Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22

Thread: I'm looking for a FRIENDLY gun forum.

  1. #1
    Spyderco Forum Registered User Gunslinger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Missouri USA Earth
    Posts
    855

    I'm looking for a FRIENDLY gun forum.

    I have been going to a gun forum that will remain unnamed because of shiny footprints and it's full of D-bags. Every innocent comment gets some know it all telling you how your wrong, and the brand bashing never stops. So, I'm hoping there's a decent gun forum where everyone gets along.

    I guess I'm spoiled by Spyderco forums because this place has the coolest people on it. Everyone seems to get along for the most part, and the troublemakers don't stick around for long. Not to mention it's based around the coolest company.

  2. #2
    Spyderco Forum Registered User wrdwrght's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    628
    If I understand it correctly, The High Road spun off of The Firing Line for reasons of civility. I lurk on THR and have found the place (where different brand devotees mix) to be relatively respectful, but it still has its caliber wars and best bear gun declarations...
    Marc

    USUAL CARRY: Air/Techno plus one from Manix/Native/Para/Caly/Stretch series. RECENT ARRIVAL: Cruwear Manix2. ON MY RADAR: CF S110V Native5 (pre-ordered); VG10 Caly 3.5. HOLY GRAILS: Superhawk; Manix (C95 FFG PE); S90V Manix2 (C101 "Mini" or 80mm). DREAMS: Tatanka (the long-awaited Bison!); Sage5.

  3. #3
    Spyderco Forum Registered User gbelleh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    3,627
    It's been a while since I've been very active in the gun forums. But The High Road was usually my favorite place to visit for general gun discussion. There are some pretty nice brand specific forums too, depending on what you're into.
    My New Gear Review YouTube Channel

    Latest Spydies: Lum Tanto FB Sprint, Green CTS-204P Para 2, K390 Mule, 2013 Forum Native 5, Domino, Blue G-10 Lava, Cruwear Military, Swick 3, Jot Singh Khalsa sprint, Hungarian Folder, CF S90V Manix 2 XL, Fluted Ti Military, Fluted Ti Native 5, Nilakka, Brown XHP Native, Equilibrium, Street Bowie, Lil Matriarch, Cat

  4. #4
    Spyderco Forum Registered User JBE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    1,521
    A co-worker of mine frequents a forum called "The Gun Counter" and he speaks positively of it.

    I have lurked there from time to time and my impression is that most of the members are pretty affable, however it does not appear to be a very high-traffic site.
    Jason

  5. #5
    Spyderco Forum Registered User chuckd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    159
    I have mostly stopped going to gunforums for that same reason. Snipershide can be good, but I did not spend too much time on it before coming here and bladeforums and leaving gun forums behind.
    My collection:
    Ladybug2, Rescue 79mm, Salt1 edge, Meerkat Droppoint, Mariner, Kiwi jigbone, Kopa Blackquince, UK pk PE, Embassy PE, Schempp Tuff, Vallotton Sub-Hilt, Schempp Rock, Manix 2 XL, Tenacious, Byrd Finch, Techno, Puukko, Cricket SS PE, Military Digi-Camo, Tasman Salt, Delica Foliage Green, Breeden Rescue, Lionspy, Bushcraft, Kiwi3, Paramilitary2, Lum Tanto, Kopa MOP/Abalone, Southard, Endura Damascus Sprint, Meerkat Burgandy Sprint.

    Spydernation #1990

  6. #6
    Spyderco Forum Registered User Revival's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    The 9th Island
    Posts
    455
    Sorry OP, I don't think a "friendly" gun forum exists. The closest thing to it in my experience was the S&W forum. Actually the EDC forums is not bad also. All these other forums consists of 1911 vs "plastic guns", 9mm vs 45 cal, CC cary vs open cary etc and there is always the "buy a glock" guy on every forum.

  7. #7
    Spyderco Forum Registered User Rwb1500's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    1,125
    Sometimes I don't think gun forums should be friendly. Let me try to explain why.

    Guns are exceptionally dangerous. Owning and carrying guns is exceptionally dangerous especially from a legal standpoint. I own and carry guns, don't get me wrong. The problem is that some people think owning/carrying/shooting guns is just a blimeig video game, you can screw around with, bend the rules, etc.

    There's a lawyer on a gun forum I frequent who once said something to the effect of "The legal system is a big ****ing hammer waiting to crush gun owners for any and everything."

    What he means is that gun owners are no longer seen as the good guys, look in the media, look at Zimmerman, etc. Every little thing is a invitation for criticism, or worse. That being said all gun owners must then act above bar. Of course not all do. The world is full of idiots and they have the right to keep and bear arms, like it or not. These people also have access to the internet.

    Basically what I'm trying to say is that there are stupid people all around us, they just tend to get weeded out faster on gun forums, and I'm not so sure that's a bad thing.

