View Poll Results: What's your favorite 3.5 inch EDC?

Voters
126. You may not vote on this poll
  • Para 2

43 34.13%
  • Stretch

19 15.08%
  • Caly 3.5

30 23.81%
  • Manix 2

14 11.11%
  • Gayle Bradley

10 7.94%
  • Southard

19 15.08%
  • Tenacious

5 3.97%
  • Double Bevel

0 0%
  • Nilakka

1 0.79%
  • "That's not a knife, that's a spoon."

4 3.17%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Poll: 3.5-inch EDC showdown!

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by The Deacon View Post
    Unless I'm heading into Greenville, where there's a 3" blade limit, there's a Stretch in my back pocket. Some days it's the FRN VG-10 version, some days it's an original SS/Kraton VG-10 one that STR customized with lignum vitae scales over titanium liners, some days its a bolstered cocobolo prototype, and lately it could be one of the two Nishijin GF VG-10 Damascus versions. Been carrying the blue one today.
    Deacon, I saw the picture of that bolstered cocobola stretch you have. Is that the prototype you mention here? If it is, when is that thing going to be released, because I want one BAD!?

Spyderco Forum Registered User M80's Avatar
    My spoon came sharper that most of my Spydies did

I had to go with the Caly 3.5 Had a Para (1 and 2), Southard and Manix and sold them all off. Of the rest, the only one I'm interested by is the Nilakka but it doesn't look comfortable so I'm holding out for now.

Spyderco Forum Registered User xceptnl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Invective View Post
    I had to go with the Caly 3.5 Had a Para (1 and 2), Southard and Manix and sold them all off. Of the rest, the only one I'm interested by is the Nilakka but it doesn't look comfortable so I'm holding out for now.
    Welcome to the last knife you will ever...... LOVE
    My 's:
    Native, Manix 2 (BD1,154CM,S30V,M4,XHP), Delica 4 (White,Red,Brown,Blue,BRG,G-10), Spyderhawks, D'fly (H1,G-10), Police3, Volpe, Military (S30V[2],XHP,D2,M390,BG42,440V,Cruwear), Superleaf, Forager, D2 Para, Kopas, Caly (JR's,3,3.5-SB), D3, Para-2 (XHP,204P), Stretch (SS,FRN's,CF), Rescue, Dyad Jr, Pingo, Southard, AIR, Jess Horn, Forum N5, Lil Matriarch, Barong, Superhawk, Chinook II
    Mules> MT05,08,09,12,15,16,17, 18

*Landon*

Spyderco Forum Registered User Apophis's Avatar
    Wow, interesting results so far.

I figured the Para2 would run away with it, but after about 24hrs the Caly 3.5 has a one vote advantage! Has there been any talk of another Caly 3/3.5 sprint?

Another thought, expected to see more votes for the Manix2 (either g10 or frcp). I finally got to handle them both a couple of weeks ago and really liked the the g10 version. Wouldn't mind having one, but it will have to wait a bit.

Spyderco Forum Registered User BT-Blades's Avatar
    I voted Para2! Absolutely love the Para2! Southard is a close second for me, but I can't wait to get the Caly 3.5. I ordered one after being on the forum and seeing how much everyone loves it.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Spydersense's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BT-Blades View Post
    I voted Para2! Absolutely love the Para2! Southard is a close second for me, but I can't wait to get the Caly 3.5. I ordered one after being on the forum and seeing how much everyone loves it.
    I like the looks of the Caly 3.5 as well. I will probably get one as soon as my wallet cools down a little bit. I've purchased 8 knives in under a month. Four of those being Spydies. Don't tell my wife. lol
    Time for another !

-Matt

Spyderco Forum Registered User BT-Blades's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Spydersense View Post
    I like the looks of the Caly 3.5 as well. I will probably get one as soon as my wallet cools down a little bit. I've purchased 8 knives in under a month. Four of those being Spydies. Don't tell my wife. lol
    Lol! I'm in the same boat, but I ONLY bought 5 knives in the past month. All ! I pretty much have everything I've been looking at getting now, so I can let my wallet cool down as well!

