Thread: Does anyone else polish the inside of the round hole opener?

Spyderco Forum Registered User suedeface's Avatar

Does anyone else polish the inside of the round hole opener?

I bought a few dragonfly and delica 3 models recently. I noticed on most all of them (especially the older aus-8 and ats-55 ones) that there were machine marks, and/or "tits" or large burrs from the cutting of the opening holes. While this doesn't affect the function of the knife, I thought it would look nicer if I cleaned them up. So, I went from 150 gt, all the way up to a 1200 gt. finish and then finished them up with some metal polish. It looks great! It took a little time, but was fairly easy.....so I ended up doing this to most all of my other spyderco knives. The only one that I didn't need to do this to was my Dfly salt. For whatever reason, the inside of the hole looked decent (though I still may give it a higher polish anyway)
    Has anyone else done this? I think it makes my spydercos look even better, and on an older dragonfly that had a chamfered hole, it improved traction a bit. I will try to get a few pics up later if I can, as this post would be better with pics

Spyderco Forum Registered User Blerv's Avatar
    I wouldn't be opposed to it if I didn't accidentally take the "bite" off the hole. I have one dull-hole Spydie, and old Herbst, and one opening is awful.
    Blake

Listing of Blade-Length Laws by State/County (Not My Website)
    http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/USKnife.pdf

Spyderco Forum Registered User Pinetreebbs's Avatar
    No, but on several blades made of H1 I have chamfered the sharp edge of the hole. The edge was so square it was a bit sharp.
    Have you joined Knife Rights yet? Go to: www.KnifeRights.org
    Protecting your Right to own and carry the knives YOU choose.

Spyderco Forum Registered User SpyderEdgeForever's Avatar
    Yeah why is it that while H-1 steel is one of my favorite steels, some of it has a little roughness to it? Is it due to the manufacturing process?

Spyderco Forum Registered User LC Kid's Avatar

Exclamation Just with Japan made.

Hi Folks!

The only Spydies in my collection which I ever consider, and actually did, polish the inside of the hole were the japanese ones.

Delicas, Enduras, D'Flys and LadyBugs, many of them had whatever kind of burrs or even spikes inside the hole, or came with some irregular and actually sharp hole edge.

So I took my Dremel and now the burr is forever gone.

The curious thing is that I've never seen this with any Taiwan made Spyderco, nor USA made, only Japan made ones.
    Stay Sharp!

Spyderco Forum Registered User bearfacedkiller's Avatar
    My Sage3 was very sharp. Wouldn't cut me but would grab the skin and easily chew up my finger nail with just a gentle flick as that is all that knife requires being my smootherst knife. Used a sharpening rod to take the bite out of it. Only one that has been that way for me.
    -Darby

Spyderco Forum Registered User Jazz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Blerv View Post
    I wouldn't be opposed to it if I didn't accidentally take the "bite" off the hole. I have one dull-hole Spydie, and old Herbst, and one opening is awful.
    I'm with you on that. I don't like holes without the bite. Way easier to open a bit sharp.

I don't polish them, but if they are duller than I'd like, I dremel around the inside until sharp enough.
    - best wishes, Jazz.

Spyderco Forum Registered User JBE's Avatar
    Dremels are great for softening up the edges and adding a chamfer to the hole...

A marble works well, though not as efficient as a dremel, if you're just looking to smooth out the edge w/o adding a chamfer
    Jason

Spyderco Forum Registered User Clip's Avatar
    Mine from Taichung and Moki seem to be very sharp. I've smoothed one slightly til it didn't chew up my skin when I opened it, but do like the bite. It certainly doesn't take much to soften the edge up.
    Click here to zoom: Under the Microscope

Manix2, Elmax MT13, M4 Manix2, ZDP Caly3, ZDP Caly Jr, SB Caly3.5, M390 Para2, Cruwear MT12, Techno, XHP MT16, South Fork, SB Caly3, Manix2 Ltwt, Salt I, 20CP Para2, Military Left Hand, Perrin PPT, Forum Native5, Squeak, Manix 83mm, 440V Military, Gayle Bradley, Swick3, Lil' Temperance, Cruwear Military, VG10 Jester, Terzuola SlipIt, XHP Native Ltwt, Domino, CPM154/S90V Para2, SB Stretch, D2 Para, Dfly2 Salt, Tasman Salt

Chris

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    All of my thumb holes have been smooth enough inside.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Evil D's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SpyderEdgeForever View Post
    Yeah why is it that while H-1 steel is one of my favorite steels, some of it has a little roughness to it? Is it due to the manufacturing process?
    Definitely has something to do with the machine work done to the blade, not the steel itself. My guess is it could have something to do with the softness of H1 as compared to other high hardness steels, and it "takes an edge" easier around the hole than other hard steels do.

SHARPEN IT LIKE YOU LOVE IT, USE IT LIKE YOU HATE IT
    ~David

Official plea to Sal: Can we PLEASE get a DLC Yojimbo 2? PLEASE!!?

Spyderco Forum Registered User Blerv's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil D View Post
    Definitely has something to do with the machine work done to the blade, not the steel itself. My guess is it could have something to do with the softness of H1 as compared to other high hardness steels, and it "takes an edge" easier around the hole than other hard steels do.
    It's possible the laser cutting leaves a very dark hole and they have to give it a quick buff.
    Blake

Listing of Blade-Length Laws by State/County (Not My Website)
    http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/USKnife.pdf

Spyderco Forum Registered User dbcad's Avatar
    Never have, a bit of a sharp edge helps with some purchase.

Also a bit consumed with cutting edge so I don't really pay it much mind. Like always it's a preference thing
    Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"

Spyderco Forum Registered User Blue Possum's Avatar
    I have had to take slight bur and sharp edge off a Dragonfly Salt. It was right where my thumb came in contact with opening the blade. 1st time I open it, I thought I cut my thumb open. I used a marble and a small piece of sandpaper and was good to go. If I recall only went up to 1000 grit, one could see the swirl marks if they were looking for them. But I know I was going to using it, and H1 tends to show scratches more readily, so I was satisfied.

I do have a Spyderco Q - that has a rough opening, but I have not tried to smooth it out, and no plans too.
    Blue Possum

I have done it on a couple of my knives, when the rough surface inside the hole has started to corrode, but don't worry about it otherwise. I don't chamfer the edge, leave it sharp.

Spyderco Forum Registered User klug932000's Avatar
    Fully agree I do the same
    Quote Originally Posted by LC Kid View Post
    Hi Folks!

The only Spydies in my collection which I ever consider, and actually did, polish the inside of the hole were the japanese ones.

Delicas, Enduras, D'Flys and LadyBugs, many of them had whatever kind of burrs or even spikes inside the hole, or came with some irregular and actually sharp hole edge.

So I took my Dremel and now the burr is forever gone.

The curious thing is that I've never seen this with any Taiwan made Spyderco, nor USA made, only Japan made ones.
    Can't wait for the next mule

That's one of the things I noticed about the Vallotton vs. most other knives. It seems extra attention was actually paid to the finish inside the hole. While I appreciate the extra attention to detail there, the practical side of me would probably usually prefer to leave the laser marks and save a few pennies.