Thread: Bought a spyderco Manix2 on ebay is it real or fake?affraid because the clip is short

Spyderco Forum Registered User

Bought a spyderco Manix2 on ebay is it real or fake?affraid because the clip is short

Someone take a look at the clip and let me know ASAP. Thanks!!!http://www.ebay.com/itm/Spyderco-Man...vip=true&rt=nc

Spyderco Forum Registered User Liquid Cobra's Avatar
    The clip doesn't look short to me. Seems legit.
    Top 3 's: Lum Tanto Folder, Yojimbo 2, Para-Military 2
    Coming Soon Wish List: Yojimbo 2 CF S90V PREORDERED!!! X 2, Kiwi 4, K2, Roadie, Dog Tag Folder, Lum Tanto Fixed
    On The Fence: Rubicon, Roc, PITS, Native 5 (G10), Caly 3.5 CF
    Most recently acquired: Kahr Delica, G10 UKPK's, Black Southard,Para-Military 2 Elmax, Para-Military 2 CTS 2
    Grail: A.T.R.

Spyderco Forum Registered User jmh58's Avatar
    Welcome!! Enjoy!! Lots of great people sharing super info here!! John
    A great rabbit chase ends with a.. BANG!!!

Never too old to relive your youth!!

Life is to short to carry a cheap knife!!!

Spyderco Forum Registered User Evil D's Avatar
    The clip is certainly shorter than factory. The point where the clip presses against the handle should be that round spyder in the middle...

That doesn't necessarily mean it's fake, it could just have a Dragonfly clip on it, which is shorter by design. I haven't seen any reports on fake lightweights, so I would assume the seller is lying about "BNIB" and swapped the clip. I suppose it's also possible it left the factory that way, however unlikely that may be. If you're really not sure, send it to Spyderco, I'm sure they will know for sure.

SHARPEN IT LIKE YOU LOVE IT, USE IT LIKE YOU HATE IT
    ~David

Official plea to Sal: Can we PLEASE get a DLC Yojimbo 2? PLEASE!!?

Spyderco Forum Registered User Liquid Cobra's Avatar
    Bah! Does my newb status know no bounds? My bad man. I guess it is short.
    Top 3 's: Lum Tanto Folder, Yojimbo 2, Para-Military 2
    Coming Soon Wish List: Yojimbo 2 CF S90V PREORDERED!!! X 2, Kiwi 4, K2, Roadie, Dog Tag Folder, Lum Tanto Fixed
    On The Fence: Rubicon, Roc, PITS, Native 5 (G10), Caly 3.5 CF
    Most recently acquired: Kahr Delica, G10 UKPK's, Black Southard,Para-Military 2 Elmax, Para-Military 2 CTS 2
    Grail: A.T.R.

Spyderco Forum Registered User IG-88's Avatar
    The injection molds are very expensive, so I can't recollect having seen fake injection molded knives such as Delica or Enduras with mold injected handles. G-10 can be miled into any shape FRN not

Maybe somebody swapped the clip, the seller is fairly new on Ebay and is not a knife reseller, so if the knife is 100% new is hard to say. Also could be an production slipup.

Too me the knife is a genuin Spyderco.
    Current EDC: Techno, Squeak, Southard Flipper, Caly 3.5

New Arrivals: Chap3, Domino, Sage 3

2014 Wishlist: Yo2 CF, Deviant Friction, Tatanka, Tusk, Firefly

Oldies Wishlist: Delica CF PE, Civilian CF PE

Spyderco Forum Registered User Evil D's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Liquid Cobra View Post
    Bah! Does my newb status know no bounds? My bad man. I guess it is short.
    Nah, just when questions like this pop up I do my homework. First thing I did was search for pics to see how they compare. All I would do if it were me is buy a new clip. The injection molding is a good point, not something I've seen replicated yet so I'd say either the seller swapped clips or Spyderco put the wrong one on.

