Thread: Is it time for a Spyderco fillet knife?

Spyderco Forum Registered User avocadobbq's Avatar

Is it time for a Spyderco fillet knife?

Specifically I would love to get my hands on a FB06 or FB07. It was designed by Phil Wilson back in the day. Now that we know Spyderco and Mr. Wilson make a great team (Southfork) I think it's a good time to request these beauties. I'm thinking MBS26 steel, just like the kitchen knives that were recently released. Thoughts? Would you buy one? Any ideas on handle material?

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    Phil Wilson bird and trout is next up, isn't it?

I would be interested in one in S35V or XHP. I think that G10 would make for a good handle.

Spyderco Forum Registered User The Deacon's Avatar
    Never can tell. And, if the Phil Wilson ones are not possible, I know that Sal has suggested that at least some of other Pro Cullinaire knives will be reissued if sales of the K04 Utility Knife justify it. So there's at least an outside chance the K06 Fillet knife might reappear.
    Paul
    My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Kiwimania ---- Spydiewiki
    Dead horses beaten, sacred cows tipped, chimeras hunted when time permits.
    WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!

If we were to make a sport filet blade, it would be one of Phil's. We cut out blades about 10 or so years ago on Phil's model. but abandoned the project due to a variety of reasons.

sal

Spyderco Forum Registered User NoFair's Avatar
    Steel should age well so 10 years is no age to worry about Sal

It's funny...i was thinking about this just this morning. I've been playing with my new tasman salt a lot and I've been really impressed with how well it cuts at certain angle. Then I started thinking about a larger, less extreme hawkbill...and what that might be good for. Then I started thinking about fillet knives and wondering why they are shaped the way they are. I guess I was trying to imagine how a slightly curved or hawkbill fillet knife (or one with a bit of a hawkbill right at the tip) would work? Anyway, it was just some idle musings. I'm in for whatever.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Mutt's Avatar
    Im liking this in H1 steel with orange or yellow extra grippy g10 handles, about 2 inches of serration at the base of the blade near the handle and a vented kydex sheath. I fish in salt water and my filets get used and abused. no such thing a a safe queen filet knife in my house

Quote Originally Posted by Mutt View Post
    Im liking this in H1 steel with orange or yellow extra grippy g10 handles, about 2 inches of serration at the base of the blade near the handle and a vented kydex sheath. I fish in salt water and my filets get used and abused. no such thing a a safe queen filet knife in my house
    I like the idea of the two inches of serrations...kind of like the catcherman.

Spyderco Forum Registered User dtoad's Avatar
    Agreed, yes it is time, would love one.......
    Fish on!