Thread: "As Seen On TV" Products: Reality vs Marketing ?

Spyderco Forum Registered User SpyderEdgeForever's Avatar

"As Seen On TV" Products: Reality vs Marketing ?

I saw this advertisement for this "magic chop" machine here:

http://www.buychopmagic.com/

And I was thinking about the various "As seen on tv products" over the years. Some of them work, and I am sure even this one has uses, but, what are some of the pros and cons?

First of all, the steel is probably very low-grade/cheapo quality, and won't hold up to extended use, you think?

Now, what if a company in Germany or Sweden or Japan or the USA produced this with truly quality cutting edges and materials and quality, it would be more expensive but worth it?

Anyone here ever had a real Ginsu Knife? Ginsu did start making sporting and hunting knives, too:

Here is a folder:

http://www.ninjachefsknives.com/375d...ntfoldingknife

They say it is multiple layers of "damascus steel"

What I have noticed with some of these "as seen on tv" knives...the blades have these serrations that are essentially un-resharpenable, unlike a true Spyder Edge which is designed to be re sharpened with proper equipment, these ones become dull as do all edges over time and use, and they rip and tear instead of cut and slice properly.

Example of this kind of edge: "Faberware Never needs Resharpening" knives. Type that in and take a look at the serrations. How would you re sharpen those?

Spyderco Forum Registered User Evil D's Avatar
    I've tried a few, with varying success. The Sham Wow is a POS. If you go to Walmart and buy any of the car drying towels that come in a plastic tube, that's the type of product that Sham Wow was supposed to be, and they cost about $6. I bought this thing designed for cleaning the inside of a car windshield, it was sort of like an ice scraper with a micro fiber pad at the end...that thing is FANTASTIC, simply because it's a PITA to reach that inverted glass in the middle. We had Ginsu knives when I was a kid...Ginsu is sometimes credited as being the product that spawned the entire infomercial craze. They weren't horrible knives, and those tiny serrations would cut forever if you just used them for kitchen work, but you could forget about every being able to sharpen them.

SHARPEN IT LIKE YOU LOVE IT, USE IT LIKE YOU HATE IT
    ~David

Official plea to Sal: Can we PLEASE get a DLC Yojimbo 2? PLEASE!!?

Spyderco Forum Registered User Monocrom's Avatar
    I've tried a few of those products. I'd say 99% of them are either absolute crap or interesting novelties, at best.
    "The World is insane, with small pockets of sanity here & there. Not the other way around."

-John Cleese-

Spyderco Forum Registered User shunsui's Avatar
    Google is your friend. A quick search usually gives you better info than the commercial.

Spyderco Forum Registered User kbuzbee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Monocrom View Post
    I'd say 99% of them are absolute crap 1% are interesting novelties, at best.
    FTFY

Ken
    玉鋼

Spyderco Forum Registered User Evil D's Avatar
    For what it's worth those synthetic chamois are amazing. They work much better than real leather chamois and need way less maintenance.

SHARPEN IT LIKE YOU LOVE IT, USE IT LIKE YOU HATE IT
    ~David

Official plea to Sal: Can we PLEASE get a DLC Yojimbo 2? PLEASE!!?