Spyderco Forum Registered User defenestrate's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jalcon View Post
    Should have made 1500 or so ladybugs
    ladybug serrated hawkbills?
    I don't get mad. I get..Stabby.
    -Fat Tony

Spyderco Forum Registered User defenestrate's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Donut View Post
    Heck, now that we're laminating and mixing steels, instead of S90V and 154, why not S110V and M4?
    You had me at M4.

Also, this is a good example of a steel that a Mule Team Folder might get optimal coverage on, but we'd have to have a fistfight over what platform was best. Something like an UKPK is legal in many places. I think a titanium ATR should work for a cool frame. And, oh wait, we are paying for this, right?so MSRP around 50 bucks a month with new steels coming out every month. And what did you say, Sal? We can travel time with this steel? Or it at least doesn't violate the space time continuum in any way? I'm on board.

This sounds like a pride piece to me. And it illustrates to the industry-literate that particle metallurgy is not quite Alchemy, just Very Good Very Expensive And Time Consuming Metallurgy, or VGVEATCM. Only 8 letters. I think it could catch on.
    I don't get mad. I get..Stabby.
    -Fat Tony

Spyderco Forum Registered User IG-88's Avatar
    Looks like getting the S90V right in the middle is a tough job. The cladding can be seen clearly. I hope to see more knives in ths steel.

Current EDC: Techno, Squeak, Southard Flipper, Caly 3.5

New Arrivals: Chap3, Domino, Sage 3

2014 Wishlist: Yo2 CF, Deviant Friction, Tatanka, Tusk, Firefly

Oldies Wishlist: Delica CF PE, Civilian CF PE

Spyderco Forum Registered User xceptnl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by IG-88 View Post
    Is it just my tired eyes, or does the tang etching on these look different to the normal production models?
    My 's:
    Native, Manix 2 (BD1,154CM,S30V,M4,XHP,S110V,Cruwear), Delica 4 (White,Red,Brown,Blue,BRG,G-10), Spyderhawk, D'fly (H1,G-10,SB), Police3, Volpe, Military (S30V,XHP,D2,M390,BG42,440V,Cruwear), Superleafs, Forager, D2 Para, Kopas, Kiwis, Caly (JR's,3,3.5), Para2 (XHP,204P), Stretch (SS,FRN's,CF), Rescues, Dyad Jr, Pingos, Southard, AIR, Jess Horns, Forum N5, Lil Matriarch, Barong, Superhawk, Chinook II, ATR, SPY-DK, Captain, Ti UKPK, Mules

*Landon*

Spyderco Forum Registered User IG-88's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by xceptnl View Post
    Is it just my tired eyes, or does the tang etching on these look different to the normal production models?
    The riscasso is more tilted then the other PMs, it comes further in the hole.
    Current EDC: Techno, Squeak, Southard Flipper, Caly 3.5

New Arrivals: Chap3, Domino, Sage 3

2014 Wishlist: Yo2 CF, Deviant Friction, Tatanka, Tusk, Firefly

Oldies Wishlist: Delica CF PE, Civilian CF PE

Spyderco Forum Registered User JNewell's Avatar
    No CC number, like some of the eBay pics...

Though not centered, the line is much more uniform than on the Caly3 ZDP-189 knives I've handled. Wonder why - different process?

Looks like getting the S90V right in the middle is a tough job. The cladding can be seen clearly. I hope to see more knives in ths steel.

Quote Originally Posted by Ankerson View Post
    That's actually CPM 154, not the 154CM.
    The 2013 thread went back and forth on that, if I recall correctly. I guess the blade markings and Edge-U-Cation sheet answer the question, though.

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    I am happy buy One on Ebay at MRSP

Quote Originally Posted by defenestrate View Post
    You had me at M4.

Also, this is a good example of a steel that a Mule Team Folder might get optimal coverage on, but we'd have to have a fistfight over what platform was best. Something like an UKPK is legal in many places. I think a titanium ATR should work for a cool frame. And, oh wait, we are paying for this, right?so MSRP around 50 bucks a month with new steels coming out every month. And what did you say, Sal? We can travel time with this steel? Or it at least doesn't violate the space time continuum in any way? I'm on board.

This sounds like a pride piece to me. And it illustrates to the industry-literate that particle metallurgy is not quite Alchemy, just Very Good Very Expensive And Time Consuming Metallurgy, or VGVEATCM. Only 8 letters. I think it could catch on.
    Haha, I'd like one with a GPS chip in case I lose it and gyroscope so it won't land edge up if I drop it. And, oh yes, I've always wanted a jewelers loupe mounted in the butt, with shock absorbers or course, so I could baton without worries
    MY SPYDIE LIST (on profile page)
    Want List: New Stretch prototype Coyote G-10 slab/ZDP test sprint!