    Arguments on gun forums usually consist of two parties, a right one and a wrong one. The argument itself is important to note, because some have no real consequence on anything whatsoever. When it comes down to it it doesn't really matter if an Aimpoint or an Eotech is better. It's completely relative. People that get excited about arguments like that are idiots, because it's simply a matter of opinion.

    There's another type of argument that goes on, I call this the uninformed and don't care argument." I use .22 lr for self defense because if you shoot someone it'll bounce around in their body and do lots of damage." ------ If you say something like this on a gun forum I think you should be corrected. I won't even get started on how bad of an idea it is to carry .22 and think it's a viable caliber for defense, let's just talk about bullets bouncing around your body. Ever seen how a bullet flies? Ever see one pass through ballistic media?

    There are completely accurate resources out there and people still wanna believe what their granddaddy told them, or they heard in a gunstore. This leads to constant bickering on forums too.


    People are passionate about guns, so there will always be arguments. Guns are a very serious thing,, so there will always be arguments. Be well informed, and well read.
    Quote Originally Posted by dbcad View Post
    Change is the only constant...

    ...Quite enjoyable and satifsying to have the number of knives decrease but the sharpness of the edges increase. The eternal quest for least resistance

    Enjoy your edges folks

  8. #8
    Spyderco Forum Registered User wrdwrght's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    628
    Quote Originally Posted by Rwb1500 View Post
    Sometimes I don't think gun forums should be friendly. Let me try to explain why.

    Guns are exceptionally dangerous. Owning and carrying guns is exceptionally dangerous especially from a legal standpoint. I own and carry guns, don't get me wrong. The problem is that some people think owning/carrying/shooting guns is just a blimeig video game, you can screw around with, bend the rules, etc.

    There's a lawyer on a gun forum I frequent who once said something to the effect of "The legal system is a big ****ing hammer waiting to crush gun owners for any and everything."

    What he means is that gun owners are no longer seen as the good guys, look in the media, look at Zimmerman, etc. Every little thing is a invitation for criticism, or worse. That being said all gun owners must then act above bar. Of course not all do. The world is full of idiots and they have the right to keep and bear arms, like it or not. These people also have access to the internet.

    Basically what I'm trying to say is that there are stupid people all around us, they just tend to get weeded out faster on gun forums, and I'm not so sure that's a bad thing.

    Arguments on gun forums usually consist of two parties, a right one and a wrong one. The argument itself is important to note, because some have no real consequence on anything whatsoever. When it comes down to it it doesn't really matter if an Aimpoint or an Eotech is better. It's completely relative. People that get excited about arguments like that are idiots, because it's simply a matter of opinion.

    There's another type of argument that goes on, I call this the uninformed and don't care argument." I use .22 lr for self defense because if you shoot someone it'll bounce around in their body and do lots of damage." ------ If you say something like this on a gun forum I think you should be corrected. I won't even get started on how bad of an idea it is to carry .22 and think it's a viable caliber for defense, let's just talk about bullets bouncing around your body. Ever seen how a bullet flies? Ever see one pass through ballistic media?

    There are completely accurate resources out there and people still wanna believe what their granddaddy told them, or they heard in a gunstore. This leads to constant bickering on forums too.


    People are passionate about guns, so there will always be arguments. Guns are a very serious thing,, so there will always be arguments. Be well informed, and well read.
    Excellent and insightful points (no wonder I agree ). And, so, I'm pretty sure if you'd put this on a gun forum, the fur would fly...
    Marc

    USUAL CARRY: Air/Techno plus one from Manix/Native/Para/Caly/Stretch series. RECENT ARRIVAL: Cruwear Manix2. ON MY RADAR: CF S110V Native5 (pre-ordered); VG10 Caly 3.5. HOLY GRAILS: Superhawk; Manix (C95 FFG PE); S90V Manix2 (C101 "Mini" or 80mm). DREAMS: Tatanka (the long-awaited Bison!); Sage5.

  9. #9
    Spyderco Forum Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    36280
    Posts
    715
    We have a very good gun thread on the case forum.

  10. #10
    Spyderco Forum Registered User Revival's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    The 9th Island
    Posts
    455
    Quote Originally Posted by RanCoWeAla View Post
    We have a very good gun thread on the case forum.
    What is the case forum?

  11. #11
    Spyderco Forum Registered User PanChango's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    242
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunslinger View Post
    I have been going to a gun forum that will remain unnamed because of shiny footprints and it's full of D-bags. Every innocent comment gets some know it all telling you how your wrong, and the brand bashing never stops. So, I'm hoping there's a decent gun forum where everyone gets along.

    I guess I'm spoiled by Spyderco forums because this place has the coolest people on it. Everyone seems to get along for the most part, and the troublemakers don't stick around for long. Not to mention it's based around the coolest company.
    What kind of shooting interests you? pistol, rifle, shotgun, etc?

    I am primarily a shotgunner and spend a good amount of time at shotgunworld. IMO, it is a pretty friendly place.

