Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Total Left Knee Replacement>> AGONY TAKEN TO A HIGHER LEVEL!!

Spyderco Forum Registered User

Unhappy Total Left Knee Replacement>> AGONY TAKEN TO A HIGHER LEVEL!!

I finally was able to be taken home from the hospital Monday after undergoing a Total Left Knee Replacement surgery. Both my knees had been giving me trouble for quite a long time now so I went ahead and sucked it up, gritted my teeth and got it over with. But not without a huge ration of sharp pain thank you very much.

I had previous surguries on both knees in the past 14 years which was a direct result of having way too much fun when I was younger. The boredom of hospital confinement to me has to be similar to jail or prison>> well it sure felt that way. Glad to be back here at Spyderville and I'm glad the first one is over with because I'm going back to do the right one either in April or May. There was no way on GOD's Blue Planet I was going to do both at one time.

People often complain that they don't have enough money but truly the cliche "HEALTH IS WEALTH" has garnered a deeper meaning for me. Hope you all have been well and I hope Spyderville is running smooth. This pain is none like I've had in a long time so let's talk Spyders, and other edged tools to get my mind off of it
    Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!

Spyderco Forum Registered User yablanowitz's Avatar
    My girlfriend had both knees replaced at the same time last May. At first she was only going to do one at a time, but by the time she was halfway through the preparations, she decided there way no way she would go through them again and opted to have both done at once. She ended up glad she did it that way when it was all said and done. I can't say I feel your pain, but I have seen what it's like having nursed her through hers. Good luck, and try not to hate the physical terrorists. Excuse me, I meant "therapists".
    I don't believe in safe queens, only in pre-need replacements.

Spyderco Forum Registered User defenestrate's Avatar
    Ouch! Glad to see you back, Joe! I have kept the serrated hawkbill faith for you, brother.
    I don't get mad. I get..Stabby.
    -Fat Tony

Spyderco Forum Registered User xceptnl's Avatar
    Glad you are keeping yourself well and glad to have you back. The SE brotherhood missed you and the Hawkbill nation was about to send flowers.
    My 's:
    Native, Manix 2 (BD1,154CM,S30V,M4,XHP,S110V,Cruwear), Delica 4 (White,Red,Brown,Blue,BRG,G-10), Spyderhawk, D'fly (H1,G-10,SB), Police3, Volpe, Military (S30V,XHP,D2,M390,BG42,440V,Cruwear), Superleafs, Forager, D2 Para, Kopas, Kiwis, Caly (JR's,3,3.5), Para2 (XHP,204P), Stretch (SS,FRN's,CF), Rescues, Dyad Jr, Pingos, Southard, AIR, Jess Horns, Forum N5, Lil Matriarch, Barong, Superhawk, Chinook II, ATR, SPY-DK, Captain, Ti UKPK, Mules

*Landon*

Spyderco Forum Registered User jabba359's Avatar
    Welcome back! Sorry to hear about your woes. The only things you missed out on were the announcement of the Military 2 in the new CPM-S150V steel, the serrated edge T-Mag, and that Spyderco is doing away with the round hole.
    -Kyle

On the Fence: Tuff, Techno
    Latest arrivals: Des Horn, Dialex Junior, Super Blue Manbug

Spyderco Forum Registered User Peter1960's Avatar
    My best wishes for a speedy recovery!
    Peter - member of Spydiewiki.com group

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
    Spyderco's company motto

Spyderco Forum Registered User bh49's Avatar
    Get well fast.
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"
    George Orwell
    Any knife without Spyderhole is defective.
    My top choices Native5, G10/VG10 Caly 3.5/3 & C83 Persian Black micarta/bolsters

Spyderco Forum Registered User bh49's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jabba359 View Post
    The only things you missed out on were the announcement of the Military 2 in the new CPM-S150V steel,
    You forgot to mention that new Military2 will have two blade PE and SE. Kind of cross breed between Military and Dyad
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"
    George Orwell
    Any knife without Spyderhole is defective.
    My top choices Native5, G10/VG10 Caly 3.5/3 & C83 Persian Black micarta/bolsters

