Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 46

Thread: Serrated models being discontinued?

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Spyderco Forum Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    4

    Serrated models being discontinued?

    Is spyderco trying to move away from models offering serrated edges. The manix and military are both discontinued in serrated, and I wonder if this is a new trend.

  2. #2
    Spyderco Forum Registered User Blerv's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    10,118
    It wouldnt be if people bought more of them. The amount of serrated fans is on an obvious decline.

    I honestly still think Spyderco will have more serrated (especially full serrated) knives than any other maker. It's part of their history and there are enough fans to support a small niche. Their teeth perform well and aren't just a marketing ploy.
    Blake

    Listing of Blade-Length Laws by State/County (Not My Website)
    http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/USKnife.pdf

  3. #3
    Spyderco Forum Registered User Strong-Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    521
    I hope so. If this is true, it will give them more production capabilities for other models.
    Q: What was the most positive result of the "Cash for clunkers"
    program?

    A: It took 95% of the Obama bumper stickers off the road.
    -Letterman

  4. #4
    Spyderco Forum Registered User bearfacedkiller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Denver, Colorado, USA, Earth
    Posts
    563
    All these super steels are pushing the serrations out. The perception now is to get a knife that stays sharp instead of relying on serrations. Not saying this is correct percepetion but it may be part of the cause.
    -Darby

  5. #5
    Spyderco Forum Registered User The Deacon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Upstate SC, USA
    Posts
    21,277
    Quote Originally Posted by bearfacedkiller View Post
    All these super steels are pushing the serrations out. The perception now is to get a knife that stays sharp instead of relying on serrations. Not saying this is correct percepetion but it may be part of the cause.
    Plus, at least some of them do not "play well" with serrations. ZDP-189 being a prime example.

    But, overall, as Blake noted, it's simple economics. If the serrated version of a knife sells well, it stays in the lineup, the Police, the various Rescue blades, the entire Salt series, and the various hawkbill and reverse S bladed models prove that. OTOH, if the serrated version of a given model doesn't sell, it gets the axe. Spyderco got stuck having to close out the serrated versions of custom collaborations at a loss so often that they stopped offering serrations on any of them about ten years back.
    Paul
    My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Kiwimania ---- Spydiewiki
    Dead horses beaten, sacred cows tipped, chimeras hunted when time permits.
    WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!

  6. #6
    Spyderco Forum Registered User Donut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Virginia Beach, VA, USA
    Posts
    6,523
    Quote Originally Posted by The Deacon View Post
    Plus, at least some of them do not "play well" with serrations. ZDP-189 being a prime example.

    But, overall, as Blake noted, it's simple economics. If the serrated version of a knife sells well, it stays in the lineup, the Police, the various Rescue blades, the entire Salt series, and the various hawkbill and reverse S bladed models prove that. OTOH, if the serrated version of a given model doesn't sell, it gets the axe. Spyderco got stuck having to close out the serrated versions of custom collaborations at a loss so often that they stopped offering serrations on any of them about ten years back.
    I always thought that ZDP-189 played well with serrations, but ZDP-189 didn't play well with the equipment that grinds the serrations.


    I'm a sucker for FFG and Serrations.

    Really, I adore full serrated models and each time I see a model discontinued I'm a bit saddened, but then I move onto the next new model that is coming.
    -Brian
    A distinguished lurker.
    Chat with us. Sharpthings - A Blog Site

  7. #7
    Spyderco Forum Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    36280
    Posts
    715
    I think knife companies just saw serrated edges as a new market to branch off into to sell more knives. They were first advertised as a means to cut seat belts for law enforcement and Rescue personel. However if you ask most how many times they have had to use a serrated edged knife or seat belt cutter they will laugh in your face. I got on the subject of knives a while back with a Deputy friend of mine and pulled a tap knife out of his shirt pocket like the one in the longest edc rotation thread and said this is all I carry in the way of a knife.Another said he usually uses the buckle because in all the accidents he's worked he has never yet seen a seat belt buckle damaged to the point that it wouldnT work. Serrated edges are something that shouldn't have been made in the first place. Unless on a bread knife.

