Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kitchen Utility Knife

Spyderco Forum Registered User JerryIsAlive's Avatar

Kitchen Utility Knife

I am in the market for a kitchen knife. The spyderco offering looks great and is a great price. Anyone care to give some feedback? Also, I saw Sal mention the kitchen knife will be tweaked soon. Is there a timeframe for this? Any idea what the modifications will be? I just don't want to grab one and have them announce new version shortly after.

Spyderco Forum Registered User xceptnl's Avatar
    I am very pleased with mine. Paid SFO pricing and would do so again. One of the most versatile kitchen knives I have ever owned. Extremely thin behind the edge for a production knife. I would recommend to anyone who asks. They also make great gifts at that price point.

My 's:
    Native, Manix 2 (BD1,154CM,S30V,M4,XHP,S110V,Cruwear), Delica 4 (White,Red,Brown,Blue,BRG,G-10), Spyderhawk, D'fly (H1,G-10,SB), Police3, Volpe, Military (S30V,XHP,D2,M390,BG42,440V,Cruwear), Superleafs, Forager, D2 Para, Kopas, Kiwis, Caly (JR's,3,3.5), Para2 (XHP,204P), Stretch (SS,FRN's,CF), Rescues, Dyad Jr, Pingos, Southard, AIR, Jess Horns, Forum N5, Lil Matriarch, Barong, Superhawk, Chinook II, ATR, SPY-DK, Captain, Ti UKPK, Mules

*Landon*

Does it come with a sheath or anything to hold it in while not in use? Also, why is the blue only offered with a SE?
    Last edited by JerryIsAlive; 03-24-2014 at 01:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JerryIsAlive View Post
    Does it come with a sheath or anything to hold it in while not in use? Also, why is the blue only offered with a SE?
    No sheath to speak of, I just placed it in the butchers block where a useless no-name utility used to reside. I am not sure about the blue, but I like the idea that the colors help differentiate when it is in the knife block.
    My 's:
    Native, Manix 2 (BD1,154CM,S30V,M4,XHP,S110V,Cruwear), Delica 4 (White,Red,Brown,Blue,BRG,G-10), Spyderhawk, D'fly (H1,G-10,SB), Police3, Volpe, Military (S30V,XHP,D2,M390,BG42,440V,Cruwear), Superleafs, Forager, D2 Para, Kopas, Kiwis, Caly (JR's,3,3.5), Para2 (XHP,204P), Stretch (SS,FRN's,CF), Rescues, Dyad Jr, Pingos, Southard, AIR, Jess Horns, Forum N5, Lil Matriarch, Barong, Superhawk, Chinook II, ATR, SPY-DK, Captain, Ti UKPK, Mules

*Landon*

Spyderco Forum Registered User The Deacon's Avatar
    I use the K05 more, but the K04 is also an excellent slicer due to it's thin blade. Easy to maintain as well, MBS-26 is easy to sharpen and takes a great edge Not sure why on the blue on the current SE ones but believe the original motivation was to make it easier for kitchen staff in restaurants to know they were grabbing a serrated knife. As with most kitchen knives, there's no sheath.
    Paul
    My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Kiwimania ---- Spydiewiki
    Dead horses beaten, sacred cows tipped, chimeras hunted when time permits.
    WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!

Does anybody know what the prospective changes to the knife will be or when the changes are expected?

Spyderco Forum Registered User Clip's Avatar
    Jerry, the handle has been changed to solid polypropylene from Sermollan. Other than that I think they're very similar. They are available now, Howes has them on overstock price for around $23.
    Click here to zoom: Under the Microscope

Manix2, Elmax MT13, M4 Manix2, ZDP Caly3, ZDP Caly Jr, SB Caly3.5, M390 Para2, Cruwear MT12, Techno, XHP MT16, South Fork, SB Caly3, Manix2 Ltwt, Salt I, 20CP Para2, Military Left Hand, Perrin PPT, Forum Native5, Squeak, Manix 83mm, 440V Military, Gayle Bradley, Swick3, Lil' Temperance, Cruwear Military, VG10 Jester, Terzuola SlipIt, XHP Native Ltwt, Domino, CPM154/S90V Para2, SB Stretch, D2 Para, Dfly2 Salt, Tasman Salt

