Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How about a two-hand-operated locking spyderco knife?

Spyderco Forum Registered User gbelleh's Avatar
    I wonder if having a round circle laser etched in the blade where a hole would normally be would satisfy Spyderco's trademark round hole requirement. It would still look like a Spyderco, but would have an etched circle, rather than an actual hole. This could also be done on fixed blades. Just an idea...
    My New Gear Review YouTube Channel

Latest Spydies: Lum Tanto FB Sprint, Green CTS-204P Para 2, K390 Mule, 2013 Forum Native 5, Domino, Blue G-10 Lava, Cruwear Military, Swick 3, Jot Singh Khalsa sprint, Hungarian Folder, CF S90V Manix 2 XL, Fluted Ti Military, Fluted Ti Native 5, Nilakka, Brown XHP Native, Equilibrium, Street Bowie, Lil Matriarch, Cat

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by gbelleh View Post
    I wonder if having a round circle laser etched in the blade where a hole would normally be would satisfy Spyderco's trademark round hole requirement. It would still look like a Spyderco, but would have an etched circle, rather than an actual hole. This could also be done on fixed blades. Just an idea...
    This is a great idea....

I like the idea of a Buck 110 Hunter model but a spyderco, not necessarily same dimensions at all but I like the idea, my 110 feels like a fixed blade when locked open.

My other folders still feel like folders...
    Next Spyderco: Worker Sprint, Lightweight Manix 2 S110V

Spyderco Forum Registered User Grejs76's Avatar
    A Caly with a drop point blade like the UKPK.

Mikael

We made a sampling of lite weights (endura, delica, stretch) with small holes and narrow blades,m for Germany several yearsa ago, but those of us that knew what we were doing could open them one handed, either with the small hole or inertia. I guess we could tighten up the spring on one and see if it will still funtion, but too difficult to OHO?

sal

Yes, yes, yes. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by sal View Post
    ... but those of us that knew what we were doing could open them one handed, either with the small hole or inertia. I guess we could tighten up the spring on one and see if it will still funtion, but too difficult to OHO?
    Hi Sal,

as far as I know case-law here in Germany over the last years, definition of a two hand opening knife is... well, what we all understand as a THO. Buck 110 style, Backlocks, etc.
    Situation is not 100% clear and can change, but at the moment, i would say, a classic backlock with no thumb studs, discs, holes etc for OHT is legal to carry here. Mainly (but not only) it depends on if the knife is constructed for OHT or not. About the inertia opening - for you or Michael J., all knives are OHO but you are not the norm for legal definitions

We discussed the legal situation in Germany/EU during our time at the IWA for years. I know, you need the hole as a trademark. And beneath design criteria, the name Spyderco stands for one hand opening knives. Thats your tradition. Ok.

Why not build a OHT slipjoint. Plus a safety on the back of the knife for open (plus closed?) position, for which you need the second hand. Would be a nice feature for those, who like the technical/mechanical stuff on knives, like me The knife can be opened with one hand - and can be used like a slipjoint. And the safety makes it a fixed.

I will not get a Nobel Price for this idea , Grant and Gavin Hawk have the principle in one of their current knives, and quite sure, it has been made some times before. But why not do that again in an other way.

best wishes
    Peter

Spyderco Forum Registered User defenestrate's Avatar
    Hi Godon, That would be possible. I believe I've seen some like that.

sal
    How about a heavier Slip-it style 90 degree stop? I think that might do the trick in terms of perception as well as reducing on-close cuts for some less experienced ELUs.
    I don't get mad. I get..Stabby.
    -Fat Tony

Spyderco Forum Registered User The Deacon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gbelleh View Post
    Or possibly kill two birds with one stone and use an etched circle containing a smaller version of the laser cut bug on the blade of the Q.
    Paul
    My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Kiwimania ---- Spydiewiki
    Dead horses beaten, sacred cows tipped, chimeras hunted when time permits.
    WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!

