View Poll Results: What's your favorite 3.5 inch EDC?

Voters
126. You may not vote on this poll
  • Para 2

43 34.13%
  • Stretch

19 15.08%
  • Caly 3.5

30 23.81%
  • Manix 2

14 11.11%
  • Gayle Bradley

10 7.94%
  • Southard

19 15.08%
  • Tenacious

5 3.97%
  • Double Bevel

0 0%
  • Nilakka

1 0.79%
  • "That's not a knife, that's a spoon."

4 3.17%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Poll: 3.5-inch EDC showdown!

Spyderco Forum Registered User jmh58's Avatar
    Well.. I dont have any.. So... MMMM??? John
    A great rabbit chase ends with a.. BANG!!!

Never too old to relive your youth!!

Life is to short to carry a cheap knife!!!

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    I own two. Manix 2 and tenacious. To be honest they're both great knifes but I just love my tenacious.
    ~~~~ USn Catcherman ~~~~ Tasman Se ~~~~ Centofante 3 ~~~~ UKPK blue SE ~~~~ Goddard OD Sprint Pe ~~~~ Ambitious Pe blue~~~~ Zdp Ladybug ~~~~ Manix 2 lwt Pe ~~~~ Delica orange Pe ~~~~ Swick 3 fb ~~~~ Native brown xhp ~~~~ Persian 2 ~~~~

Spyderco Forum Registered User Evil D's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Apophis View Post
    That's a good point, David. It was a somewhat arbitrary decision to go by blade length rather than cutting edge length.
    Well at the same time I wouldn't say you're wrong, because the blade is technically what swings out from the handle, choil or not, so 3.5 in still true for the Para 2's blade length. It's just something to consider for many knives, especially ones like the Tuff that has nearly 3/4 of an inch of blade length allocated for the choil. Heck, the Khukuri has almost an entire inch of blade coming out from the handle before the cutting edge begins (seems to be an Ed Schempp thing). The Para 2 only has about 3/8 of the blade set aside for the choil, so it's not bad compared to some. I've just come to really appreciate the Southard because it packs an honest 3.5 inches of cutting edge into a handle that's smaller and shorter than knives that half a full half inch less blade.

SHARPEN IT LIKE YOU LOVE IT, USE IT LIKE YOU HATE IT
    ~David

Official plea to Sal: Can we PLEASE get a DLC Yojimbo 2? PLEASE!!?

Manix 2 (love the lock) but my PM2 is chasing close behind.
    Mike

Caly 3.5 in ZDP wins for urban EDC

For urban use, the size and shape of the Caly 3.5 is hard to beat. Amazing blade to handle ratio. Great ergonomics - I use the knife for a ton of delicate tasks like supreming an orange and peeling grapes. It can cut cardboard, cut rope, and shave parmasan. ZDP when brought down to low angles (less than 25deg inclusive) can treetop hair with ease and keep its edge for a long time. The blade shape is also decidedly non-threatening according to my colleagues.

By contrast, the Para handle looks huge after carrying the Caly 3.5 for a while, and the blade shape looks tactical to some people. I do admit it feels better in hand for some uses though. Both are fantastic knives and I carry both when I go camping - one razer sharp low angle Caly 3.5 for soft materials and emergencies, one Para for regular unrestricted hard use!
    (note: I only have the Para 1, not the 2 :/ )

Quote Originally Posted by antidogma View Post
    Caly 3.5 in ZDP wins for urban EDC

For urban use, the size and shape of the Caly 3.5 is hard to beat. Amazing blade to handle ratio. Great ergonomics - I use the knife for a ton of delicate tasks like supreming an orange and peeling grapes. It can cut cardboard, cut rope, and shave parmasan. ZDP when brought down to low angles (less than 25deg inclusive) can treetop hair with ease and keep its edge for a long time. The blade shape is also decidedly non-threatening according to my colleagues.

By contrast, the Para handle looks huge after carrying the Caly 3.5 for a while, and the blade shape looks tactical to some people. I do admit it feels better in hand for some uses though. Both are fantastic knives and I carry both when I go camping - one razer sharp low angle Caly 3.5 for soft materials and emergencies, one Para for regular unrestricted hard use!
    (note: I only have the Para 1, not the 2 :/ )
    Hopefully you aren't basing your opinion on the Para 2 from what you know about the Para 1...they might share a similar name and a little DNA, but they are very very different knives.

~David

Spyderco Forum Registered User Apophis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil D View Post
    Well at the same time I wouldn't say you're wrong...
    On the flip side, your initial comment made me realize that I left out knives with actual 3.5 inch cutting edges (or also in the ballpark) like the Vallotton and the Hungarian. I may have to re-evaluate the Southard too. I thought of it as being larger, but now that I've looked at the numbers I see what you're saying. That's what still shocks me about this company, how can they have so many different models and all of them have so much appeal?!?!?

Quote Originally Posted by Evil D View Post
    Hopefully you aren't basing your opinion on the Para 2 from what you know about the Para 1...they might share a similar name and a little DNA, but they are very very different knives.
    Good point, though all I mentioned was the blade to handle ratio, the handle ergonomics, the blade steel, and the blade geometry. I am aware that the blade length of the Para 2 is greater than the Para 1, and the handle is shaped slightly differently (tho still distinctively Para in style). Caly 3.5 still wins for me in all these areas, despite the improvements but you're right that I wouldn't truly know till I try it!

Spyderco Forum Registered User jackknifeh's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Apophis View Post
    Stretch
    Manix 2
    Gayle Bradley
    I have only owned the above three out of your list. I voted for the GB. It is now called the BRADLEY FOLDER of course. All three are really great knives but the GB is the only one I still have. After voting I got the GB out of my box of knives and will be carrying it instead of the Sage4 for a while. It's Bradley's turn for a while. The Stretch is a great knife but when I would pick it up it never WOWED me like the GB does. The Manix2 rates a wow as well but the GB get the UPPERCASE WOW. I've made scales for my favorite knives except the GB. If/when I do make scales for it they will be of some really beautiful wood. Wait, I did make a set of G-10 scales for it but I hated them. I remember thinking I would have a crappy set of scales for when I might use the knife in a dirty work job. Believe me when I say I got the "crappy" part PERFECT.

Jack
    My Manbug. (ZDP-189 shaped like Jester blade with red bone scales (11-12-2013)). This was previously the VG-10/G-10 w/bolsters Manbug. Knife nickname: FrankenManJester or FrankenJesterBug.

Quote Originally Posted by antidogma View Post
    Good point, though all I mentioned was the blade to handle ratio, the handle ergonomics, the blade steel, and the blade geometry. I am aware that the blade length of the Para 2 is greater than the Para 1, and the handle is shaped slightly differently (tho still distinctively Para in style). Caly 3.5 still wins for me in all these areas, despite the improvements but you're right that I wouldn't truly know till I try it!
    Oh believe me there's more than a little change in the handle. I was diehard Para 1 when the 2 came out and initially I scoffed at the 2 and didn't see the big deal. Then I handled one, and I don't think I've used my Para 1 since and that was like 3 years ago. It really is that much better.

~David