Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Next super steel purchase. Tempted by a benchmade, are there comparable spydercos?

Spyderco Forum Registered User

Next super steel purchase. Tempted by a benchmade, are there comparable spydercos?

So I've got zdp, s90v and most of the non "super" steels represented in my collection. I don't know why I've been drawn to collecting different steels but that seems to drive my knife lust at the moment.

I'm tempted by the M390 Contego run at knifeworks, but I would be down for anything in s110v, super blue, elmax etc, though m390 is particularly interesting. Even though my first couple "good" knives were benchmades I prefer spyderco and I'd like to know if anyone can point me in the right direction to acquire something interesting for under $200. A super blue endura would be awesome but looks like they are all gone. Anyhow what should I look for so I can add to my Spyderco collection?

There will be Carbon Fiber s110v Native 5's in the future around $200 I believe.
    That m390 Contego looks real nice though.

Spyderco Forum Registered User xceptnl's Avatar
    If you are looking to try Superblue, the Stretch is out as well as the Ladybug. You could actually pickup both and a pocketstone for under $200.
    My 's:
    Native, Manix 2 (BD1,154CM,S30V,M4,XHP,S110V,Cruwear), Delica 4 (White,Red,Brown,Blue,BRG,G-10), Spyderhawk, D'fly (H1,G-10,SB), Police3, Volpe, Military (S30V,XHP,D2,M390,BG42,440V,Cruwear), Superleafs, Forager, D2 Para, Kopas, Kiwis, Caly (JR's,3,3.5), Para2 (XHP,204P), Stretch (SS,FRN's,CF), Rescues, Dyad Jr, Pingos, Southard, AIR, Jess Horns, Forum N5, Lil Matriarch, Barong, Superhawk, Chinook II, ATR, SPY-DK, Captain, Ti UKPK, Mules

*Landon*

Spyderco Forum Registered User senorsquare's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by xceptnl View Post
    If you are looking to try Superblue, the Stretch is out as well as the Ladybug. You could actually pickup both and a pocketstone for under $200.
    Good advice here. The super blue stretch would be a good pick up. You should also be able to get a Gayle Bradley with CPM-M4 any time you like.

Spyderco Forum Registered User gbelleh's Avatar
    Maybe you could find a blue M390 Para 2 for sale somewhere. Maybe not for $200 though.
    My New Gear Review YouTube Channel

Latest Spydies: Lum Tanto FB Sprint, Green CTS-204P Para 2, K390 Mule, 2013 Forum Native 5, Domino, Blue G-10 Lava, Cruwear Military, Swick 3, Jot Singh Khalsa sprint, Hungarian Folder, CF S90V Manix 2 XL, Fluted Ti Military, Fluted Ti Native 5, Nilakka, Brown XHP Native, Equilibrium, Street Bowie, Lil Matriarch, Cat

Spyderco Forum Registered User Blerv's Avatar
    Besides minute generational changes to the formula...

Bohler M390 = Latrobe Duratech 20v = Carpenter CTS-204p

You can still buy a Delica SB and soon a Stretch for far under $200. If you want the best apples-to-apples comparison though (ultra high carbide isn't the same as low carbide non-stainless), the Southard comes in 204p.
    Blake

Listing of Blade-Length Laws by State/County (Not My Website)
    http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/USKnife.pdf

Spyderco Forum Registered User opusxpn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bakergh View Post
    So I've got zdp, s90v and most of the non "super" steels represented in my collection. I don't know why I've been drawn to collecting different steels but that seems to drive my knife lust at the moment.

I'm tempted by the M390 Contego run at knifeworks, but I would be down for anything in s110v, super blue, elmax etc, though m390 is particularly interesting. Even though my first couple "good" knives were benchmades I prefer spyderco and I'd like to know if anyone can point me in the right direction to acquire something interesting for under $200. A super blue endura would be awesome but looks like they are all gone. Anyhow what should I look for so I can add to my Spyderco collection?
    I got my Endura and Delica super blue from National Knives I think you might find at least one of them available, they have a 1 per person limit; act fast you might still score one or both
    Keep 'em sharpEndura4 (blk all edges, brwn, FG, SB, RG ZDP, blk tac, wave) Salt1 (blk, yllw PE H1)Tasman(yllw SE H1) Pacific salt(blk SE H1) Stretch(ZDP, SB) Delica4(blk CE, wave, SB) Drgfly2(yllw SE H1, org PE,SB PE) Pingo(blk) Cat G10(blk) Centofante3 Ldybg3(FG,SB,Hwk yllw H1, tan H1, blk) Manbug (blk SE, SB) Manix2(Ltw trans blue PE, G10 PE, Ltw dark blue frn) Para2(dig/satin, blk/satin) Military(Cru-Wear) Resilience, Tenacious(blk CE,grn PE), K04 Blk PE, K04 Blue SE, Byrd Robin2 G10

If you dont have the Gayle Bradley that needs to be your next purchase!
    Next Spyderco: Worker Sprint, Lightweight Manix 2 S110V

To rival the Contego I was going to suggest the Manix 2 XL, particularly the recent run with S90V steel, but those will cost a little more now.

Quote Originally Posted by bdblue View Post
    To rival the Contego I was going to suggest the Manix 2 XL, particularly the recent run with S90V steel, but those will cost a little more now.
    I've got the Manix XL S90V, I snagged one of the last ten, it is awesome and is mostly responsible for my increase in knifelust for more super steel spydercos.

