Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: confused newbie question, fake or real?

Spyderco Forum Registered User

confused newbie question, fake or real?

hello everyone, my name is Melissa, i was hoping to get some clarity about the authenticity of a few recent purchases made on ebay, i figured what better place than the company's forum... i bought a few knives as a present for my bf (he's a bit of a knife nut) i thought they were spyderco knives but when i gave them to him he started examining them and told me they were not real and i had been scammed.

i contacted the seller to inquire, he assured me they were genuine... my bf still tried to get the seller to take them back and give me a refund because he did not like them, but he refused. we threatened to report him and leave negative feedback, so he finaly gave us a small partial refund (better than nothing)... but then here's the weird part, a few days later he removed the spyderco name from his listings, even the logo on the blade is gone. do you think we've been scammed or are these real!?

me again, sorry i tried posting up some pics i took of the knives but i can't seem to get them to show up. here are the listings of the knives i have purchased (hope this works).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221347384806...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221351440935...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Spyderco Forum Registered User Blerv's Avatar
    The larger one is certainly a fake. I'm guessing since they came from the same seller both are not real.

You can certainly get new Spyderco knives on eBay but unless you get lucky with an auction the savings isn't amazing over a quality retailer. A H1 Dragonfly should be $45-55 and a Military is over $100 (a carbon fiber one at least three times that since they are usually limited runs with exotic steels).

How much did you pay for the knives? Typically paying a fraction of the normal price is the first giveaway.

Regardless we are sorry for your problems.
    Blake

Listing of Blade-Length Laws by State/County (Not My Website)
    http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/USKnife.pdf

hi Blake, thank you for your answer i guess this confirms what we thought, i remember when i gave the knives to my bf he said "unless spiderco's quality control suddenly went to the crapper, these are fakes". i don't know anything about knives so i had no idea on the prices, i didn't even know that there were people out there making fake ones until i searched online and stumbled upon this site. i guess i should be thankful i didn't pay full market price for them, my bf said he will just throw them in his tool box and use them for things that he doesn't want to use his more expensive knives for. thanks again.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Qcrazy's Avatar
    This really makes me sick! These fake knives hurt everyone, and possibly in more ways than just money. It would sure be nice to find a way to stop things like this from happening. I can't imagine how much is lost by all the fake items sold. Sorry to here about your troubles.

how about this one? is this a fake too? it says "style" and "clone" in the description, does that mean it's a counterfeit? ... the price seems right, i think?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Spyderco-sou...item4d17ea4777

i really want to get a nice spiderco knife for my BF but i'm afraid of getting scammed again on ebay, you guys have any good trustworthy sites you can recommend that accepts paypal?

Hi Melissa,

Welcme to our forum. Sorry for your disappaointment. Counterfeits are a serious problem. We met with our congressman today on the issue of counterfeits. He wasn't aware that it is a problem. 'tis a reall PITA though.

sal

Quote Originally Posted by meli1988 View Post
    how about this one? is this a fake too? it says "style" and "clone" in the description, does that mean it's a counterfeit? ... the price seems right, i think?

i really want to get a nice spiderco knife for my BF but i'm afraid of getting scammed again on ebay, you guys have any good trustworthy sites you can recommend that accepts paypal?
    It is a fake, sadly . The Spyderco Southard is about $215-225 from retailers.

There are plenty of great retailers on the web. National Knives I know takes Paypal and is quite nice with prices. They also have plenty of sprints and discontinued knives not to mention great customer service.

If you must go through eBay there are some trustworthy sellers out there. Two I know are legit (and there are plenty more) are "poor_fish" and "unitedoutdoors".
    Blake

Spyderco Forum Registered User The Deacon's Avatar

That one's a fake too.
    Paul
    My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Kiwimania ---- Spydiewiki
    Dead horses beaten, sacred cows tipped, chimeras hunted when time permits.
    WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!

Spyderco Forum Registered User Chris_H's Avatar

Melissa,

This is the same thing as your unfortunate, previous purchase. The problem with this particular listing is that they are using "style" in the description to possibly circumvent the listing being reported as false or fraudulent. However, the product clearly is a counterfeit since it uses all of the trademark markings (logos, designer's marks, and round opening hole) to appear as a real Spyderco product when it isn't. The price is, again, inconsistent -- way too low -- with what you'd expect for that model (with those materials -- carbon fiber and CTS-204P steel).
    "All your are belong to us."
    ** WTC # 1032 1533 **

thanks everybody for your kind words and advice. i will visit the ebay stores that have been recommended by the deacon and see if i can find something that my boyfriend would like, thank you very much.

Welcome, Melissa!
    With patience and research, you can find a good deal via eBay for a new Spyderco.

A good place to start is the main Spyderco website (www.spyderco.com) Use the search box at the top of the page and type in the model name, for example Southard (from your last questionable model.) After searching, click on the picture. You'll see a picture of the knife with a description. Click the picture again and you'll see a CLEAR enlarged front/back picture of the model in question!

