Thread: The Joy of Simple Green

Spyderco Forum Registered User wrdwrght's Avatar

The Joy of Simple Green

All my oilstones have been gummed up for while so, while reprofiling a new knife with some new waterstones, I soaked the oilstones in a solution of water and Simple Green. To my surprise, all the oil and metal particles lifted right off without scrubbing. Without hesitation, I put my SharpMaker rods into this solution and got the same result. Bar Keeper's Friend and an abrasive pad require more effort for a lesser result. YMMV.
    Marc

USUAL CARRY: Air/Techno plus one from Manix/Native/Para/Caly/Stretch series. RECENT ARRIVAL: Cruwear Manix2. ON MY RADAR: CF S110V Native5 (pre-ordered); VG10 Caly 3.5. HOLY GRAILS: Superhawk; Manix (C95 FFG PE); S90V Manix2 (C101 "Mini" or 80mm). DREAMS: Tatanka (the long-awaited Bison!); Sage5.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Blerv's Avatar
    Oh nice tip, thanks
    Blake

Listing of Blade-Length Laws by State/County (Not My Website)
    http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/USKnife.pdf

Spyderco Forum Registered User Evil D's Avatar
    You may also try Super Clean, it's biodegradable so you can pour it out anywhere and it cleans stuff really well. I also have a spray bottle of some stuff called Meaner Greener which I guess is an industrial version of Simple Green, we used to use it to clean print dies and it actually burns if you spray it on your hands so it will clean just about anything.

SHARPEN IT LIKE YOU LOVE IT, USE IT LIKE YOU HATE IT
    ~David

Official plea to Sal: Can we PLEASE get a DLC Yojimbo 2? PLEASE!!?

Thanks, David. I'll look for Super Clean and Meaner Greener. Can't have too many labor-savers.
    Marc

USUAL CARRY: Air/Techno plus one from Manix/Native/Para/Caly/Stretch series. RECENT ARRIVAL: Cruwear Manix2. ON MY RADAR: CF S110V Native5 (pre-ordered); VG10 Caly 3.5. HOLY GRAILS: Superhawk; Manix (C95 FFG PE); S90V Manix2 (C101 "Mini" or 80mm). DREAMS: Tatanka (the long-awaited Bison!); Sage5.

Spyderco Forum Registered User this_is_nascar's Avatar
    You think Super Green works well, give Spray Nine a try sometime.
    "The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun". --- Wayne LaPierre 12/21/2012

Spyderco Forum Registered User D1omedes's Avatar
    How long did you let the rods sit in the solution? Roughly, how much Simple Green to water did you use?

Thanks for the tip - you have piqued my curiosity.

Quote Originally Posted by D1omedes View Post
    How long did you let the rods sit in the solution? Roughly, how much Simple Green to water did you use?

Thanks for the tip - you have piqued my curiosity.
    Roughly, 15 minutes in solution (maybe a cup of SG to 3 cups water), then a rinse under running water.
    Marc

Quote Originally Posted by this_is_nascar View Post
    You think Super Green works well, give Spray Nine a try sometime.
    OK, I'll add Spray Nine to the Simple Green contenders Super Clean and Meaner Greener.
    Marc

Spyderco Forum Registered User paladin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil D View Post
    You may also try Super Clean, it's biodegradable so you can pour it out anywhere and it cleans stuff really well.
    David is that stuff in a Purple spray bottle? or is that a different product?

thanks for the great tip wrdwrght!
    Have Kiwi, will travel...wire Paladin...Hotel Carlton, San Francisco

Spyderco Forum Registered User jmh58's Avatar
    I use Simple Green for EVERY thing.. Cars, laundry, and all cleaning jobs!!! I go thru a couple gallons a month!! John
    A great rabbit chase ends with a.. BANG!!!

Never too old to relive your youth!!

Life is to short to carry a cheap knife!!!

Spyderco Forum Registered User Evil D's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by paladin View Post
    David is that stuff in a Purple spray bottle? or is that a different product?

thanks for the great tip wrdwrght!
    I think it comes in a spray bottle. I usually buy it in a gallon jug at Wally World. I started using it because it actually eats paint off model car bodies if you soak the body in it for a day or so and it won't hurt the plastic. I've also used it in pressure washers to clean engine bays and it works great. I do love Simple Green though, not sure which I would say is better.

SHARPEN IT LIKE YOU LOVE IT, USE IT LIKE YOU HATE IT
    ~David

Official plea to Sal: Can we PLEASE get a DLC Yojimbo 2? PLEASE!!?

Spyderco Forum Registered User ChapmanPreferred's Avatar
    I'll have to try that.
    SFO Alumni/Authorized Spyderco Dealer (Startup)
    Work EDC List
    FRP: Nisjin Cricket PE, Manbug PE, Dragonfly PE
    FLP: SS Cricket SE, byrd Flatbyrd CE
    BRP: CF Military S90V
    BLP: Forum S110V Native

Spyderco Forum Registered User opusxpn's Avatar
    Just got some simple green to try out, I usually used comet cleaner and scrubbing pad. But its always good to try new things
    Keep 'em sharpEndura4 (blk all edges, brwn, FG, SB, RG ZDP, blk tac, wave) Salt1 (blk, yllw PE H1)Tasman(yllw SE H1) Pacific salt(blk SE H1) Stretch(ZDP, SB) Delica4(blk CE, wave, SB) Drgfly2(yllw SE H1, org PE,SB PE) Pingo(blk) Cat G10(blk) Centofante3 Ldybg3(FG,SB,Hwk yllw H1, tan H1, blk) Manbug (blk SE, SB) Manix2(Ltw trans blue PE, G10 PE, Ltw dark blue frn) Para2(dig/satin, blk/satin) Military(Cru-Wear) Resilience, Tenacious(blk CE,grn PE), K04 Blk PE, K04 Blue SE, Byrd Robin2 G10