  8. #8
    Spyderco Forum Registered User xceptnl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Moonshine Country, Virginia
    Posts
    5,449
    Quote Originally Posted by RanCoWeAla View Post
    I think knife companies just saw serrated edges as a new market to branch off into to sell more knives. They were first advertised as a means to cut seat belts for law enforcement and Rescue personel. However if you ask most how many times they have had to use a serrated edged knife or seat belt cutter they will laugh in your face. I got on the subject of knives a while back with a Deputy friend of mine and pulled a tap knife out of his shirt pocket like the one in the longest edc rotation thread and said this is all I carry in the way of a knife.Another said he usually uses the buckle because in all the accidents he's worked he has never yet seen a seat belt buckle damaged to the point that it wouldnT work. Serrated edges are something that shouldn't have been made in the first place. Unless on a bread knife.
    I must argue with you there. Serrated edges have an advantage to Plain edges and it's not all hype or marketing. Edge surface area being increased is just one of the many advantages to SE models. I agree they are not for every situation, but they work well for quite a few.
    My 's:
    Native, Manix 2 (BD1,154CM,S30V,M4,XHP,S110V,Cruwear), Delica 4 (White,Red,Brown,Blue,BRG,G-10), Spyderhawk, D'fly (H1,G-10,SB), Police3, Volpe, Military (S30V,XHP,D2,M390,BG42,440V,Cruwear), Superleafs, Forager, D2 Para, Kopas, Kiwis, Caly (JR's,3,3.5), Para2 (XHP,204P), Stretch (SS,FRN's,CF), Rescues, Dyad Jr, Pingos, Southard, AIR, Jess Horns, Forum N5, Lil Matriarch, Barong, Superhawk, Chinook II, ATR, SPY-DK, Captain, Ti UKPK, Mules

    *Landon*

  9. #9
    Spyderco Forum Registered User Evil D's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Northern KY
    Posts
    9,180
    Quote Originally Posted by RanCoWeAla View Post
    I think knife companies just saw serrated edges as a new market to branch off into to sell more knives. They were first advertised as a means to cut seat belts for law enforcement and Rescue personel. However if you ask most how many times they have had to use a serrated edged knife or seat belt cutter they will laugh in your face. I got on the subject of knives a while back with a Deputy friend of mine and pulled a tap knife out of his shirt pocket like the one in the longest edc rotation thread and said this is all I carry in the way of a knife.Another said he usually uses the buckle because in all the accidents he's worked he has never yet seen a seat belt buckle damaged to the point that it wouldnT work. Serrated edges are something that shouldn't have been made in the first place. Unless on a bread knife.
    You really need to spend some time with a very sharp serrated edge. I don't mean sharp enough to saw through something, I mean every serration push cuts newsprint. That kind of sharpness on serrations is ridiculous. They aren't as versatile, but I definitely wouldn't go so far as to say they never should've been invented. After all, necessity is the mother of invention.

    SHARPEN IT LIKE YOU LOVE IT, USE IT LIKE YOU HATE IT
    ~David

    Official plea to Sal: Can we PLEASE get a DLC Yojimbo 2? PLEASE!!?

  10. #10
    Spyderco Forum Registered User The Deacon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Upstate SC, USA
    Posts
    21,277
    Quote Originally Posted by Donut View Post
    I always thought that ZDP-189 played well with serrations, but ZDP-189 didn't play well with the equipment that grinds the serrations.
    Can't swear that you're wrong because, while I'm sure I read a thread where Sal posted that chipping/breakage of the serration tips was the reason they stopped offering SE ZDP-189, I don't have the patience or the search skills to find the post. Seemed logical at the time, given that one of the reasons offered for laminating ZDP-189 was its relative brittleness.
    Paul
    My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Kiwimania ---- Spydiewiki
    Dead horses beaten, sacred cows tipped, chimeras hunted when time permits.
    WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!

  11. #11
    Spyderco Forum Registered User Donut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Virginia Beach, VA, USA
    Posts
    6,523
    I think also, the lack of people who are willing to learn to sharpen serrations, stops them from buying them.

    Plain edge is like an easy button that people seem to like pressing.
    -Brian
    A distinguished lurker.
    Chat with us. Sharpthings - A Blog Site

  12. #12
    Spyderco Forum Registered User Holland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    Posts
    4,235
    Quote Originally Posted by Donut View Post
    I think also, the lack of people who are willing to learn to sharpen serrations, stops them from buying them.

