Thread: Spyderco P'kal Sharpener

Spyderco Forum Registered User

Spyderco P'kal Sharpener

If you want something done right you got to do it yourself.
    I'm looking for a sharpener for my pkal
    I googled this and found that the most threads on this topic that were outdated-
    On hawksbill/pkal blade with no firm answer.
    What is going to be the best sharpener on the market for this blade?
    No piker answers like "you could try or there are plenty out there it really depends"
    Let's hear answers from pkal owners.
    Hope this is useful to others this is a popular knife.

Spyderco Forum Registered User yablanowitz's Avatar
    How can anyone else tell you what is going to work "the best" for you? What is "the best"? Is it defined by price, ease of use, simplicity, speed or appearance of the final edge? Do you have any skill at sharpening or does the device need to provide that as well?

"The best" sharpener for your P'kal is Spyderco's sharpening service. Send it to them and it comes back sharp.

Welcome to the forum. There is a great deal of experience and information available here for the asking, but demanding absolutes is not likely to get you anywhere.
    I don't believe in safe queens, only in pre-need replacements.

Spyderco Forum Registered User bearfacedkiller's Avatar
    With a hawkbill or recurved blade flat stones are not the best idea. You probably want a system with rods. Obviously, this being the spyderco forum, I'm gonna say get a sharpmaker. Beyond that, you are looking for a definitive answer to a question without one. Start with the sharpmaker and see if it gives you the results you desire. If not, try something else.
    -Darby

Quote Originally Posted by yablanowitz View Post
    How can anyone else tell you what is going to work "the best" for you? What is "the best"? Is it defined by price, ease of use, simplicity, speed or appearance of the final edge? Do you have any skill at sharpening or does the device need to provide that as well?

"The best" sharpener for your P'kal is Spyderco's sharpening service. Send it to them and it comes back sharp.

Welcome to the forum. There is a great deal of experience and information available here for the asking, but demanding absolutes is not likely to get you anywhere.
    In response to you yablanowitz Yes "The best" in your experience. The more absolute the better but just want to hear what owners are using with this blade. Reviews so to speak. Thanks for your input really appreciate it.
    Last edited by Twoswords; 03-24-2014 at 05:01 PM.

The recurve on the pkal is quite subtle, the sharpmaker could do it easily using the corners.

Hi Twoswords,

Welcome to our forum.

I use the Sharpmaker, corner of the white rods.

sal

Spyderco Forum Registered User Coulro's Avatar
    Sharpmaker has always worked for hawkbills for me!

I find it easiest to place the sharpmaker near the edge of a table when doing so, gives my arm room to move down and get the whole blade!