Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Total Left Knee Replacement>> AGONY TAKEN TO A HIGHER LEVEL!!

Spyderco Forum Registered User yablanowitz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JD Spydo View Post
    That CPM machine which raises my knee up and down, is truly a torture device of sorts. But the Doctor said I would end up walking like Chester out of the old "Gunsmoke" TV series from years gone by if I didn't do my time on that machine.
    The doctor that did my girl's surgery doesn't believe in that machine. The therapists here told her that a year down the line they can't see any difference between the patients of the doctors who prescribe it and the patients of the doctors who don't as long as the patients do their therapy. Her mother's doctor did prescribe it, which is one reason she picked a different doctor to do hers.
    I don't believe in safe queens, only in pre-need replacements.

Spyderco Forum Registered User SpyderNut's Avatar
    Ouch! Glad you made it through your ordeal, JD. I do not envy you. It's good to have you back anyway. IMHO, the best rehab for your pain may be found in the pages of the new 2014 Products Catalog (or even the 2014 Op Focus Catalog)! But on a serious note, I work with physical and occupational *ahem* "terrorists" on a daily basis and they're not all bad. (On the other hand, I've never been on the business end of one of their sadistic work-out rituals though. Easy for me to say, right? ). Heal quickly, brother, and stay strong!
    Michael

Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by yablanowitz View Post
    The doctor that did my girl's surgery doesn't believe in that machine. The therapists here told her that a year down the line they can't see any difference between the patients of the doctors who prescribe it and the patients of the doctors who don't as long as the patients do their therapy. Her mother's doctor did prescribe it, which is one reason she picked a different doctor to do hers.
    Holy Popcorn Batman!!!! You are the second person I've heard to say that CPM motion machines are sort of a "snake oil" device. That is really got me wanting to take a journey this afternoon. It's called "Follow The Money Trail" because the trail where all the money goes eventually will lead you to the harsh truth of most issues or debates or reasons for things that don't always past the smell test.

The reason I say that is because I had another type of major surgery on this left knee a few years back and after 3 weeks of using that CPM machine a lady friend of mine got me to do yoga stretch exercises instead and I do believe that they did just fine if not better than that machine was doing. But follow the money trail because if they can get the money from your insurance then they are going to milk it for all they can. And with this nightmarish new health care system they are trying to implement I'm really starting to worry.

But in all fairness sometime the CPM machine honestly makes the darn knee fell better.
    Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!

Spyderco Forum Registered User MadRookie's Avatar
    Get well soon JD!

Spyderco Forum Registered User tonydahose's Avatar
    Heal quickly buddy.
    WTC #1444 Always Remember
    Need info on a particular , just click here
    My knives
    Spydie count: a few

Spyderco Forum Registered User yablanowitz's Avatar
    Motion, painful though it is, will make the knee feel better. Whether that motion is imparted by a machine or your own effort is irrelevant. In essence, the CPM machine is your doctor's way of saying he doesn't trust you to do the exercises you need to for a full recovery.
    I don't believe in safe queens, only in pre-need replacements.

Spyderco Forum Registered User kbuzbee's Avatar
    Sorry to hear, brother! Quick recovery but don't push yourself too hard. Stuff like this takes time.

Ken
    玉鋼

I feel for you. Have several friends who have had replacements and they say it's rough

Spyderco Forum Registered User Holland's Avatar
    Get well soon! the forums missed you
    Phil Wilson Smoke Creek s110v, SouthFork, Gayle Bradley, Chaparral 1, Chaparral 2, Native 5, Para2, Para1 SE, Caly 3, Dragonfly 2, Dragonfly 2, Delica 4, Ladybug 3

-Spencer

Spyderco Forum Registered User skatenut's Avatar
    Sorry to hear about your pain, JD! Glad you are back with us.

Had three knee surgeries but not a total replacement, never again, I hope!

Get well soon!

Spyderco Forum Registered User dialex's Avatar
    I hope you'll have a quick and full recovery my friend. No pain, no gain so clench your fists and go further.
    The mind commands the body and it obeys. The mind orders itself and meets resistance.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Jazz's Avatar
    Glad you're back JD, and you'll heal quick like. Do you mind me asking what they all did to your knee? Mine aren't the greatest - that's why I'm curious.
    - best wishes, Jazz.