    Plain edge is like an easy button that people seem to like pressing.
    Im definitely guilty of this haha
    Phil Wilson Smoke Creek s110v, SouthFork, Gayle Bradley, Chaparral 1, Chaparral 2, Native 5, Para2, Para1 SE, Caly 3, Dragonfly 2, Dragonfly 2, Delica 4, Ladybug 3


    -Spencer

  13. #13
    Spyderco Forum Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    244
    Quote Originally Posted by Holland View Post
    Im definitely guilty of this haha
    Me too. Though if I were really into SE I would overcome this.

    I think I would buy more SE if I was willing to carry two knives. But I'm not.
    All God's critters have knives.

  14. #14
    Spyderco Forum Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    836
    Quote Originally Posted by zhyla View Post
    Me too. Though if I were really into SE I would overcome this.

    I think I would buy more SE if I was willing to carry two knives. But I'm not.
    That's why there's the combo edged knives! Sorry to see them go, but less people seem to like them these days, for whatever reason!

  15. #15
    Spyderco Forum Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    244
    Quote Originally Posted by eric m. View Post
    That's why there's the combo edged knives! Sorry to see them go, but less people seem to like them these days, for whatever reason!
    I have a combo manix2 and... I dunno, it just doesn't work out as well as I'd like. I'm tempted to get a SE FFG manix2 when they come out just to serif I can get back into SE.
    All God's critters have knives.

  16. #16
    Spyderco Forum Registered User opusxpn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    South Texas
    Posts
    349
    That would be a shame I like my serrations on certain knives and spyderco makes them right. Good performers easy to sharpen.
    Keep 'em sharpEndura4 (blk all edges, brwn, FG, SB, RG ZDP, blk tac, wave) Salt1 (blk, yllw PE H1)Tasman(yllw SE H1) Pacific salt(blk SE H1) Stretch(ZDP, SB) Delica4(blk CE, wave, SB) Drgfly2(yllw SE H1, org PE,SB PE) Pingo(blk) Cat G10(blk) Centofante3 Ldybg3(FG,SB,Hwk yllw H1, tan H1, blk) Manbug (blk SE, SB) Manix2(Ltw trans blue PE, G10 PE, Ltw dark blue frn) Para2(dig/satin, blk/satin) Military(Cru-Wear) Resilience, Tenacious(blk CE,grn PE), K04 Blk PE, K04 Blue SE, Byrd Robin2 G10

  17. #17
    Spyderco Forum Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    680
    I think you have to account for combo edge vs full serrated edge as well. Combo edges have a noob/worst of both worlds stigma. I don't hate CE, but do prefer SE and PE working in a 2 knife combo and SE being the smaller blade.

  18. #18
    Spyderco Forum Registered User opusxpn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    South Texas
    Posts
    349
    Serrated edges will out cut a plain edge any day. But plain are more versatile and that is why they offer more plain edge than serrated. Its like this, there are many fast cars out there but why do they sale a Ferrari or a Porsche
    Keep 'em sharpEndura4 (blk all edges, brwn, FG, SB, RG ZDP, blk tac, wave) Salt1 (blk, yllw PE H1)Tasman(yllw SE H1) Pacific salt(blk SE H1) Stretch(ZDP, SB) Delica4(blk CE, wave, SB) Drgfly2(yllw SE H1, org PE,SB PE) Pingo(blk) Cat G10(blk) Centofante3 Ldybg3(FG,SB,Hwk yllw H1, tan H1, blk) Manbug (blk SE, SB) Manix2(Ltw trans blue PE, G10 PE, Ltw dark blue frn) Para2(dig/satin, blk/satin) Military(Cru-Wear) Resilience, Tenacious(blk CE,grn PE), K04 Blk PE, K04 Blue SE, Byrd Robin2 G10

  19. #19
    Spyderco Forum Registered User mikerestivo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    1,021
    I like to have at least one serrated knife in my collection. I think that they hold a really sharp cutting edge for a longer time than an equivalent straight edge, and for certain things (like cutting fibrous materials) I think they are more efficient.

  20. #20
    Spyderco Forum Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Craiova,Romania,Europe
    Posts
    259
    I hope not.I love spyderedges and I continue to purchase them.Spyderco Police SS SE is my beloved model.And it seems H1 serrations are great performers

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •