Thread: Auto Storage

Spyderco Forum Registered User paladin's Avatar

Auto Storage

Quick question, do you guys store your autos in the opened position to minimize spring fatigue, or does it matter?
    Have Kiwi, will travel...wire Paladin...Hotel Carlton, San Francisco

Spyderco Forum Registered User Peter1960's Avatar
    I store my autos closed. I think a well designed spring and from correct material will cope with tension.
    If I have luck, I will live for another 30 or 40 years and can tell you afterwards my experience about spring fatigue
    Peter - member of Spydiewiki.com group

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
    Spyderco's company motto

Spyderco Forum Registered User The Deacon's Avatar
    I've been told it matters by someone I respect, but I've also been told it doesn't matter, that modern springs can take years of constant compression, by someone else that I respect. I figure having less tension on a spring can't possible hurt so I store all my autos, except my DA/OTF's, where it's a moot point, open.
    Paul
    My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Kiwimania ---- Spydiewiki
    Dead horses beaten, sacred cows tipped, chimeras hunted when time permits.
    WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!

Spyderco Forum Registered User paladin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter1960 View Post
    I store my autos closed. I think a well designed spring and from correct material will cope with tension.
    If I have luck, I will live for another 30 or 40 years and can tell you afterwards my experience about spring fatigue
    Quote Originally Posted by The Deacon View Post
    I've been told it matters by someone I respect, but I've also been told it doesn't matter, that modern springs can take years of constant compression, by someone else that I respect. I figure having less tension on a spring can't possible hurt so I store all my autos, except my DA/OTF's, where it's a moot point, open.
    Could both positions be possible? Perhaps. I feel as you do Peter, however I feel Paul received pragmatic advice when he was advised to store them open...I was leaning toward this position Paul, just wanted some reassurance I guess. Thanks guys for the timely & wise advice...ron
    Have Kiwi, will travel...wire Paladin...Hotel Carlton, San Francisco

Spyderco Forum Registered User TheFactor's Avatar
    I know on gun magazines what wears the springs out is compressing and releasing then compressing again . Leaving the magazines fully loaded with springs compressed will last many many years .
    Not sure if it applies to knifes or not .

Spyderco Forum Registered User xceptnl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFactor View Post
    I know on gun magazines what wears the springs out is compressing and releasing then compressing again . Leaving the magazines fully loaded with springs compressed will last many many years .
    Not sure if it applies to knifes or not .
    This is what I have always heard and how I have always treated my autos. All are since gone, but I made peace with it. My favorite was an original M.O.D. Keating Hornet, PE in 154CM with DLC. I regret letting that one go.
    My 's:
    Native, Manix 2 (BD1,154CM,S30V,M4,XHP,S110V,Cruwear), Delica 4 (White,Red,Brown,Blue,BRG,G-10), Spyderhawk, D'fly (H1,G-10,SB), Police3, Volpe, Military (S30V,XHP,D2,M390,BG42,440V,Cruwear), Superleafs, Forager, D2 Para, Kopas, Kiwis, Caly (JR's,3,3.5), Para2 (XHP,204P), Stretch (SS,FRN's,CF), Rescues, Dyad Jr, Pingos, Southard, AIR, Jess Horns, Forum N5, Lil Matriarch, Barong, Superhawk, Chinook II, ATR, SPY-DK, Captain, Ti UKPK, Mules

*Landon*

Spyderco Forum Registered User TheFactor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by xceptnl View Post
    This is what I have always heard and how I have always treated my autos. All are since gone, but I made peace with it. My favorite was an original M.O.D. Keating Hornet, PE in 154CM with DLC. I regret letting that one go.
    Much respect but Sometimes we have to do to what we have to do . Guns are another passion of mine and that would be a tough road .But with that being said I sure love my knifes especially my Spydies and you sir have one fine collection !