SHARPEN IT LIKE YOU LOVE IT, USE IT LIKE YOU HATE IT
    ~David

Official plea to Sal: Can we PLEASE get a DLC Yojimbo 2? PLEASE!!?

Quote Originally Posted by Evil D View Post
    The clip is certainly shorter than factory. The point where the clip presses against the handle should be that round spyder in the middle...

That doesn't necessarily mean it's fake, it could just have a Dragonfly clip on it, which is shorter by design. I haven't seen any reports on fake lightweights, so I would assume the seller is lying about "BNIB" and swapped the clip. I suppose it's also possible it left the factory that way, however unlikely that may be. If you're really not sure, send it to Spyderco, I'm sure they will know for sure.
    I don't think it's a dragonfly clip. D fly are not straight under the screw, they are deep pocket style. I'm pretty sure they also don't have a bend in the middle of the long part of the clip either

Spyderco Forum Registered User The Deacon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by beatlman87 View Post
    I don't think it's a dragonfly clip. D fly are not straight under the screw, they are deep pocket style. I'm pretty sure they also don't have a bend in the middle of the long part of the clip either
    Could be the clip from a Poliwog, or something else (if there is/was anything else) that used the higher ride short wire clip.

Bottom line: Transparent blue FRCP would be the hardest handle material to successfully imitate, so I'd rate the chances of the knife being fake as slim to none. Clip is wrong, but almost certainly a genuine Spyderco clip.
    Paul
    My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Kiwimania ---- Spydiewiki
    Dead horses beaten, sacred cows tipped, chimeras hunted when time permits.
    WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!

Spyderco Forum Registered User gbelleh's Avatar
    Maybe a P'Kal clip?
    My New Gear Review YouTube Channel

Latest Spydies: Lum Tanto FB Sprint, Green CTS-204P Para 2, K390 Mule, 2013 Forum Native 5, Domino, Blue G-10 Lava, Cruwear Military, Swick 3, Jot Singh Khalsa sprint, Hungarian Folder, CF S90V Manix 2 XL, Fluted Ti Military, Fluted Ti Native 5, Nilakka, Brown XHP Native, Equilibrium, Street Bowie, Lil Matriarch, Cat

Spyderco Forum Registered User Screwdriver's Avatar
    No combo edge on that.......in the blue.
    PM2(Camo/Satin) Military (Safety Orange, Camo), Endura (Wave, ZDP-189, Super Blue), Gayle Bradley, Techno, Pacific Salt PE, Tasman Salt SE, Harpy, Manbug ZDP-189, Dragonfly Aus 8, Ladybug (Red with CE...1990ish), Cricket SE, Civilian.

Last edited by cckw; 03-24-2014 at 09:23 PM.

Spyderco Forum Registered User nccole's Avatar
    I believe it could be the Junior clip. It is a non-low-rider shorty. I don't know of another knife that uses that clip personally so that is my guess. You may need to get the correct clip from Spyderco (~$10 shipped). If the contact of the clip is on the grippy serrations and not on the smooth, it will wreak havoc on whatever you are clipping it to, and annoy the heck out of you. If I were you, I would get a clip for the Sage so you can have it ride deeper.

It could be a factory mistake that slipped by QA. At any rate, the knockoff people have better things to do than replicating translucent blue plastic scales.
    All God's critters have knives.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Kylems11's Avatar
    Knife looks legit to me but the clip is deff shorter then its supposed to be. And its deff not a dragonfly clip. Ive put a dragonfly clip on my manix 2 lw and it is stil way shorter then your clip. I would question the ebay seller and ask them if they changed it.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Blerv's Avatar
    It looks real to me and as mentioned, injection molds are crazy expensive for a company to invest in and then be shut down by the authorities.

Still...you only saved $5 over buying from Cutleryshoppe. In the future I would do a bit of looking around before you go clickin
    Blake

Listing of Blade-Length Laws by State/County (Not My Website)
    http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/USKnife.pdf