After watching Jim's NG Japanese sword video, I'm holding out for the hand-forged and -polished version that takes 9 months from melt to polish.

And a small charge of bear spray would be handy in case defenestration is not possible

Back on topic...looking at the pics on eBay, I see one box with a KM (11/13) date code and another with a BN (2/14) date code. Those seem surprising far apart for such a small run of knives.

Spyderco Forum Registered User nirvanero's Avatar
    Two polemic releases out of three S90V knives... I guess this really bad centering is part of the "experiment" with new processes but as I don't see the advantages of cladding S90V with CPM154 on a folder I'm hopping Spyderco focus its resources in more exciting (and available) releases.

Spyderco Forum Registered User bh49's Avatar
    I can be wrong, but it seems to me that the most value of the steel that this clad is the result of the brand new process, which is not perfect like any new processes and will see improvements like better S90V centering. But is this case visual imperfection is an evidence of "new".
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"
    George Orwell
    Any knife without Spyderhole is defective.
    My top choices Native5, G10/VG10 Caly 3.5/3 & C83 Persian Black micarta/bolsters

Spyderco Forum Registered User Clip's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bh49 View Post
    I can be wrong, but it seems to me that the most value of the steel that this clad is the result of the brand new process, which is not perfect like any new processes and will see improvements like better S90V centering. But is this case visual imperfection is an evidence of "new".
    Agreed Roman. To me this release bears the same significance as Spyderco's first foray into Super Blue with the Caly 3.5. This is the main reason I'm lusting for one.
    Click here to zoom: Under the Microscope

Manix2, Elmax MT13, M4 Manix2, ZDP Caly3, ZDP Caly Jr, SB Caly3.5, M390 Para2, Cruwear MT12, Techno, XHP MT16, South Fork, SB Caly3, Manix2 Ltwt, Salt I, 20CP Para2, Military Left Hand, Perrin PPT, Forum Native5, Squeak, Manix 83mm, 440V Military, Gayle Bradley, Swick3, Lil' Temperance, Cruwear Military, VG10 Jester, Terzuola SlipIt, XHP Native Ltwt, Domino, CPM154/S90V Para2, SB Stretch, D2 Para, Dfly2 Salt, Tasman Salt

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by JNewell View Post
    Back on topic...looking at the pics on eBay, I see one box with a KM (11/13) date code and another with a BN (2/14) date code. Those seem surprising far apart for such a small run of knives.
    This seems to support the idea that it was indeed an experimental run to straighten out any kinks, and that maybe there were a couple -- hard to imagine something new like this without things having to be worked out.

And I agree with Roman and Chris. I think good things will come of this.

Spyderco Forum Registered User All-R-Crazy's Avatar
    I can't wait to see what Spyderco will come up with next using this process.
    delica ffg,endura ffg,pm2 black/black,delica sb,caly3.5 g10,caly3 sb,S90V military

Quote Originally Posted by JAfromMN
    My favorite Spyderco is the one that I used the most Today

Spyderco Forum Registered User Clip's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by All-R-Crazy View Post
    I can't wait to see what Spyderco will come up with next using this process.
    Hopefully it'll be another knife
    Click here to zoom: Under the Microscope

Manix2, Elmax MT13, M4 Manix2, ZDP Caly3, ZDP Caly Jr, SB Caly3.5, M390 Para2, Cruwear MT12, Techno, XHP MT16, South Fork, SB Caly3, Manix2 Ltwt, Salt I, 20CP Para2, Military Left Hand, Perrin PPT, Forum Native5, Squeak, Manix 83mm, 440V Military, Gayle Bradley, Swick3, Lil' Temperance, Cruwear Military, VG10 Jester, Terzuola SlipIt, XHP Native Ltwt, Domino, CPM154/S90V Para2, SB Stretch, D2 Para, Dfly2 Salt, Tasman Salt

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by DougC-3 View Post
    This seems to support the idea that it was indeed an experimental run to straighten out any kinks, and that maybe there were a couple -- hard to imagine something new like this without things having to be worked out.

And I agree with Roman and Chris. I think good things will come of this.
    Unfortunately most of the auctions don't have pictures of the box end, but it would be interesting to know whether the accuracy and evenness of the core/cladding lines correlates to early vs. late production.

I'd like to see a lot of knife and box end pics on Chris's thread, but that's probably not too likely.

I know zip about knife manufactory, but one question would be whether the centering is determined when the steel is rolled or when it's machined into blades.