Thread: Who Here on Spyderco Forums is a Fisherman or Fisherwoman?

Spyderco Forum Registered User

Who Here on Spyderco Forums is a Fisherman or Fisherwoman?

Hey everyone,

I was wondering how many forum members are into fishing? Any kind at all, ice, freshwater, saltwater, inshore, deep ocean, rivers, lakes, etc. I have always loved to fish. Probably one of my favorite activities ever. Really it's more addictive to me than just about anything else.

So what I'd like to know is this:

1. Type of fishing you do most often (above examples)

2. Favorite location, be specific as you'd like, but don't give away all the secret spots either

3. The top 3-5 species you catch most often, or the top 3-5 you specifically fish for

4. Any gear preferences, this can be reel types, rod types, brands, lures, line, terminal tackle, anything like that.

5. The person you credit with getting you started in fishing, and any you hope to pass on the hobby to

For me:

1. Freshwater, usually on the Kinnikinnick, Mississippi, or St. Croix rivers, and a few different lakes in this area of Wisconsin

2. The lower part of the Kinnikinnick river. Fished the same 2 mile stretch of this blue ribbon trout stream since I was 10.

3. Bluegill, Largemouth Bass, Brown Trout, Norther Pike, Smallmouth Bass

4. I generally use Shimano spinning reels, Abu Garcia baitcasters, and various brands of rods. I'd estimate about a 50/50 split between live and artificial lures, and I use many different kinds of line, but have been really enjoying florocarbon the last couple years, as I fish clear water often.

5. Definitely my Grandpa Gary!
    Last edited by RealKnifeUser; 03-09-2014 at 10:47 AM. Reason: Move to off-topic please
    "The skeptic does not mean he who doubts, but he who investigates or researches, as opposed to he who asserts and thinks that he has found."
    - Miguel de Unamuno

Military Black G-10 DLC, Byrd Meadowlark 2 G-10, Lil Matriarch, Pacific Salt SE yellow, Endura 4 ffg brown, Native FRN PE, Dragonfly 2 Orange, Ulize, Sharpmaker and UF rods. Also, Cold Steel Voyager XL Clip PE, Kershaw Volt II (on loan), many fixed blades, and a KP strop block.

Spyderco Forum Registered User dtoad's Avatar
    1) Salmon, steelhead, sturgeon, halibut, lingcod, sea bass, crappie, trout

2) Oregon, Alaska

3) Fall chinook, spring chinook, trout

4) custom built 1 piece rods, various lengths, (fav 9'), Abu Garcia reels, Daiwa luna reels. Favorite tackle and technique is the Flat Fish (meat wrapped) and building and casting spinners. Favorite spinner blade, Colorado .

5) Steve Koler, (OR, AK) one of the best salmon steelhead guides and fisherman in the NW. Steve was a good friend of mine and passed away about 6 years ago. I use to help him run fish camps both in Oregon and Alaska, learned everything I know from him, and miss him a ton. Fished the Kenai River for 5 summers in the 90's and have caught a ton of big salmon back in my young adult life. (Largest was 86lbs).
    Fish on!

Spyderco Forum Registered User opusxpn's Avatar
    Love fishing but due to work schedule it's hard to accommodate, but I still do it once in a while.

Local lake: largemouth, crappie, catfish
    Falcon lake:largemouth, gar
    Choke:largemouth
    Amistad:largemouth

Saltwater:trout, reds,flounder
    Port Arkansas
    Baffling bay
    Port mannsfield
    Port lavaca

Most of my gear Abu Garcia with all star rods, lots of plastics, live bait or cut bait, not many hard baits
    Keep 'em sharpEndura4 (blk all edges, brwn, FG, SB, RG ZDP, blk tac, wave) Salt1 (blk, yllw PE H1)Tasman(yllw SE H1) Pacific salt(blk SE H1) Stretch(ZDP, SB) Delica4(blk CE, wave, SB) Drgfly2(yllw SE H1, org PE,SB PE) Pingo(blk) Cat G10(blk) Centofante3 Ldybg3(FG,SB,Hwk yllw H1, tan H1, blk) Manbug (blk SE, SB) Manix2(Ltw trans blue PE, G10 PE, Ltw dark blue frn) Para2(dig/satin, blk/satin) Military(Cru-Wear) Resilience, Tenacious(blk CE,grn PE), K04 Blk PE, K04 Blue SE, Byrd Robin2 G10