The Gayle Bradley in m4 is an extremely impressive knife in an amazing steel. And built well above its price point IMO.

Spyderco Forum Registered User xceptnl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by senorsquare View Post
    ...You should also be able to get a Gayle Bradley with CPM-M4 any time you like.
    Better advise here. Superblue is awesome, but M4 is better and you can still afford the Ladybug SB

Quote Originally Posted by Blerv View Post
    ... If you want the best apples-to-apples comparison though (ultra high carbide isn't the same as low carbide non-stainless), the Southard comes in 204p.
    This advise is the best of all. The Southard is awesome and so is 204P.
    My 's:
    Native, Manix 2 (BD1,154CM,S30V,M4,XHP,S110V,Cruwear), Delica 4 (White,Red,Brown,Blue,BRG,G-10), Spyderhawk, D'fly (H1,G-10,SB), Police3, Volpe, Military (S30V,XHP,D2,M390,BG42,440V,Cruwear), Superleafs, Forager, D2 Para, Kopas, Kiwis, Caly (JR's,3,3.5), Para2 (XHP,204P), Stretch (SS,FRN's,CF), Rescues, Dyad Jr, Pingos, Southard, AIR, Jess Horns, Forum N5, Lil Matriarch, Barong, Superhawk, Chinook II, ATR, SPY-DK, Captain, Ti UKPK, Mules

*Landon*

Spyderco Forum Registered User nccole's Avatar
    Southard, Gayle Bradley, and Para 2's in m390 and also 204P. I saw a user 204P Para 2 for $200 on BF, and in general go for cheaper than the blue M390.

Spyderco Forum Registered User wrdwrght's Avatar
    I'm also curious about different steels and Spyderco keeps me coming back for more.

However, among the tool steels, the discontinued D2 Para Military doesn't interest me now that the PM2 is here; and the O1 Bushcraft doesn't interest me because, while I love the thumbhole on a folder, I want no hole on a fixed blade.

While I'm glad to have several M4 Spyderco models, I am looking at Blind Horse Knives (now LT Wright Handcrafted Knives and Battle Horse Knives) for A2, D2 and O1 steels.

I have a Blind Horse Knives micarta-scaled scandi-grind Bushcrafter and Bush Baby in O1 and they are superb.
    Marc

USUAL CARRY: Air/Techno plus one from Manix/Native/Para/Caly/Stretch series. RECENT ARRIVAL: Cruwear Manix2. ON MY RADAR: CF S110V Native5 (pre-ordered); VG10 Caly 3.5. HOLY GRAILS: Superhawk; Manix (C95 FFG PE); S90V Manix2 (C101 "Mini" or 80mm). DREAMS: Tatanka (the long-awaited Bison!); Sage5.

Quote Originally Posted by wrdwrght View Post
    the O1 Bushcraft doesn't interest me because, while I love the thumbhole on a folder, I want no hole on a fixed blade.
    Is that the only reason?
    Water babies singing in a lily-pool delight
    Blue powder monkies praying in the dead of night
    Here comes the black queen, poking in the pile
    Fie-fo the black queen, marching single file

Spyderco Forum Registered User wrdwrght's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Janfrederik View Post
    Is that the only reason?
    It was enough to get me to look elsewhere, and, what do you know, I found what I think is a better design.
    Marc

USUAL CARRY: Air/Techno plus one from Manix/Native/Para/Caly/Stretch series. RECENT ARRIVAL: Cruwear Manix2. ON MY RADAR: CF S110V Native5 (pre-ordered); VG10 Caly 3.5. HOLY GRAILS: Superhawk; Manix (C95 FFG PE); S90V Manix2 (C101 "Mini" or 80mm). DREAMS: Tatanka (the long-awaited Bison!); Sage5.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Ankerson's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Blerv View Post
    Besides minute generational changes to the formula...

Bohler M390 = Latrobe Duratech 20v = Carpenter CTS-204p
    Missing one.

CPM 20CV, Crucible is making it now too.

Spyderco Forum Registered User michaelm466's Avatar
    The Southard is one of my favorite Spydercos, I also really like the Contego (already have the regular M4 version) and plan on getting the M390 version soon, I'd say go for the M390 Contego now (unless you get the chance at a limited edition Spyderco) and you can always get a regular production Southard or GB later (which I would highly recommend). There is also the M390 BM 581 which is quite nice.
    Southfork, Mule Team K390, Military CPM-M4/Ti, Military CTS-XHP, Military CF/M390, Para-Military 2 CPM-S90V, Para-Military 2 CTS-20CP, Para-Military 2 CTS-204P, Para-Military 2 M390, Para-Military 2 CTS-XHP, Para-Military 2 CPM-S35VN, Manix 2 XL, Manix 2 CPM-S30V/Blue G10, Manix 2 CTS-BD30P, Manix 2 CTS-XHP, Manix 2 CPM-M4, Southard, Gayle Bradley, Superhawk, Forum Native CPM-S110V, Endura Super Blue, Pacific Salt, Ladybug Hawkbill H1, Ladybug ZDP-189, Bug

You could try the upcoming BM 940-1..it will be a CF/S90V combo..the 940 is one of BM's best IMO.

"However, among the tool steels, the discontinued D2 Para Military doesn't interest me now that the PM2 is here; and the O1 Bushcraft doesn't interest me because, while I love the thumbhole on a folder, I want no hole on a fixed blade."

How about a Cru-Wear Military?