Thread: Blue Nishijin GF VG-10 Damascus Stretch

Spyderco Forum Registered User The Deacon's Avatar

Blue Nishijin Glass VG-10 Damascus Stretch

This arrived today and, since I've yet to see photos of one posted here,, I figured I'd post a couple shots of it, and one of both the blue and black Nishijin GF versions...

Last edited by The Deacon; 01-26-2014 at 12:02 PM.
    Paul
    My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Kiwimania ---- Spydiewiki
    Dead horses beaten, sacred cows tipped, chimeras hunted when time permits.
    WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    Very nice! Is the nishijin polished or textured?

That is one sweet looking blade. Are you going to use it?

Spyderco Forum Registered User FCM415's Avatar
    Wow. That blue one is amazing. Thanks for sharing.
    Upcoming: N5 CF/S110v, N5 LWT, DragonFly SB, Marcin Slysz Bowie, Farid Mehr K2, Peter Carey Rubicon, Gayle Bradley Fixed Blade, Phil Wilson Sprig, Mule Team 4V

(Some) Wishes: Native5 CHIEF, Sub 4 inch versions of the Mehr K2 and Carey Rubicon, More M4 and Use CPM-154!

Quote Originally Posted by MachSchnell View Post
    Very nice! Is the nishijin polished or textured?
    Very smooth and polished, very much like the older glossy CF Spydercos. To me, it's not an issue on a knife like the Stretch, where the shape of the handle keeps your hand in position.

Quote Originally Posted by jalcon View Post
    That is one sweet looking blade. Are you going to use it?
    It's already opened 2 junk mail envelopes and a package that arrived from Amazon and cut a piece of rawhide chew for Bear. Does that count?
    Paul
    My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Kiwimania ---- Spydiewiki

Very nice! Did yours come from NGK? I have the black one already, and am getting antsy for my blue one I preordered to be fulfilled.

That blue Nishijin looks great.
    Which Knife, A or B? get Both! (and C, D and E)

Spyderco Forum Registered User RadioactiveSpyder's Avatar
    Those look awesome, thanks for sharing Paul! The blue looks to be a deeper, richer color in your pics versus ones I've seen elsewhere. Do you also have the matching Cricket? Also, i remember you mentioning you were going to make some scales for these, did you decide on a material? Sorry so many questions! Cheers, another Paul
    It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. Stephen King

Thanx for the pics Paul. Interesting combination of materials.

sal

Quote Originally Posted by rodloos View Post
    Very nice! Did yours come from NGK? I have the black one already, and am getting antsy for my blue one I preordered to be fulfilled.

That blue Nishijin looks great.
    Yes, I purchased this one, and the black one I have with the same #, from NGK. FWIW, I still have a blue one, that I got billed for about 2 months ago, on pre-order from KW.

Quote Originally Posted by RadioactiveSpyder View Post
    Those look awesome, thanks for sharing Paul! The blue looks to be a deeper, richer color in your pics versus ones I've seen elsewhere. Do you also have the matching Cricket? Also, i remember you mentioning you were going to make some scales for these, did you decide on a material? Sorry so many questions! Cheers, another Paul
    Thanks. Like some other materials, the color varies quite a bit depending on the light intensity and source. As for the Cricket, I passed on that one, mostly because it's wrong handed.

Quote Originally Posted by sal View Post
    Thanx for the pics Paul. Interesting combination of materials.

sal
    Thank for making them Sal.
    Paul

Spyderco Forum Registered User gbelleh's Avatar
    Nice pictures. I appreciate the use of interesting materials, but those are just a little busy for me!
    My New Gear Review YouTube Channel

Latest Spydies: Lum Tanto FB Sprint, Green CTS-204P Para 2, K390 Mule, 2013 Forum Native 5, Domino, Blue G-10 Lava, Cruwear Military, Swick 3, Jot Singh Khalsa sprint, Hungarian Folder, CF S90V Manix 2 XL, Fluted Ti Military, Fluted Ti Native 5, Nilakka, Brown XHP Native, Equilibrium, Street Bowie, Lil Matriarch, Cat

Spyderco Forum Registered User NoFair's Avatar
    Nice pics (not too fond of the scales though)

Do you have any plans for scale mods on these Paul? Something light to offset the dark blade?

How much are these going for?Are they sprints or disr=tributor runs.

Quote Originally Posted by gbelleh View Post
    Nice pictures. I appreciate the use of interesting materials, but those are just a little busy for me!
    I agree, but a fair number of folks do seem to like the Nishijin GF, and a model like the Strech with a well structured handle is, IMHO, the best platform for it, or any slick scale material.

Quote Originally Posted by NoFair View Post
    Nice pics (not too fond of the scales though)

Do you have any plans for scale mods on these Paul? Something light to offset the dark blade?
    I'm thinking more of going in the opposite direction. Plan to find someone to tone down the blade on one of the blue ones to a less contrasty look, like that on the Seto VG-10 damascus kitchen knives. If I like that, then I'd like to have the same done to one of my two black ones and have the GF scales on it replaced by with wood. What I'd really like is to find someone who can do up a set of textured wood scales for it like the ones on the Fox Anso Flipper.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackhawk30 View Post
    How much are these going for?Are they sprints or disr=tributor runs.
    Pretty sure they're Sprint runs. If not, definitely distributor rather than dealer exclusives as most dealers seen to have them. Average US "street price" is around $200.
    Paul

Spyderco Forum Registered User NoFair's Avatar
    Pics when it is done

A lighter etch would look nice.

