User gbelleh's Avatar
    I've bought and sold on Craig's list a few times. Unless it's an item that can't be removed from a house (like large furniture), I always arrange to meet in a public place. No reason to invite a stranger to your home, or enter a stranger's home, if it's not necessary. Use common sense, take precautions, and abort if things don't seem right.
    My New Gear Review YouTube Channel

Latest Spydies: Lum Tanto FB Sprint, Green CTS-204P Para 2, K390 Mule, 2013 Forum Native 5, Domino, Blue G-10 Lava, Cruwear Military, Swick 3, Jot Singh Khalsa sprint, Hungarian Folder, CF S90V Manix 2 XL, Fluted Ti Military, Fluted Ti Native 5, Nilakka, Brown XHP Native, Equilibrium, Street Bowie, Lil Matriarch, Cat

Quote Originally Posted by bearfacedkiller View Post
    I have had good luck. I scored both a 52100 and a m4 mule recently for $140 for both. I was very happy with that. I met him in the Whole Foods parking lot. It was cool he was a firefighter and was real nice. Had a couple more I wanted but didn't have the funds.
    You lucky.....you know what! lol.
    On the hunt for...

Spyderco Forum Registered User bearfacedkiller's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DeathBySnooSnoo View Post
    You lucky.....you know what! lol.
    Living in Colorado helps I think. Good deals pop up on the Denver CL every once in a while. He was liquidating a lot of knives.
    -Darby

Spyderco Forum Registered User Revival's Avatar
    I would request multiple pictures. Ask for a picture of the box including the sticker. No box, no sale. Spydercos dont pop up too often in Las Vegas but they do every once in a while. Usually when they do, they are ridiculously over priced.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Evil D's Avatar
    I only deal on CL if it's local and I can see things in person. I've sold several on there with good results. Where I'm at they don't pop up very often and usually sell fast.

SHARPEN IT LIKE YOU LOVE IT, USE IT LIKE YOU HATE IT
    ~David

Official plea to Sal: Can we PLEASE get a DLC Yojimbo 2? PLEASE!!?

Spyderco Forum Registered User The Deacon's Avatar
    I've heard Craigslist success stories, and Craigslist horror stories from both buyers and sellers. Making the exchange in person, and meeting the seller/buyer in a public place is the safest way to handle a transaction. There's still the potential that anything you purchase that way could be stolen goods and, with commonly faked items like the PM2, no guarantee that what you're getting is the real McCoy beyond your confidence in your own ability to spot a fake.
    Paul
    My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Kiwimania ---- Spydiewiki
    Dead horses beaten, sacred cows tipped, chimeras hunted when time permits.
    WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!

Spyderco Forum Registered User this_is_nascar's Avatar
    I buy and sell on Craigslist quite a bit for various items, even up to and including $10k campers. The laws of common sense apply. If something doesn't feel right, than it's probably not. Never do a transaction at your house or their house, unless it's absolutely necessary. I can think of only a few times, you'd have to have someone come to your house or you to theirs. I usually pick a public parking lot, midway between both of us, assuming it's not further than what I'm willing to travel. I always show the item and the buyer forks over the money. If you can, take someone with you. There's always safety in numbers. I tell them up front, that at the point of sale is not the time to try and offer me a lower price. If you want to do that, do it before we agree on a meeting place, etc.
    "The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun". --- Wayne LaPierre 12/21/2012

Here's nothing magically dangerous about craigslist, it's just buying stuff from strangers. If I was going to rip people off on CL I would target someone other than knife guys .

I would meet at a gun shop. Chances of that going south are pretty low.
    All God's critters have knives.