Spyderco Forum Registered User 78lilred's Avatar
    Local lakes/farm ponds.
    Largemouth bass, largemouth bass, largemouthbass, and northerns/muskies when in the same lake.
    Daiwa Zillion 50th anni(abec5s)/6'9"MHXF Zillion rod, 7.1 Zillion with type-r spool/Megabass V-flat 6'3" Rod, and abec 5s, Daiwa Tatula(abec 5s)/Fenwick HMG. Then there's a few spinning setups that are used for crappies/bluegill/cats/etc.
    Love fishing soft plastics mostly Lizards/Craws/Senkos but also change up to spinnerbaits/cranks/topwater, notable favorites megabass ti lip z-crank, megabass x-pod jr, sebile spinnerbaits are nice but I'm a bit rough on them. Also a fan of spro little johns + bbz-1s.
    My dad takes credit for getting me started.

I'm aware this is a small fish but it's relevant to this forum as there's a smurf m390 para2 in my pocket.
    M390 Para2, CTS-XHP Para2, CTS-204P Para2, Gayle Bradley, Techno, Bob T Slipit, M390 Mule, Southard, Southfork, Air, Tuff, ZDP Caly 3.5.

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    Heck yeah, thanks for the replies everyone. I'm liking that muskie 78lilred, and the blue Para! I've only caught 1 muskie and have missed every oportunity at any Para 2
    "The skeptic does not mean he who doubts, but he who investigates or researches, as opposed to he who asserts and thinks that he has found."
    - Miguel de Unamuno

Military Black G-10 DLC, Byrd Meadowlark 2 G-10, Lil Matriarch, Pacific Salt SE yellow, Endura 4 ffg brown, Native FRN PE, Dragonfly 2 Orange, Ulize, Sharpmaker and UF rods. Also, Cold Steel Voyager XL Clip PE, Kershaw Volt II (on loan), many fixed blades, and a KP strop block.

This is what gets my juices flowing. Fall chinook from the Oregon coast tide waters that we boated. 65lbs
    Fish on!

Spyderco Forum Registered User Evil D's Avatar
    I enjoy fishing. That doesn't make me a fisherman lol. I honestly get as much enjoyment out of sitting on a bank with my vintage Zebco pulling in bluegills as I do catching the big ones. I just like chillin on the bank reeling things in.

SHARPEN IT LIKE YOU LOVE IT, USE IT LIKE YOU HATE IT
    ~David

Official plea to Sal: Can we PLEASE get a DLC Yojimbo 2? PLEASE!!?

Spyderco Forum Registered User xceptnl's Avatar
    1. I mostly do freshwater pond fishing when my schedule allows (but I am making strides to get back to nature and the outdoors) although I also enjoy trout fishing
    in the local rivers and for the past 10 years I have been surf-fishing with my father-in-law.

2. My favorite spots are local Virginia honey-holes (hidden in the woods), Smith Mountain Lake, Philpott Lake, and saltwater fishing all along the OBX.

3. Normally fish for Largemouth, Striper, Brown Trout, Spanish Mackerel, Bluefish

4. I don't have any super specific equipment I use other than the old Zebco reel that my grandfather used when he was in his teens and twenties.
    All metal internals and externals. It's solid as a tank and I wouldn't take $10,000 for it.

5. My father and grandfather taught me to fish and I also learned saltwater fishing from my father-in-law. I have all hopes of passing
    both lessons to my son (and any future children, boy or girl).

[QUOTE=RealKnifeUser;925438]Hey everyone,

I was wondering how many forum members are into fishing? Any kind at all, ice, freshwater, saltwater, inshore, deep ocean, rivers, lakes, etc. I have always loved to fish. Probably one of my favorite activities ever. Really it's more addictive to me than just about anything else.

So what I'd like to know is this:

1. Type of fishing you do most often (above examples)

2. Favorite location, be specific as you'd like, but don't give away all the secret spots either

3. The top 3-5 species you catch most often, or the top 3-5 you specifically fish for

4. Any gear preferences, this can be reel types, rod types, brands, lures, line, terminal tackle, anything like that.

5. The person you credit with getting you started in fishing, and any you hope to pass on the hobby to/QUOTE]
    My 's:
    Native, Manix 2 (BD1,154CM,S30V,M4,XHP,S110V,Cruwear), Delica 4 (White,Red,Brown,Blue,BRG,G-10), Spyderhawk, D'fly (H1,G-10,SB), Police3, Volpe, Military (S30V,XHP,D2,M390,BG42,440V,Cruwear), Superleafs, Forager, D2 Para, Kopas, Kiwis, Caly (JR's,3,3.5), Para2 (XHP,204P), Stretch (SS,FRN's,CF), Rescues, Dyad Jr, Pingos, Southard, AIR, Jess Horns, Forum N5, Lil Matriarch, Barong, Superhawk, Chinook II, ATR, SPY-DK, Captain, Ti UKPK, Mules

*Landon*

Quote Originally Posted by Evil D View Post
    I enjoy fishing. That doesn't make me a fisherman lol. I honestly get as much enjoyment out of sitting on a bank with my vintage Zebco pulling in bluegills as I do catching the big ones. I just like chillin on the bank reeling things in.
    Me too actually . However, there is something to be said to landing a big fish, I love that challenge, man against fish with light gear....
    Fish on!