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Clip View Post
    Jerry, the handle has been changed to solid polypropylene from Sermollan. Other than that I think they're very similar. They are available now, Howes has them on overstock price for around $23.
    I can't believe they are still available for that price. I hope this isn't a sign of a poor selling item. I want to see a new version of the full set.
    My 's:

*Landon*

Thanks for the reply. I was under the impression they brought back this knife with the plans to modify the design. Maybe the prices are so low because a new version is coming out. Can anybody confirm that a new version is coming out? If not, I'll just grab one of these

Spyderco Forum Registered User Blerv's Avatar
    That price is insanity. These knives are crazy good at multiple times the price.
    Blake

Listing of Blade-Length Laws by State/County (Not My Website)
    http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/USKnife.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Blerv View Post
    That price is insanity. These knives are crazy good at multiple times the price.
    Yes it is, I'm seriously considering getting another one and having someone trim it down into a 4" mini-santoku.
    Paul
    My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Kiwimania ---- Spydiewiki

Where are you seeing it for $23? Howes is listing $29

Does anybody know what the prospective changes to the knife will be or when the changes are expected?
    Here's a link to the thread where Sal discusses the changes.
    Paul

Spyderco Forum Registered User Clip's Avatar
    Where are you seeing it for $23? Howes is listing $29
    Apologies guys, I reread the email and they're back up to $29. Apparently it was a one-day sale. I picked mine up for $27 ea from CS early this month, free shipping code still works.
    Click here to zoom: Under the Microscope

Manix2, Elmax MT13, M4 Manix2, ZDP Caly3, ZDP Caly Jr, SB Caly3.5, M390 Para2, Cruwear MT12, Techno, XHP MT16, South Fork, SB Caly3, Manix2 Ltwt, Salt I, 20CP Para2, Military Left Hand, Perrin PPT, Forum Native5, Squeak, Manix 83mm, 440V Military, Gayle Bradley, Swick3, Lil' Temperance, Cruwear Military, VG10 Jester, Terzuola SlipIt, XHP Native Ltwt, Domino, CPM154/S90V Para2, SB Stretch, D2 Para, Dfly2 Salt, Tasman Salt

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by The Deacon View Post
    Here's a link to the thread where Sal discusses the changes.
    Thank you very much. Looks like I'll grab a K04 and wait to see what they do with K05 and BD1 steel

Spyderco Forum Registered User Blerv's Avatar
    Yes it is, I'm seriously considering getting another one and having someone trim it down into a 4" mini-santoku.
    That would be pretty cool .
    Blake

Listing of Blade-Length Laws by State/County (Not My Website)
    http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/USKnife.pdf

Spyderco Forum Registered User araneae's Avatar
    Interesting thought indeed.
    So many knives, so few pockets...
    -Nick
    Light Modding and Wharnifying when time permits

Just got: Superblue D'fly

The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    I picked mine up for $27 ea from CS early this month, free shipping code still works.
    Thanks - I just ordered one of each (plain and serrated) - these will be my first Spyderco kitchen knives
    Wanted: Superhawk - Found!

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    I just ordered two each plain and serrated. Thin to win it! These should make great gifts, too, lots of value for the price.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Pinetreebbs's Avatar
    We bought two of the plain and one serrated from HKS. Both work quite well in our kitchen, the thin profile worked perfectly. Gifted one of the plane edges and gave the other one to a professional for evaluation. Waiting to hear his opinion, his preference is a 10' - 12" chief blade.
    Have you joined Knife Rights yet? Go to: www.KnifeRights.org
    Protecting your Right to own and carry the knives YOU choose.