Unhappy Now the Right Knee is next

AS if I haven't been slapped around enough lately I was just told by the Doctor that I also need the other knee replaced

Well I guess it's a mixed blessing of sorts being that I am in a position to have it done. But here in the year 2014 my "misery index" just seems to continue to climb no matter what I do

But anyway the rehab on the left knee they say is going good so I guess I better just suck it up and man up and get it over with. Forget any new Spyders for the immediate future because the price of these meds and the other stuff is enough to bankrupt a billionaire.

I'm sure getting caught up on a lot of my reading and forum activity even though I'm doing enough physical therapy to host my very own aerobics show on cable

I guess I just had too much fun in my younger days and this is the way I've got to pay for it. I guess it would have been worse had I played football. I'll keep you all posted

Spyderco Forum Registered User xceptnl's Avatar
    When it rains, it pours JD. Sorry to hear about your other knee. Perhaps you will be able to meet your deductible and minimize your financial burdens. Physical strain alone can be enough without the added stress of how to pay.
    My 's:
    Native, Manix 2 (BD1,154CM,S30V,M4,XHP,S110V,Cruwear), Delica 4 (White,Red,Brown,Blue,BRG,G-10), Spyderhawk, D'fly (H1,G-10,SB), Police3, Volpe, Military (S30V,XHP,D2,M390,BG42,440V,Cruwear), Superleafs, Forager, D2 Para, Kopas, Kiwis, Caly (JR's,3,3.5), Para2 (XHP,204P), Stretch (SS,FRN's,CF), Rescues, Dyad Jr, Pingos, Southard, AIR, Jess Horns, Forum N5, Lil Matriarch, Barong, Superhawk, Chinook II, ATR, SPY-DK, Captain, Ti UKPK, Mules

*Landon*

Spyderco Forum Registered User gull wing's Avatar
    I feel your pain. Good luck.
    Waiting for....Calypso Jr.,

SCARAMOUCHE!

Quote Originally Posted by jabba359 View Post
    Welcome back! Sorry to hear about your woes. The only things you missed out on were the announcement of the Military 2 in the new CPM-S150V steel, the serrated edge T-Mag, and that Spyderco is doing away with the round hole.
    This and the announcement of the rainbow frn endura sprint with Super Pink steel...
    Next Spyderco: Worker Sprint, Lightweight Manix 2 S110V

Spyderco Forum Registered User SolidState's Avatar
    Heal quickly, and you may want to see if your insurance covers yoga as PT. I've heard from other sources that it's better than the machine as well.
    "Nothing is so fatal to the progress of the human mind as to suppose that our views of science are ultimate; that there are no mysteries in nature; that our triumphs are complete, and that there are no new worlds to conquer."
    Sir Humphry Davy

Quote Originally Posted by SolidState View Post
    Heal quickly, and you may want to see if your insurance covers yoga as PT. I've heard from other sources that it's better than the machine as well.
    That's interesting Brother because when I was a somewhat good distance runner at a much younger age a lady friend of mine got me into YOGA at one time and I thought it was some of the best "stretch" exercises I ever did. It really did help my running>> particularly with 10Ks, 20Ks and half marathons. >> which is probably why both my knees ended up in the trash heap.

Oh well I'm sure football would have been much worse. But thank you all for your "well wishes" and I will proceed with the second knee replacement. The biggest punishment out of it is not being able to swing some new Spyders and other sharpening toys for a while. Just like the old Lynn Anderson song used to say "THEY NEVER PROMISED ME A ROSEGARDEN". But I'm truly optimistic in the long run>> hopefully I'll be done with pain meds, doctor's visits and all the other negatives that went with it. But it sure gives me something to look forward to. OK on to more physical therapy ( punishment).

Spyderco Forum Registered User StuntZombie's Avatar
    It truly must be different for everyone. My future father in law had both his done in one go, and he was up and about within a week. Same thing with his hip replacement, though that has imparted a little bit of a limp in his step now.
    Chris

I have a blog! http://stuntzombies.blogspot.com/

The sole member of the anti-jimping club.