Spyderco Forum Registered User Holland's Avatar
    Caly3.5 for edc, GB for everything else
    -----Dreaming of: M4 Bird & Trout collaboration with Phil Wilson-----

Phil Wilson Smoke Creek s110v, SouthFork, Gayle Bradley, Chaparral 1, Chaparral 2, Native 5, Para2, Para1 SE, Caly 3, Delica 4, Dragonfly 2, Ladybug 3

-Spencer

Spyderco Forum Registered User Revival's Avatar
    I voted PM2. I have yet to see a Caly 3.5 in person. Almost purchased one today but backed off once again.

Spyderco Forum Registered User kbuzbee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Invective View Post
    Of the rest, the only one I'm interested by is the Nilakka but it doesn't look comfortable so I'm holding out for now.
    Interesting you raise that one. I'd kinda thought the same thing but finally pulled the trigger on one this weekend. Should be here Wed-Thurs... I guess I'll find out!

Ken
    玉鋼

Spyderco Forum Registered User Chief's Avatar
    I voted Para2 and Southard.

Interesting that you can vote for multiple choices on a "favorite" poll.

Spyderco Forum Registered User jon1all's Avatar
    I've owned 5 from that list & voted for the Para2. It's the quintessential Spyderco EDC knife IMO.
    Apparently, arachnophobia is not a condition from which I suffer....
    ------
    "I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." (oops!)
    --Thomas Jefferson
    PLEASE VISIT MY BLOG >>>1all's Pub<<<

I have Para 2's in s30v and M390. My s30v (HG) Manix 2 still gets more pocket time.

If I worked in a more "civilized" environment, I might go for something smaller or lighter, but for me the Manix 2 (the heavy version) is the clear winner in this category.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Holland's Avatar
    im surprised the para2 is still winning
    -----Dreaming of: M4 Bird & Trout collaboration with Phil Wilson-----

Phil Wilson Smoke Creek s110v, SouthFork, Gayle Bradley, Chaparral 1, Chaparral 2, Native 5, Para2, Para1 SE, Caly 3, Delica 4, Dragonfly 2, Ladybug 3

-Spencer

Spyderco Forum Registered User bearfacedkiller's Avatar
    I love my para2. It is the knife I compare all other knives to.

I don't like the Para 2 at all . Had two and got rid of both. The tip is too fragile and the lock pinched the heck out of me about every time I opened it. Don't want another one or another compression lock. I love the Caly 3.5 however

Spyderco Forum Registered User dgebler's Avatar
    Gotta agree with the Caly 3.5 here. I don't hate the PM2, but there is no way I could consider it a better knife than the Caly specifically for EDC purposes.
    The Caly is just too easy to carry and there is nothing wrong with good ole VG-10 IMO. Only small complaint I have is difficulty closing one hand due to the good detent/auto close but again, this is one reason I don't carry my PM2's so much. It just takes one time of one opening in your pocket to make you think twice about what you want to carry.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Evil D's Avatar
    Of all the knives on that list, I'd have to vote Southard, simply because it's the only one that actually has 3.5 inches of blade and not 1/2 or so of choil. Although I do love choils, a blade is what cuts, and to me that means cutting edge, so to me a Para 2 has a 3 inch blade, not 3.5. It's really just a terminology thing I guess. I know the law might feel otherwise.

SHARPEN IT LIKE YOU LOVE IT, USE IT LIKE YOU HATE IT
    ~David

Official plea to Sal: Can we PLEASE get a DLC Yojimbo 2? PLEASE!!?

Spyderco Forum Registered User Apophis's Avatar
    That's a good point, David. It was a somewhat arbitrary decision to go by blade length rather than cutting edge length.