The trick is to know all of the trademarks, which vary for each style knife. Compare the blade shape, any markings on the blade (the Spyder, Spydie-Hole, any words, initials, inscriptions etc.) to what you see in an eBay posting. If they only show one side of the knife on eBay, request a picture of the reverse side before making an offer. A legitimate seller will provide this without hassle! If anything at all doesn't match, check here or don't purchase.

Lastly, know that price does matter, to a degree. Almost every Spydie owner knows the dollar value of their knives. This goes double for sellers, unless they make a mistake, or haven't researched their products very well. You can find a good deal from someone selling off a collection in a pinch, or for a variety of other reasons. I've been lucky to catch a few myself, but be sure before jumping on a deal that seems to be too good to be true. I bought a factory 2nd Blue Dodo last month this way, whoops The great people here are always glad to offer an opinion before you take the plunge! Good luck, and I'm sure your boyfriend will appreciate your efforts

thanks for te great tips anthony! i will defintely be alot more careful in my future purchases on ebay. my bf still appreciated the efforts for the counterfeit ones i got him, he was disapointed that they were fake, but he was still very happy for the thought, that's what counts afterall thanks again everyone! you have all been very nice and helpful.

Basically on eBay look for sellers with a lot of positive feedback, who stock a lot of knives, and are based in the USA.

You're unlikely to go wrong with those guidelines.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Syncharmony's Avatar
    I generally stay away from ebay in general due to the problems that you've encountered. Sometimes the fakes can be VERY convincing! Generally speaking, online shops like cutlery shoppe, knifeworks, howes, new graham, etc are the best bet to pay a good price and get a genuine article. You may be able to find a better deal on ebay, but there's always that risk.
    Current EDC rotation: Southard, Paramilitary 2, Sage 1, G10 DF2, Techno

On deck: Military, Caly 3.5, Air

Wish List: M4 Military, S90V PM2, Superblue Caly 3.5, G-10 Jester

Quote Originally Posted by Freman View Post
    Basically on eBay look for sellers with a lot of positive feedback, who stock a lot of knives, and are based in the USA.

You're unlikely to go wrong with those guidelines.
    Yep. If the prices seem accurate and they have more than a few models (like 20-30 different knives) it's unlikely they are peddling fake goods. That or they a mischivious band of elves cranking them out faster than AliExpress.
    Blake

I'm also new to collecting spyderco knives just picked up a manix 2 great knife,my question is theirs a seller on ebay selling a spyderco paramilitary 2 can anybody tell me if this is a fake or real paramilitary 2 here's the link from ebay http://www.ebay.com/itm/SPYDERCO-PAR...item1e86810c5d Before I spend my hard earned money. Thank you

It looks real and the buyer seems to have a few Spydies for sale so it's probably not a fake farm. That said...there really isn't a real way to confirm it without seeing it in person. A good fake might even fool some of us

IMO, I would wait until Golden catches up or a dealer that you trust has one in stock. Get in touch with like New Graham Knives or Howes (or anyone like that) and see if you can be put on a list or even put a deposit down. There are plenty of knives to buy that risking it on a fake would be worth more than $100 in stress and anger.
    Blake

Spyderco Forum Registered User Donut's Avatar
    Here are some hints. Read through the entire page. The Southard one says something along the lines of "the best clone money can buy". The dragonfly (called ABS on that page) says that the blade is 440, when it should be H1.

The obvious thing to me is that the Dragonfly Salt is only made with a Yellow handle.

Compare the ebay auctions to the catalog, read the description, or just save yourself all that trouble and buy from a good dealer.
    -Brian
    A distinguished lurker.
    Chat with us. Sharpthings - A Blog Site

Spyderco Forum Registered User xceptnl's Avatar
    All of the above mentioned information is great to remember. It is a shame to need to go through so much trouble and research just to prevent being ripped-off, but that's the way this are these days. Many reputable dealers have ebay stores that sell NIB knives and many will have "specials" from time to time with prices that are close to their actual independant websites (National Knives for example). Best advise I can give is this, "If it looks too good to be true, IT IS!"
    Happy hunting.
    My 's:
    Native, Manix 2 (BD1,154CM,S30V,M4,XHP,S110V,Cruwear), Delica 4 (White,Red,Brown,Blue,BRG,G-10), Spyderhawk, D'fly (H1,G-10,SB), Police3, Volpe, Military (S30V,XHP,D2,M390,BG42,440V,Cruwear), Superleafs, Forager, D2 Para, Kopas, Kiwis, Caly (JR's,3,3.5), Para2 (XHP,204P), Stretch (SS,FRN's,CF), Rescues, Dyad Jr, Pingos, Southard, AIR, Jess Horns, Forum N5, Lil Matriarch, Barong, Superhawk, Chinook II, ATR, SPY-DK, Captain, Ti UKPK, Mules

*Landon*