Spyderco Forum Registered User Screwdriver's Avatar
    I was in Berlin a few years ago on vacation and I carried my military. I am thinking I was breaking the law.....
    PM2(Camo/Satin) Military (Safety Orange, Camo), Endura (Wave, ZDP-189, Super Blue), Gayle Bradley, Techno, Pacific Salt PE, Tasman Salt SE, Harpy, Manbug ZDP-189, Dragonfly Aus 8, Ladybug (Red with CE...1990ish), Cricket SE, Civilian.

Any New thoughts om this isue?

Mikael.

I have a Bahco Utility folding knife like shown. It is a back lock, and it has a Nice two handed action. The tang has a humb, that makes it stiffer.

Mikael.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  33.3 KB

Spyderco Forum Registered User robot37's Avatar
    I think that the OP brings up a very interesting idea.
    Sure, most would think that all Spydies have to be one hand openers, but far above that I would say that Spydies are elegant cutting tools. With that higher calling in mind, why NOT make something that was THO and legal in more restrictive jurisdictions, and something that could NEVER be misconstrued as a questionably legal opening mechanism?

I know that people cite any number of other knife makers' models as suitable replacements for a strictly THO Spyderco, but Sal, Eric and crew bring something special to the table with great ergonomics and convention-shattering designs. Not to mention great quality control and superior value.

I say go for it. Spyderco is great at trying something new for a while and discontinuing things that don't really pan out in the long run. They take bold risks and endear themselves to those of us who really love knives.

-nate

Spyderco Forum Registered User Holland's Avatar
    I'm very happy I live in place with no real restrictions
    Phil Wilson Smoke Creek s110v, SouthFork, Gayle Bradley, Chaparral 1, Chaparral 2, Native 5, Para2, Para1 SE, Caly 3, Dragonfly 2, Dragonfly 2, Delica 4, Ladybug 3

-Spencer

Quote Originally Posted by Holland View Post
    I'm very happy I live in place with no real restrictions
    I can second this one...
    Next Spyderco: Worker Sprint, Lightweight Manix 2 S110V

I am new to this forum, and holding my breath in waiting for the SPY-DK to arrive in danish knifeshops. The next legal knife produced after danish knife law, would I like to see as hawkbill salt with H1 blade, that could be a really nice worker knife for me. But the Native as Grejs76 mentioned earlier in the thread could be cool also.

Spyderco Forum Registered User jackknifeh's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Screwdriver View Post
    I was in Berlin a few years ago on vacation and I carried my military. I am thinking I was breaking the law.....
    I think you should go back there and turn yourself in.

Jack

My EDC for a while. Stretch with carbon fiber handle, Chaparral 2, Dragonfly 2 with kirinite MOP handle, Manbug with bolster/red bone handle. Super blue/420J1 blades on all three (except Chaparral).

Sorry I have not been on this. Traveling a great deal.

Hi Robot, Bullmib,

Welcome to our forum.

On etching a "hole", the trademark is a through hole and we feel it is important to adhere to the through hole. We do make it smaller on some models and Fixed blades.

Both of the DK models (Pingo and Spy-DK) are THO, but don't lock.

Naturally the first thought would be towards existing tooling, like the Endura and fashion a blade that requires two hands to open. To create a new model would put it far back on the list due to design, engineering time, and tooling.

Peter,

Glad to see you here. If you are interested, you can help drive this project. Email your mailing address to me and I'll send you a couple of the models we made a few years ago and we can begin there.

sal

...Naturally the first thought would be towards existing tooling, like the Endura and fashion a blade that requires two hands to open. To create a new model would put it far back on the list due to design, engineering time, and tooling...

sal
    I second reuse of an exsisting model. Plenty of great knives to choose from. I already mentioned some of the ones, i see plausible.

Mikael.

Hi Sal.

Any news on the THO locking knife?

Mikael.

Nothing yet Mikael. We're traveling quite a bit for the next 2 months so in-house work is slowed.

sal