  12. #12
    Spyderco Forum Registered User Donut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Virginia Beach, VA, USA
    Posts
    6,540
    Is there gun talk on USN? That's a very friendly forum, but I don't know how much they get into that stuff.
    -Brian
    A distinguished lurker.
    Chat with us. Sharpthings - A Blog Site

  13. #13
    Spyderco Forum Registered User Gunslinger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Missouri USA Earth
    Posts
    855
    So far I like the THR forum, which is where I found a post warning people about Spyderco, lol. I'm trying to get on USN but I need a non Gmail email address. I'm not sure what that means. Can someone clarify.

  14. #14
    Spyderco Forum Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    45
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunslinger View Post
    I have been going to a gun forum that will remain unnamed because of shiny footprints and it's full of D-bags. Every innocent comment gets some know it all telling you how your wrong, and the brand bashing never stops. So, I'm hoping there's a decent gun forum where everyone gets along.

    I guess I'm spoiled by Spyderco forums because this place has the coolest people on it. Everyone seems to get along for the most part, and the troublemakers don't stick around for long. Not to mention it's based around the coolest company.
    Sadly, there are D-bags and 12-year-old armchair commandos on most of the forums. That said...

    Of the various gun forums I've tried, 1911forum.com is my favorite. The forum has very heavy traffic (20,000 active members and 120,000 total members or something like that), and a lot of very knowledgeable people, so it's a great place for info. There are some D-bags and armchair commandos; I generally throw them on my ignore list.

  15. #15
    Spyderco Forum Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    32
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRaven View Post
    Sadly, there are D-bags and 12-year-old armchair commandos on most of the forums. That said...

    Of the various gun forums I've tried, 1911forum.com is my favorite. The forum has very heavy traffic (20,000 active members and 120,000 total members or something like that), and a lot of very knowledgeable people, so it's a great place for info. There are some D-bags and armchair commandos; I generally throw them on my ignore list.
    I agree about 1911forum.com being a good friendly forum. I also like The Original CZ forum (www.czfirearms.us), HKPRO Forum, and the Smith & Wesson Forum (smith-wessonforum.com). On any forum the moderators and the subject matter make a big difference, not just the posting members. If the Moderators turn out to be problematic people, or proponents of social anarchy, or just plain bullies, then their Forum will surely suffer.

    On the other hand there are forums populated with tightly-wound tactical "operators' and professional commando types who simply cannot be bothered with anybody who doesn't sleep on a bed of nails or eat live rattlesnakes for breakfast. It's amazing how much mere mortals can learn however from merely "lurking" on such places while the tough guys (and gals) draw blood on each other and sometimes offer good advice.
    “Look unto me, and be ye saved, all the ends of the earth: for I am God, and there is none else.” Isaiah 45:22 KJV

  16. #16
    Spyderco Forum Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    601
    I like defensive carry forums pretty well.

  17. #17
    Spyderco Forum Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    36280
    Posts
    715
    Quote Originally Posted by Revival View Post
    What is the case forum?
    The Case knife forum. That's where I spend the rest of my time when I'm not on here. It's $15 for a year or $150 for lifetime membership and besides being an excellent forum you can buy sell and trade Case knives on there. I have even seen Spydercos in the Other knives we like thread.

  18. #18
    Spyderco Forum Registered User Officer Gigglez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Originally out of Arizona, currently live in Missouri.
    Posts
    668
    Good luck finding one of those
    Spyderco Knives (in order of obtainment):
    -Tenacious G-10, Combo edge
    -Tasman Salt, PE
    -Persistence Limited Edition Blue G-10, PE
    -Pacific Salt, Black, PE
    -Delica 4, Grey FRN, Emerson Wave, PE
    -Karahawk collector's club #015, Custom Scales, Emerson Wave, PE
    -DiAlex Junior, G10, PE
    -Byrd SS Crossbill, PE, Custom Engraved

  19. #19
    Spyderco Forum Registered User Officer Gigglez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Originally out of Arizona, currently live in Missouri.
    Posts
    668
    Quote Originally Posted by RanCoWeAla View Post
    The Case knife forum. That's where I spend the rest of my time when I'm not on here. It's $15 for a year or $150 for lifetime membership and besides being an excellent forum you can buy sell and trade Case knives on there. I have even seen Spydercos in the Other knives we like thread.
    Paying to be a part of a forum? Er... to each their own I suppose
    Spyderco Knives (in order of obtainment):
    -Tenacious G-10, Combo edge
    -Tasman Salt, PE
    -Persistence Limited Edition Blue G-10, PE
    -Pacific Salt, Black, PE
    -Delica 4, Grey FRN, Emerson Wave, PE
    -Karahawk collector's club #015, Custom Scales, Emerson Wave, PE
    -DiAlex Junior, G10, PE
    -Byrd SS Crossbill, PE, Custom Engraved

  20. #20
    Spyderco Forum Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    36280
    Posts
    715
    I wouldn't care if Spyderco charged $15 for a membership if you could buy, sell and trade Spyderco knives on here.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •