Thread: Just Returned a Techno

Spyderco Forum Registered User

Just Returned a Techno

Really surprising one right here....

Just came in, Ive never had a Titanium handled knife or a frame lock, I could tell right out of the box it wasnt for me. And for the money it definitely wasnt a fit for me. Just didnt feel right in my hand.

All that being said, if you love titanium and want a small amazing quality pick this knife up! Just a little small for me.

Again, if you want a killer knife on par with customs buy this knife, if you really do prefer larger knives this one might not be for you. So glad I tried it out though, ive been wondering about this one for a long time now.....

Kinda a weird review in a sense I guess...
    Next Spyderco: Worker Sprint, Lightweight Manix 2 S110V

Spyderco Forum Registered User gbelleh's Avatar
    Well at least now you learned something about your preferences. And there's the new Bowie model that will be coming out, if larger is what you want.
    My New Gear Review YouTube Channel

Latest Spydies: Lum Tanto FB Sprint, Green CTS-204P Para 2, K390 Mule, 2013 Forum Native 5, Domino, Blue G-10 Lava, Cruwear Military, Swick 3, Jot Singh Khalsa sprint, Hungarian Folder, CF S90V Manix 2 XL, Fluted Ti Military, Fluted Ti Native 5, Nilakka, Brown XHP Native, Equilibrium, Street Bowie, Lil Matriarch, Cat

Quote Originally Posted by gbelleh View Post
    Well at least now you learned something about your preferences. And there's the new Bowie model that will be coming out, if larger is what you want.
    Yup I'm definitely looking forward to that.

For clarification. This thread is not a spyderco bash in any way. Only my preferences said. If you want a small knife buy this knife.
    Next Spyderco: Worker Sprint, Lightweight Manix 2 S110V

Spyderco Forum Registered User RadioactiveSpyder's Avatar
    I had a similar reaction initially to it, but after about two weeks it finally broke in right I guess and now it's one of my favorites. It was a creeper hit with me, which was unlike my experience with nearly every other Spydie I have. Several that I just didn't warm up to (like the Meerkat) were gifted off to very appreciative recipients! It vies for one of the smoothest action mechanical instruments I've ever touched, it grows on you immensely! My two cents at least... Cheers, Paul
    It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. Stephen King

I tried the techno several months ago and it wasn't for me either. Too small and "blocky". It was just a really poor fit for my hand. I do however own the military in full titanium and that, my friend, is and amazing knife! I know you kind of lean towards larger knives so if you want the ti experience you can get that and get your first Millie at the same time. Mine is truly a flawless knife!

They can be a bit hard to find, but I have seen a few nib and LNIB show up on the bf exchange recently for $180-200.

Spyderco Forum Registered User hunterseeker5's Avatar
    I think part of the problem people have with the Techno is that they, mistakenly, think its for a hammer grip. It clearly is not. While its not super uncomfortable in a hammer grip, it certainly doesn't seem like a fit. By all outward appearances, the knife was designed for a pinch grip. When you grab it with a pinch grip, suddenly the gears in the backspacer grab the palm of your hand, the rounded top fits under your index finger, the clip is out of the way, your fingers line up in the contours, etc. It just fits.

Not everyone is experienced or patient enough to realize this though. I discovered it by accident, because when I "intentionally" gripped the knife it didn't really work for me, but when I stopped thinking about it, just pulled it out of my pocket, cut something, and returned it to my pocket, I realized how I was gripping it and why it works like that.

First I tried to show you with a partially open hand how your fingers fit and how the geared backspacer totally makes sense with a pinch grip:

And then the full pinch grip:

You can also see that, if you like putting a finger on the spine of the blade during cutting (I do on occasion, but not as often as Sal seems to) the contour is perfect for that as well.

Its an odd duck the Techno, but I learned to love it.

Spyderco Forum Registered User senorsquare's Avatar
    That's why they make so many models. I happen to love the Techno and it is probably my favorite knife. On the other hand, the Caly 3/3.5 is probably the most recommended knife on this forum and I tried more than once to like that knife but it never clicked with me. That's part of what makes this such a fascinating obsession.

Spyderco Forum Registered User StuntZombie's Avatar
    swigert,

I know how that goes. I put mine up for sale the same day I got it, changed my mind and carried and used it for a few more months. I ultimately decided it wasn't for me, and sold it off. Sometimes it just takes longer to realize something isn't for us.

hunterseeker5,

I think the Leafstorm is another knife that folks may be holding wrong. I see alot of complaints about how close your fingers are to the edge, but then I look at the handle, and it seems like it was shaped perfectly for the index and middle fingers.
    Chris

I have a blog! http://stuntzombies.blogspot.com/

The sole member of the anti-jimping club.

Spyderco Forum Registered User flipe8's Avatar

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by hunterseeker5 View Post
    I think part of the problem people have with the Techno is that they, mistakenly, think its for a hammer grip. It clearly is not. While its not super uncomfortable in a hammer grip, it certainly doesn't seem like a fit. By all outward appearances, the knife was designed for a pinch grip. When you grab it with a pinch grip, suddenly the gears in the backspacer grab the palm of your hand, the rounded top fits under your index finger, the clip is out of the way, your fingers line up in the contours, etc. It just fits.

Not everyone is experienced or patient enough to realize this though. I discovered it by accident, because when I "intentionally" gripped the knife it didn't really work for me, but when I stopped thinking about it, just pulled it out of my pocket, cut something, and returned it to my pocket, I realized how I was gripping it and why it works like that.

First I tried to show you with a partially open hand how your fingers fit and how the geared backspacer totally makes sense with a pinch grip:

And then the full pinch grip:

You can also see that, if you like putting a finger on the spine of the blade during cutting (I do on occasion, but not as often as Sal seems to) the contour is perfect for that as well.

Its an odd duck the Techno, but I learned to love it.
    Great pics and explanation. That's exactly how I hold mine for most cuts and find it both very solid and comfortable. Like others have stated, it's not for everyone and variety is the spice of life. The great thing about Spyderco is that there's always an amazing selection of different models to try out!
    Big time gear snob
    Salt 1
    SFKW sugilite Kiwi
    Techo!
    Byrd Cara Cara II FRN(lives in bunker gear)
    Far too many sold...

Trusting my own experience

Spyderco Forum Registered User bh49's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by swigert View Post
    Really surprising one right here....
    Just came in, Ive never had a Titanium handled knife or a frame lock, I could tell right out of the box it wasnt for me.
    Kinda a weird review in a sense I guess...
    Nothing weird for me. I am not a fan of frame-locks and Titanium is one of my least favorite handle materials. In addition to this I do not like Techno for couple reasons.
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"
    George Orwell
    Any knife without Spyderhole is defective.
    My top choices Native5, G10/VG10 Caly 3.5/3 & C83 Persian Black micarta/bolsters

I don't like, frame locks, Ti scales, thick or stonewashed blades but I do like small Spydercos so I gave it a try and I love it. My hand just fits in a regular grip with my thumb comfortably on that wide blade spine.

I remove the clips from small knives and carry them in the watch pocket. All of them feel more comfortable without a clip, the Techno is the most dramatic improvement in comfort I've found. It went from an okay grip to an excellent grip.

Thank goodness Spyderco makes so many unusual designs. Something for everyone.