Thread: Closing the Manix 2XL

Spyderco Forum Registered User texashawk50's Avatar

Closing the Manix 2XL

Why is my Manix2 XL so hard to close. My fingers get tired of trying to work out the stiffness of the lock with no luck. I have lubed it with some good oil but again no help. Looking for some good ideas from my Spidie friends .

Spyderco Forum Registered User MacLaren's Avatar
    All my Manix XL's have performed flawlessly - but, the DLC is a bit- just a bit more stiff.
    But, nothing close to what you describe. Good luck. Help will be on the way.
    Vallotton, Caly3.5,Manix 2 XL (gifted to bro),Military Camo/DLC,Domino Blue,Manix 2 XL CF S90v, Manix 2 S110V, Mule Team#19 K390,Manix 2 XL DLC,Rock Lobster
    SpyderNation #31

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    Possibly a burr on the tang catching the bearing when you release the lock?

If this is the case, lube will likely not help, and probably prolong the wear-in process...

Could be an extra-strong spring, or mis-alignment if the spring assembly.

All speculation of course.

I don't know if you are possibly expecting it to get to Axis-lock ease, but if so, the different styles of spring will not let this happen...

Do not have any Benchmades but I have seen videos where they seem to be more user friendly. However on my Manix 2 XL it is quite stiff. Perhaps I will need to take it apart and see if there is an obvious issue. Although it is only a couple of months old, carry time as been quite limited. Trying to unlock it at times, with so much pressure needed, has proven to be a possible be a safety issue. It is that bad.
    I was just not sure if this is a common issue or not.
    Will take her apart and will check back on what I find or do not find. Thanks very much for the feedback.

Check with customer service.

CBBL is known to be finicky to reassemble properly.

Be forewarned.

Ok
    Wondering if someone has put out step by step instructions on reassembly? Would seem to be a good video to put together. And no I am not volunteering. LOL
    Para-military 2, Tenacious, Manix2 XL, Resilience, Dragonfly 2 Foliage Green, Techno, Endura 4 Emerson Wave, TUFF, Sage 1, Navaja, Matriarch2 FRN with Emerson Opener and the Civilian

Spyderco Forum Registered User Donut's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by texashawk50 View Post
    Ok
    Wondering if someone has put out step by step instructions on reassembly? Would seem to be a good video to put together. And no I am not volunteering. LOL
    This guy does a pretty good job:

-Brian
    A distinguished lurker.
    Chat with us. Sharpthings - A Blog Site

He makes it look easy.
    Famous last word
    Para-military 2, Tenacious, Manix2 XL, Resilience, Dragonfly 2 Foliage Green, Techno, Endura 4 Emerson Wave, TUFF, Sage 1, Navaja, Matriarch2 FRN with Emerson Opener and the Civilian

Spyderco Forum Registered User Evil D's Avatar
    I don't know for certain but I wouldn't be surprised if the spring in the XL is stronger, considering the bigger blade.

SHARPEN IT LIKE YOU LOVE IT, USE IT LIKE YOU HATE IT
    ~David

Official plea to Sal: Can we PLEASE get a DLC Yojimbo 2? PLEASE!!?

Spyderco Forum Registered User The Deacon's Avatar
    Be aware that, at least when brand new, CBBL's are a lot easier to release if you use two fingers. Also, in case it was not mentioned in that video, disassembly of a Spyderco knife voids the warranty. If your M2XL is really that difficult to close, returning it to Spyderco for evaluation would be safer than tinkering with it.
    Paul
    My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Kiwimania ---- Spydiewiki
    Dead horses beaten, sacred cows tipped, chimeras hunted when time permits.
    WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!

My lightweight is the first one I've ever handled that I could unlock with just my thumb, and it still takes a good amount of force to do so.

~David

Spyderco Forum Registered User Donut's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Deacon View Post
    Also, in case it was not mentioned in that video, disassembly of a Spyderco knife voids the warranty.
    Yeah, I thought of that just now, I should have posted it with the video.
    -Brian
    A distinguished lurker.
    Chat with us. Sharpthings - A Blog Site

Texas, I am unclear whether your knife is hard to close, or if the lock is hard to disengage. I've got a Manix2 where the lock is just a bit sticky, and a couple of others that aren't.
    On all of them the blade is easy to open and close. They all require pinching the lock slide between two fingers to disengage it.

My DLC M2 would stick when opened, and the initial force to unlock and get it unstuck was quite a lot. It may have smoothed out over time, but I sold it.

~David

Quote Originally Posted by Fancier View Post
    Texas, I am unclear whether your knife is hard to close, or if the lock is hard to disengage. I've got a Manix2 where the lock is just a bit sticky, and a couple of others that aren't.
    On all of them the blade is easy to open and close. They all require pinching the lock slide between two fingers to disengage it.
    For clarity to the OP, my advice above was based on the assumption that he was referring to lock disengagement. (That's how I read it initially, but re-reading, could have meant blade swing difficulty)

Just to clarify I meant that the actual disengagement of the lock is almost frozen at times once I flick the blade open and it engages. The blade itself closes just fine once I FINALLY get the lock to disengage. I like the knife itself but just the work at disengaging the lock takes all of the enjoyment out of carrying it. I was thinking perhaps somehow like someone else mentioned perhaps there is a foreign matter some how messing with the spring mechanism.

If you can stand to part with it and haven't disassembled it yet, it sounds like a good candidate to send in for warranty service. That said, I have heard of someone doing a few seconds of Dremel work on a sticky polymer cage, I think without disassembly, but that doesn't sound like your problem.
    MY SPYDIE LIST (on profile page)
    Want List: New Stretch prototype Coyote G-10 slab/ZDP test sprint!