Quote Originally Posted by bh49 View Post
    You forgot to mention that new Military2 will have two blade PE and SE. Kind of cross breed between Military and Dyad
    That's just cruel!
    My 's:
    Native, Manix 2 (BD1,154CM,S30V,M4,XHP,S110V,Cruwear), Delica 4 (White,Red,Brown,Blue,BRG,G-10), Spyderhawk, D'fly (H1,G-10,SB), Police3, Volpe, Military (S30V,XHP,D2,M390,BG42,440V,Cruwear), Superleafs, Forager, D2 Para, Kopas, Kiwis, Caly (JR's,3,3.5), Para2 (XHP,204P), Stretch (SS,FRN's,CF), Rescues, Dyad Jr, Pingos, Southard, AIR, Jess Horns, Forum N5, Lil Matriarch, Barong, Superhawk, Chinook II, ATR, SPY-DK, Captain, Ti UKPK, Mules

*Landon*

Quote Originally Posted by bh49 View Post
    That's just cruel
    My 's:

*Landon*

Smile A VOO DOO curse would be similar I'm sure

Quote Originally Posted by xceptnl View Post
    That's just cruel
    Yeah I agree and the one about Spyderco doing away with it's "round hole" opener>> that's nothing but an outright abomination

But seriously guys it's great to be back because my December and January both were truly postcards from hell. Knee pain has got to be one of the most distracting and annoying pains there is without a doubt.

And YAB if you're girlfriend is tough enough to have both her knees replaced at the same time all I can say is you better treat that lady with respect. Because if she's that tough I doubt if she would take a great deal of guff from you ol buddy.

Those first 3 days out of the hospital were truly similar to one of the Stephen King movies I saw with James Caan in it and I forget the name>> If I didn't know better I would say that there are some ex-girlfriends taking up "VOO DOO"

Well guys I guess I'm going down to the Spyderville community center to see what I've been missing for a while. And I thank you all greatly for all your well wishes. JD just about back in the saddle again.

Spyderco Forum Registered User yablanowitz's Avatar
    Her mother needed to have both replaced, but after the first one was done, she never went back to have the other done. She opted to spend the rest of her life with a bad knee rather than go through that pain a second time, so I know it was really bad.

On the up side, my lady took me, her son and his wife and kids to Disney World in January, less than a year after her bilateral knee replacement, and toured all five parks on foot for eight days with no trouble. She's a keeper all right.
    I don't believe in safe queens, only in pre-need replacements.

Spyderco Forum Registered User The Deacon's Avatar
    Hope you heal quickly JD, good to have you back.
    Paul
    My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Kiwimania ---- Spydiewiki
    Dead horses beaten, sacred cows tipped, chimeras hunted when time permits.
    WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!

Heal up soon JD. I had my left meniscus scoped last summer and it truly sucked ! I'm sure my pain felt like a mosquito
    bite compared to what you're going through. Yeah, knee pain is no fun.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Blerv's Avatar
    Sorry to hear JD . Good luck with your speedy recovery!!
    Blake

Listing of Blade-Length Laws by State/County (Not My Website)
    http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/USKnife.pdf

Ouch. Sounds horrible....but in the long run, worth it I'm sure.

Heal up fast!
    On the hunt for...

Spyderco Forum Registered User Donut's Avatar
    I hope your recovery goes very well, but I guess this means we'll have you around more while you recover.
    -Brian
    A distinguished lurker.
    Chat with us. Sharpthings - A Blog Site

Quote Originally Posted by Donut View Post
    I hope your recovery goes very well, but I guess this means we'll have you around more while you recover.
    You know I thought that would be the case but between Doctor's office visits, physical terrorist's ( thearapist's) visits and other assorted and many unexpected visits I haven't had many minutes to call my own here since I got out of the hospital. But you can be assured I won't be leaving Spyderville anytime soon.

I truly thank you all for all your great "well wishes" and I'm sure I'll be laughing about the whole thing later this year. But waking up from that operation was similar to having a couple of hefty thugs work you over at will.

My boss was gracious enough to put me up in his house during the rehab period which was a very pleasant surprise. And his home is really nice and they are great folks as well. Probably because he still feels indebted for the ZDP-189 Delica I landed him recently. Yep I converted another one. And his son carries a Paramilitary model as well.

No I truly feel like I was in a bad car wreck on I-70 and they pulled me in with the tow truck. That CPM machine which raises my knee up and down, is truly a torture device of sorts. But the Doctor said I would end up walking like Chester out of the old "Gunsmoke" TV series from years gone by if I didn't do my time on that machine.

Ouch, wishing you full recovery asap.

Spyderco Forum Registered User phillipsted's Avatar
    Hope you get back on you feet soon, JD. I had my hip replaced a few years back, and to be honest, I had a cakewalk compared to the knee replacements I saw at the hospital. Definitely a more challenging recovery.

Keep the faith, Brother! And if it makes you feel better, curse under your breath at the Physical Therapists. IMHO, they are closet sadists.

TedP