Thread: Better lock-back for Delica/Endura models

Spyderco Forum Registered User

Better lock-back for Delica/Endura models

As much as I enjoy new lock-back models(Native5,Chaparral) my Delicas and Enduras have a special place in my heart.In fact, my old saber grind Delica was a trustfull companion over the years.I quote Sal saying about the new lock-back "...on the Native5 lock-back, we're using closer tolerances, refined shapes and a different mfg method". Don't you think Delica/Endura line also deserves an improved lock-back ?

Only if it doesn't increase the cost.
    Adam

Spyderco Forum Registered User jabba359's Avatar
    Oddly enough, the improved backlock on my 2013 Forum Native 5 has a lot more vertical play than any of my other backlocks (Delica 3, Delica 4, Endura 4, FRN Stretch, FRN Native, etc.). I had never noticed any bladeplay before with the other knives (unless I'm specifically trying to detect it), but it's quite apparent with my Native 5. It's entirely possible I got a far less than optimal specimen of the new lock, however.
    -Kyle

On the Fence: Tuff, Techno
    Latest arrivals: MT19 PSF27 Mule, Des Horn, Dialex Junior

You don't necessarily need to fix a problem that doesn't exist.

I am pretty happy with my delicas lock up having just recently got mine it actually impresses me how sturdy it is. Has it ever failed on you?
    Own: C81GPBN2 x 2, C11FPGY
    Wanted: FB30GP, C180GP, C10FPBN, C11FPBN & Shirley-Owens ARK

Spyderco Forum Registered User morgaj1's Avatar
    I am very happy with the lock on my Delica. If it ain't broke...

Spyderco Forum Registered User Blerv's Avatar
    I don't know. I had a Native5 for a while and the lock seemed more clunky than my Japanese Spydies so I sold it. If that's "improved" (and customary) I'll stick with version 1.0.
    Blake

Spyderco Forum Registered User StuntZombie's Avatar
    I was under the impression that the new backlock was eventually going to be applied to the Delicas and Enduras. I may have imagined Sal saying that though.
    Chris

I have a blog! http://stuntzombies.blogspot.com/

The sole member of the anti-jimping club.

What is upgraded about it?

Like Cujobob says, no need to fix what isn't a problem.

We're always tweaking the Endura dn Delica locks. We've made minor refinements over the years and will continue to do so. Everytime we, or they (our maker) learns of a possible improvement, we make it.

sal

Quote Originally Posted by GoodEyeSniper View Post
    What is upgraded about it?
    Native 5 parts are cut/machined using the wire EDM process, allowing tighter tolerances.

I don't know about which version I used on my zdp-189 endura which failed on me, but I can say that my SB strech feel so solid it push me thinking my ZDP had a failure only due to random reason which we don't even know and that normaly doesn't happen.

I might give ZDP backlock another chance since the strech raised my opinion on backlock. I did love the ZDP so much, the issue I had with it's backlock was the only thing keeping me from buying another.
    Owned : Broken tip ZDP-189 Endura, Mule Team 18, Mr Itou R2 180mm Gyoto, Super Blue Stretch, Super Blue Ladybug
    In the wish list model list: Southard, *Yuna Qi 4.1 in K390*, ZDP-189 Ladybug, Chaparral, any AEB-L Sal would make into a folder!

Spyderco Forum Registered User The Mastiff's Avatar
    I love the older style lockback on my Enduras, Stretch, and others. They seem to get smoother and smoother over the years and polish up very well. I'm in no hurry to see them go even though I also do like the new Native lock.
    "A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"

Spyderco Forum Registered User The Mastiff's Avatar
    I don't know about which version I used on my zdp-189 endura which failed on me, but I can say that my SB strech feel so solid it push me thinking my ZDP had a failure only due to random reason which we don't even know and that normaly doesn't happen.

I might give ZDP backlock another chance since the strech raised my opinion on backlock. I did love the ZDP so much, the issue I had with it's backlock was the only thing keeping me from buying another.
    What besides a broken tip on the blade was wrong with your ZDP Endura? You know there is several different versions of ZDP stretch that have been made over the years. If you don't want to try another Endura there are some nice Stretches available including an old discontinued Carbon Fiber ZDP stretch that is fairly easy to get.
    "A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"

The broken tip was a handling mistake made by a newbie and has nothing to do with the knife built quality or anything.

I already talked with sal about the trouble on the endura backlock the warranty team handled it to try to figure out. The lock wouldn't keep the knife open under light pressure. From what they told me, a part of the lock worn down. At first I was affraid it might have been difference in steel hardness between the part. I couldn't tell exactly what went on with it to cause the failure and I didn't want to try another ZDP to see for myself if the 2nd would fail or keep going strong. Maybe someday I'll buy another to see, but for now I seem to enjoy the SB stretch model I ordered as a replacement more then I would have thought!

I had a few short email with sal afterward and I am now pretty sure it was only random badluck of knife failing after 1.5 year and that I could thrust a new ZDP backlock. But knife budget isn't as some other have here. As much as I'd love to have more then 2 user (ladybug as an always on my keychain and strech at job) I can't afford to buy any knife unless I absolutly need it, which in my case mean my knife would be unusable. As much as I loved my ZDP endura in general, I don't have a clue what I'll get once my stretch need to be replaced. So many choice I might try something new to see how I love it. It won't be soon anyway and have much time to make up my mind
    Last edited by Laethageal; 08-17-2014 at 09:07 AM.
    Owned : Broken tip ZDP-189 Endura, Mule Team 18, Mr Itou R2 180mm Gyoto, Super Blue Stretch, Super Blue Ladybug
    In the wish list model list: Southard, *Yuna Qi 4.1 in K390*, ZDP-189 Ladybug, Chaparral, any AEB-L Sal would make into a folder!

Spyderco Forum Registered User Doc Dan's Avatar
    I had suggested a new lock about a month or two ago but the idea was poorly received on this Forum. But, I agree...with the advent of the Powerlock there could be an upgrade of significance. Of course, this means redesign and retooling (expensive).
    NRA Life Member

Until we meet again, may the good Lord take a liking to you.
    (Roy Rogers)

Spyderco Forum Registered User Blerv's Avatar
    The lock on the current knife is stronger (IMO) than it needs to be given the thin blade and intent of design. It's part if Janich's MBC curriculum so essentially "combat capable".

Some people would like to fix things that aren't broken. I (like some) believe that those funds could be allocated elsewhere. From more consistent F&F to maintaining the low msrp. That and often there is a trade-off for strength besides cost: Diminished ease of function.
    Blake

Quote Originally Posted by Blerv View Post
    The lock on the current knife is stronger (IMO) than it needs to be given the thin blade and intent of design. It's part if Janich's MBC curriculum so essentially "combat capable".

Some people would like to fix things that aren't broken. I (like some) believe that those funds could be allocated elsewhere. From more consistent F&F to maintaining the low msrp. That and often there is a trade-off for strength besides cost: Diminished ease of function.

Well said, Sir.