Thread: Howdoyouknow it's sharp, taking and keeping edge? 2 yrs observation

Spyderco Forum Registered User

Howdoyouknow it's sharp, taking and keeping edge? 2 yrs observation

Hx- 2 yr spyderco addict, will not buy another manf.
    Sharpen w/ edge pro and tri-sharp maker.

Chrono- Dragonfly H1, D4 Vg10, Persistence, Chokwe s30v, p2 in mail

I'm good at sharpening but when I finish sharpening with the exact same procedure I get the following:

H1 DF, average at slicing paper (worst), shaves arm/leg hair BEST ???? (Steel does not act "normal")
    Vg10 - Delica 4, cuts paper best, shaves 2nd best (current fav)
    8cr..... Persistence-2nd best on cutting paper, avg on shaving
    S30v chok- 2nd or 3rd on all test (prob not sharpening long enough)?

H1 and 8cr13mov...lose edge darn near immediately, vg is better (2-3 days), s30v LONG TIME

How can h1 stumble on phone book paper but shave like mad?
    These steels are quirky!!!

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    The H-1 may have either a burr that folds in the paper (it's very tough metal, making a burr harder to polish off) or chips that tear the paper as you slice it. Either defect can exist on a blade that shaves arm hair well.

S-30V does take longer to refine than the others, due to its high wear resistance. In my experience it does not hold the very sharp polished edge as well as VG-10 does.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Holland's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill1170 View Post
    The H-1 may have either a burr that folds in the paper (it's very tough metal, making a burr harder to polish off) or chips that tear the paper as you slice it. Either defect can exist on a blade that shaves arm hair well.

S-30V does take longer to refine than the others, due to its high wear resistance. In my experience it does not hold the very sharp polished edge as well as VG-10 does.
    s30v is definitely better known for holding its working edge for a respectable amount of time
    Phil Wilson Smoke Creek s110v, SouthFork, Gayle Bradley, Chaparral 1, Chaparral 2, Native 5, Para2, Para1 SE, Caly 3, Dragonfly 2, Dragonfly 2, Delica 4, Ladybug 3

-Spencer