Thread: Blade Show

Spyderco Forum Registered User Revival's Avatar

Blade Show

Ok so I am hoping to make a trip out to this years Blade Show. This will be my first experience so I dont know what to expect. I would never fly to a different state for this type of event but I want to experience it first hand.

I am hoping to meet Sal and the gang and hopefully some of you. How many of you are planning to go? For those of you that have been to it, what can I expect?

This is a big deal to me so tell me everything I need to know. Feel free to share your experiences. Any tips or advice is appreciated. Thanks.
    Last edited by Revival; 02-20-2014 at 04:03 AM.

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    I'll be at Blade. I went to my first Blade Show in 2002 and have gone every year since.
    What you can expect, your first time, is to be totally overwhelmed. Have a plan for what you want to see and then take your time and see the rest.
    Wear comfortable shoes and bring lots of cash -- far more knifemakers take credit cards these days, than they did 10 years ago, but cash is still king. Bottled water is good too, because looking at all those knives is thirsty work. And bring lots of cash, at least twice what you think you're going to spend.
    Keep an eye on the forums, starting around the middle of May. Spyderco and some of the dealers will be giving away VIP passes. You definitely want one of them.
    And, did I mention, bring lots of cash?

Spyderco Forum Registered User phillipsted's Avatar
    I'll be there as well. Great show. A couple of pointers:

1. I would recommend getting the early-admission ticket so you can get in Friday at noon. The line to get in that first day can get kind of long - but once the doors open, everybody just streams inside and things move quickly.

2. Reserve a hotel room now. They seem to sell out quickly in the vicinity of the Cobb Center. You can always cancel the reservation later if your plans change...

3. Bring a rolling backpack or something to carry literature, supplies, etc. in. If you bring a shoulder-carried bag, you'll end up weighted down with a sore shoulder by the end of the day.

4. I tend to go straight to the material supplier tables the first day. This way you can get the pick-of-the-litter on scales, steel, supplies etc. They get picked over by Sun.

5. The Spyderco table is on your left in the corner when you go in (I assume they'll be there again this year). They have a very tasty cabinet against the wall with prototypes and other one-offs. No pictures allowed! But Eric, Joyce, and the crew are happy to chat with you and let you fondle the knives. Lots and lots and lots of fun.

6. Wear comfortable shoes!

TedP

Spyderco Forum Registered User SpyderEdgeForever's Avatar
    I don't know if anyone has done this but why not have a "Spyderco Forum Meet" there at the Blade Show, where anyone from the forum who attends can hang out and have Spyderco discussions? I am sure Spyderco has a booth ready, too, for their company.

I made it last year but don't know about this year. It's hard to explain because it's out of this world. You will get to see and handle lots of knives that you maybe have only seen in magazines and may never see again. Be prepared for heavy traffic and large crowds.

Awesome info! I can't wait! How many people usually attend this show within the 2-3 days? Is it Friday through Sunday or just Friday and Saturday?

The Blade Show runs Friday thru Sunday, but Sunday is a very light half day. Saturday is the busiest. The closer you stay to the Cobb Galleria Center the better. Staying in the Waverly Renaissance which is physically attached to the Galleria Center is the best. Everyone hangs out in the huge atrium lobby at the Waverly at night after dinner. That's prime time to meet other knife enthusiats, manufacturers, designers, and custom makers. The next best place after the Waverly is the Sheraton Suites Galleria. They're located across Cobb Pkwy from the Galleria Center and their parking deck connects to the parking lot of Cumberland Mall. The Cumberland Mall parking lot (and hence the Sheraton Galleria) is connected to the Galleria Center by a sky walk, so you wouldn't have to drive and fight traffic before the show. If you stay at one of those places just catch their shuttle to and from the airport and you won't need a rental car. You're going to lose 5 hours on time zone change plus flight time getting out here to the east coast. My advice would be to get in early Thursday afternoon so you can rest and then socialize Thursday night. If you can only get a flight that gets you into Atlanta Thursday night that's okay too because you can sleep in late before the show opens Friday at noon for the early birds and VIPs, or 1400 for everyone else.

Get the early bird ticket that gets you in at noon on Friday. The three day pass is $35, and the Early Bird ticket is $25 added to that and it's absolutely worth it. The cost of admission to the show is the smallest expense of attendance. The advice on a small rolling cart or rolling back pack is spot on. It's hot in Georgia in the summer, and with all the people at the show the exhibition hall gets hot. Think heat and humidity like you're used to in Hawaii, but no ocean breeze to cool you off. Dress appropriately. On the bright side, Georgia is extremely knife friendly. Other than on a school campus, you can carry any knife with a blade length up to 5 inches. With a Georgia weapons carry permit (or equivalent permit from any state with which we have reciprocity) there are no restrictions.

Shoes are critical because the exhibition hall has only a thin industrial carpet laid down over bare concrete. Wear some cushy running or walking shoes, and bring two pair: It takes 24 hours for shoe midsoles to fully decompress after a long run or a full day walking. If you need a second pair of athletic shoes now is the time to buy them. The shoe companies started shipping their 2014 models a few weeks ago, so the 2013 models are getting closed out by the big retailers.

As for the show itself, it's incredible. It's the largest knife show in the world. If you can make it, it's a great experience. If you're going to fly all the way from Hawaii to come see us in Georgia get the three day pass so you can experience as much as possible. I'll be volunteering at the Knife Rights booth all three days (well, all four days if I can get out of work early enough Thursday and help them set up). The KR booth is on the right as you walk in, right beside the chaos that's the Busse Knives booth. Come see me and the great folks who are getting the archaic knife laws repealed across the US.

Wow so much important info! I appreciate it everyone. And just to clarify, I would be flying in from Vegas. I am from Hawaii but now live in Vegas. 9th island = Vegas. I can't wait!

Spyderco Forum Registered User Pinetreebbs's Avatar
    I was luck enough to go the last few years, it's a great experience. Others have already posted some good advice. Rooms do sell out quickly (already?) in the Waverly, but there are several good hotels close by. Google and or Expedia or you choice of booking sites are your best bet.
    Have you joined Knife Rights yet? Go to: www.KnifeRights.org
    Protecting your Right to own and carry the knives YOU choose.

Spyderco Forum Registered User SpyderNut's Avatar
    My wife and I are planning on going this year, which will be our first BLADE Show. (I tried to make it down last year, but my work/schedule interferred ). I think we'll be there on Saturday for most of the day. Hopefully I'll bump into some of you down there. Definitely looking forward to seeing Sal and the Spydie Gang again too!
    Michael

Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

I'm lucky my Daughter lives about 45 minutes away