Thread: interesting sales call (knife related)

Spyderco Forum Registered User

interesting sales call (knife related)

Was making sales calls in Jacksonville, AL and stumbled upon Alabama Damascus (http://www.alabamadamascussteel.com/servlet/StoreFront)

I recognized the name from the back of knife magazines in the advert section. Was smaller than I expected but my expectations were probably wrong. Met the owner, Brad, and got the nickel tour. Really interesting and basically they had 4 billets in the kiln and one guy holding a red hot billet while another used a hydraulic press to form it. I got to see a Kershaw Leek that had his steel (he said Knife Works sells them) and an Esee Izula. Thought it might be worth sharing.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Donut's Avatar
    I think ESEE is based out of Alabama or near there, so that makes sense.
    -Brian
    A distinguished lurker.
    Chat with us. Sharpthings - A Blog Site

Interesting, I actually have a couple of Damascus Izula's, didn't know what type of damascus they used.
    Which Knife, A or B? get Both! (and C, D and E)

how is the edge on those Izulas? The owner said to me that dull Damascus will out cut a lot of sharp other steel

I've not done any sort of scientific comparison, nor even done a terribly lot of cutting - mainly whittling, where it seemed normal. I'd be pretty surprised if that claim held up though, sounds like he thinks it should act like micro-serrations or something? The Damascus Spyderco uses has a VG10 core, but I'm not sure on this Alabama Damascus, their website makes it sound like theirs is 52100, 5160, 203E and 15N20, so maybe not just a regular core.

Hmmm, maybe I'll have to derive some sort of test to compare it to my regular (1095) Izulas, that would be a pleasant surprise if there was an actual cutting performance benefit, I just assumed it was only cosmetic.

rodloos, There's a Damascus blades thread in Non-Firearm Weapons over on THR where a member there has experienced exactly what you theorized with a Damascus blade Case Peanut. To wit:
    Quote Originally Posted by Carl Levitian on THR
    I don't know good damascus from bad damascus, and always stayed away from the stuff, thinking it was just tinsel to charge more for a blade. I think I was wrong.

About three years ago, I was gifted a Case Peanut with damascus blades supposed to made by Devon Thomas. The person gifting it to me, knew that I loved Case, and preferred a small jack for edc use. In the past three years I've come to have a feeling that it just may be worth the added price.

Now, like I said, I never had a damascus knife, so I had no mile stone to go by. BUt so far I think it's weird stuff. But weird in a good way. If Mr. Thomas is any guide, I now know what you get with a good damascus. It cuts great, but toothy. When I sharpen it, it gets a wicked, grabby kind of edge, and holds it for a very good amount of time. Even when it's lost it's razor edge, and own't shave arm hair anymore or cut news print, it will still go though fibrous materials like rope and twine. If I continue to use it without sharpening, it will still saw through material and still has a toothy feel to the edge. Weird.

Having a couple of other Case peanuts to com are it to, one in CV and the other in Case's stainless that they call true sharp, it easily out perfumes both. Down side is, it's weird to resharpen. It seems a bit gummy on the stone, and stropping the burr off seems to take a bit longer.

Ref - http://www.thehighroad.org/showpost....60&postcount=4

Quote Originally Posted by ugaarguy View Post
    rodloos, There's a Damascus blades thread in Non-Firearm Weapons over on THR where a member there has experienced exactly what you theorized with a Damascus blade Case Peanut. To wit:
    Thanks, that's good to know. I have a USB microscope somewhere around here, I guess I need to go examine the edges a bit .

I may browse THR some too, I've never been there, sounds decent!