Spyderco Forum Registered User xceptnl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 78lilred View Post
    Beauty of a Muskie red. I caught a northern pike about that size via a canoe in the Canadian Boundary Waters. I was 13 and on a 2 week expedition with 14 of my fellow boy scouts. It was a once in a lifetime trip and the memories come to me often. Thanks for the visual that takes me back instantly.
    My 's:
    Native, Manix 2 (BD1,154CM,S30V,M4,XHP,S110V,Cruwear), Delica 4 (White,Red,Brown,Blue,BRG,G-10), Spyderhawk, D'fly (H1,G-10,SB), Police3, Volpe, Military (S30V,XHP,D2,M390,BG42,440V,Cruwear), Superleafs, Forager, D2 Para, Kopas, Kiwis, Caly (JR's,3,3.5), Para2 (XHP,204P), Stretch (SS,FRN's,CF), Rescues, Dyad Jr, Pingos, Southard, AIR, Jess Horns, Forum N5, Lil Matriarch, Barong, Superhawk, Chinook II, ATR, SPY-DK, Captain, Ti UKPK, Mules

*Landon*

Quote Originally Posted by 78lilred View Post
    Local lakes/farm ponds.
    Largemouth bass, largemouth bass, largemouthbass, and northerns/muskies when in the same lake.
    Daiwa Zillion 50th anni(abec5s)/6'9"MHXF Zillion rod, 7.1 Zillion with type-r spool/Megabass V-flat 6'3" Rod, and abec 5s, Daiwa Tatula(abec 5s)/Fenwick HMG. Then there's a few spinning setups that are used for crappies/bluegill/cats/etc.
    Love fishing soft plastics mostly Lizards/Craws/Senkos but also change up to spinnerbaits/cranks/topwater, notable favorites megabass ti lip z-crank, megabass x-pod jr, sebile spinnerbaits are nice but I'm a bit rough on them. Also a fan of spro little johns + bbz-1s.
    My dad takes credit for getting me started.

I'm aware this is a small fish but it's relevant to this forum as there's a smurf m390 para2 in my
    Great picture, nice fish. I have never caught a muskie before, something I would love to try....
    Fish on!

Spyderco Forum Registered User Evil D's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dtoad View Post
    Me too actually . However, there is something to be said to landing a big fish, I love that challenge, man against fish with light gear....
    Hands down the most exciting catch of my life was about a 20lb channel cat...nothing to set records with, but I caught it by accident on that old Zebco, which had the smallest hook I've ever seen, on 6lb line that was on the reel when I bought it so it was probably 20 years old at least, and the rod it's on is only about 5 feet long and is also super old (don't recall the brand off hand) so nothing I was using was up to the task of catching a 20lb fish, and the entire time I was waiting for either the line to break or the tiny hook to come out, but I managed to get him in.

SHARPEN IT LIKE YOU LOVE IT, USE IT LIKE YOU HATE IT
    ~David

Official plea to Sal: Can we PLEASE get a DLC Yojimbo 2? PLEASE!!?

Spyderco Forum Registered User LC Kid's Avatar

Thumbs up Let's Go Fishing!

Hi Mr RealKnifeUser!

I'm big time fisherman. Is my most beloved hobby and I've been fishing since I can remember.

1. Both fresh & salt water.

2. Upper East Coast mostly, Mississipi River. And Amazonas, Rio Negro and Orinoco rivers for the Peacock Bass.

3. Usually I go off shore, trying to catch some Big Tuna or looking for a huge Fluke, which might be my favorite sea water catch. Large and Small Mouth Bass are very high on my list. But definitely my most prized catch is the Amazonian Big Peacock Bass, simply the best catch you'll ever have.

4. Shimano Rods and BaitCasters (Curados) are simply the best. Abu Garcia are very nice too. 80%-20% artificial over live lures. Regarding lines I've used anything that I could find, but certainly Monofilament and Fluorocarbons mostly.

5. My father, and once I began I usually fish with my brother too.
    Stay Sharp!