(Also posted this in the thread started by Jackknifeh and will be watching both threads for responses - thanks)

Just picked up one in Blue Nishijin - I saw it a while back in person and thought it was gorgeous but wasn't sure of the Damascus VG-10. But after recently getting a Nishijin R and then Nishijin D'Fly and fondling them while chill'n out and watching the light catch the scales I decided to finally pull the trigger on the blue Nishijin Damascus version.

I really do love the Stretch ergo's and also the functional blade shape that does almost everything very well. I currently have the BRG ZDP FRN and grey SB Sprint Stretch versions and am also really looking forward to the upcoming CF ZDP Stretch with redesigned choil. So I figured if I don't get this blinged out blue Nishijin Damascus version now that I'd really regret it later when they are no longer readily available and the only one's up for grabs would be going for $400 on ebay.

I'm just wondering what anyone's experience has been with both Nishijin and Damascus as a moderate use (pocket carry with daily light EDC as infrequent light wittling or cardboard & plastic packaging cutting as well as eating utensil duties).

How well does the clear resin over the Nishijin scales stand up to such use and can scratches be polished out of the Nishijin with any kind of easily available cleaners on the market and how well does the VG-10 Damascus stand up to such use. Does it wear as well as normal VG-10 - can scratched be polished out of the contrasting metals with a metal polisher if necessary or would this ruin the Damascus finish.

I have already bought the knife and have no regrets as I think it is a thing of beauty but I want to know what kind of use I can put it to and how to keep it looking its best with normal usage and if it responds well to any future "tuning" to remove normal usage wear marks (i.e., tune up or "spa" treatment).

Hopefully someone can give me some advice on these questions as I have also only recently picked up my Nishijin D'fly and R and also want to keep these looking nice as well. Thanks in advance for any advice that might come my way. Cheers.......Steve

I can't be of much help when it comes to the scratch resistance of Nishijin GF. I've carried my black one a few times and haven't scratched it yet, but I regularly carry and use other knives with what some folks would consider "delicate" handle materials without damaging them. Possibly because I carry them in a pocket dedicated to the knife and take minimal care not to drop them or drag them around on rough surfaces. I can say for a fact that gloss CF can be quite scratch resistant, because I saw a CF Ladybug a while back that an acquaintance had been carrying on his key chain for years. Problem is, there's no telling if the resin used for the gloss layer on the Nishijin GF is the same one used in that particular gloss CF, and I would expect scratch resistance to vary between resins.

As for the damascus. I would expect the dark color to be about as damage resistant as the bluing on a firearm, so I would expect it to scratch if rubbed with an abrasive and to will wear over time from repeated contact with less abrasive things. And, as with gun bluing, someone applied the chemicals that created it, so someone could "re-blue" it although, like re-bluing, doing so would probably be best left to a professional. Personally, I'd rather have someone remove it completely as I much prefer the more subtle look of the low contrast etch of the VG-10 damascus used on the Seto kitchen knives to the high contrast etch that both G Sakai and Moki are using on Spyderco's folders.
    Paul

Thanks for your reply Paul. I didn't realize that you could remove the heavy contrasting lines of the alternate steel layers of the Spyderco VG-10 Damascus. I guess if it ever gets too scratched up and the scratches are showing across the darker steel then it could be re-treated to get a new surface finish in the alternating Damascus lines - either in the same contrasting lines as a new knife or in a less contrasting finish that you have mentioned as being desirable to you. I just looked at the Seto knives that you mentioned and they are indeed gorgeous! I might have to pick up a chef's knife now too.

I guess I will just have to take it easy with the GF and see what happens. Someone else told me that the GF can scuff up a bit but I was wondering if some kind of polishing paste might be out there that might restore the luster to the GF if it became scuffed - I wouldn't want to accidentally use something that would dull and haze the shiny GF instead of shining it up. Maybe power buffing it with some plastic polishing compound on the cloth buffing wheel might be what is needed to restore any shine to the GF resin surface?

When wearing cargo pants I also usually have my knife in its own dedicated pocket but with jeans I really need some of the rest of my right hand side pocket for keys, etc.

I was thinking of solving this problem by purchasing some loose BM microfiber bags from GPK (very cheap ~$2). I wish Spyderco made their small microfiber cloth bags. A black bug across a red or blue microfiber or a red bug against a back microfiber cloth would look amazing. Then I would cut out the bottom of a pair of jean's small right hand pocket corner "watch pocket" and then sew in the microfiber bag's mouth flush with the top of the pocket so that I have a new deeper and dedicated pocket that will fit a folding knife that would also be separate from my main right-hand side pocket and deep enough to insert the knife all the way and use the pocket clip to secure it to the outside of my jean's denim.

Just a guess, but the stuff they sell to restore auto headlight lenses might work on the GF's resin.
    Paul