Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First knife for my girlfriend

Spyderco Forum Registered User DutchBlades's Avatar

First knife for my girlfriend

After having my girlfriend tolerate my knife obsession for almost 3 years, decided she needs atleast one herself (even though she's scared of them ).
    Got this one as a random surprise present, as girly as it gets... SS PE Endura 4 as size reference.

Elk Ridge ER-147 in metallic pink and silver, 440 steel, liner lock, mirror polished blade and sheeple friendly!

What do you guys/girls think?

A tiger has claws,
    A wolf has teeth,
    An eagle has talons.
    We, have Spyderco.

Spyderco Forum Registered User earthman's Avatar
    You maybe better off with a SAK, my wife likes a Classic, she finds the scissors, nail file come in very useful, it's a very small & light package so she will actually carry it in her handbag.

Spyderco Forum Registered User gbelleh's Avatar
    Good luck. My wife is scared of knives too. I gave her a Ladybug a couple years ago, and she never used it once. It's long lost now. She'd rather struggle with using her fingernails or keys anyway.
    My New Gear Review YouTube Channel

Latest Spydies: Lum Tanto FB Sprint, Green CTS-204P Para 2, K390 Mule, 2013 Forum Native 5, Domino, Blue G-10 Lava, Cruwear Military, Swick 3, Jot Singh Khalsa sprint, Hungarian Folder, CF S90V Manix 2 XL, Fluted Ti Military, Fluted Ti Native 5, Nilakka, Brown XHP Native, Equilibrium, Street Bowie, Lil Matriarch, Cat

Spyderco Forum Registered User Blerv's Avatar
    Good luck !

I'm going to try a pink Squeak eventually. I got a black one for Christmas and love it.
    Blake

Was wondering what to get, thought about the pink Victorinox Classic (not sd --> driver tip instead of nail cleaning thing) or the purple ladybug.
    But decided to take a more "general" knife, standard folder.
    Gave it an hour or so ago, wasn't too excited, didn't know what to do with it or how to close it xD

Hope she'll use it from time to time, atleast she likes the color
    A tiger has claws,
    A wolf has teeth,
    An eagle has talons.
    We, have Spyderco.

Quote Originally Posted by gbelleh View Post
    Good luck. My wife is scared of knives too. I gave her a Ladybug a couple years ago, and she never used it once. It's long lost now. She'd rather struggle with using her fingernails or keys anyway.
    That's a shame... Ladybugs are great little back-up EDC's...
    Ah well, can't win em all
    A tiger has claws,
    A wolf has teeth,
    An eagle has talons.
    We, have Spyderco.

Quote Originally Posted by earthman View Post
    You maybe better off with a SAK, my wife likes a Classic, she finds the scissors, nail file come in very useful, it's a very small & light package so she will actually carry it in her handbag.
    I was thinking about getting the pink Classic (regular, not SD).
    But decided to take a more standard folder.
    She will get a SAK someday, maybe a Wenger fingernail clipper , check it out if you don't know it
    Pretty useful for a lady and technically still a knife...
    A tiger has claws,
    A wolf has teeth,
    An eagle has talons.
    We, have Spyderco.

Spyderco Forum Registered User

My wife isn't nearly as dainty as most women, but still loves pink. This is the only pic I have on hand and is a great size comparison. Just last week, she told me a story about how she whipped it out in the women's locker room at our gym to cut the tag off a dress. Didn't think a thing of it until she caught the NKP stares.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Syncharmony's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gbelleh View Post
    My girlfriend wields a 10" Chef's knife with ease and no worries. I hand her my Southard or PM2 though and she gets scared. It puzzles me greatly.
    Current EDC rotation: Southard, Paramilitary 2, Sage 1, G10 DF2, Techno

On deck: Military, Caly 3.5, Air

Wish List: M4 Military, S90V PM2, Superblue Caly 3.5, G-10 Jester

Spyderco Forum Registered User this_is_nascar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by earthman View Post
    +1 MY wife has a pink Victorinox Classic on her keyring.
    "The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun". --- Wayne LaPierre 12/21/2012

Spyderco Forum Registered User gbelleh's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Syncharmony View Post
    My girlfriend wields a 10" Chef's knife with ease and no worries. I hand her my Southard or PM2 though and she gets scared. It puzzles me greatly.
    My wife is equally scared of kitchen knives. I bought a nice set a couple years ago too, but she insists on using the same old, dull, serrated steak knives to cut everything.
    My New Gear Review YouTube Channel

Latest Spydies: Lum Tanto FB Sprint, Green CTS-204P Para 2, K390 Mule, 2013 Forum Native 5, Domino, Blue G-10 Lava, Cruwear Military, Swick 3, Jot Singh Khalsa sprint, Hungarian Folder, CF S90V Manix 2 XL, Fluted Ti Military, Fluted Ti Native 5, Nilakka, Brown XHP Native, Equilibrium, Street Bowie, Lil Matriarch, Cat

Spyderco Forum Registered User Officer Gigglez's Avatar
    Originally out of Arizona, currently live in Missouri.
    The Elk Ridge has a cool design. The color isn't my style though. My Girlfriend likes knives and guns like me. Not to the extent that I do, but she appreciates them. She carries a Blue G10 Persistence.
    Last edited by Officer Gigglez; 01-23-2014 at 05:04 PM.
    Spyderco Knives (in order of obtainment):
    -Tenacious G-10, Combo edge
    -Tasman Salt, PE
    -Persistence Limited Edition Blue G-10, PE
    -Pacific Salt, Black, PE
    -Delica 4, Grey FRN, Emerson Wave, PE
    -Karahawk collector's club #015, Custom Scales, Emerson Wave, PE
    -DiAlex Junior, G10, PE
    -Byrd SS Crossbill, PE, Custom Engraved

Quote Originally Posted by Syncharmony View Post
    That sounds waaaaay too familiar xD
    A tiger has claws,
    A wolf has teeth,
    An eagle has talons.
    We, have Spyderco.

My wife got started with a small SAK, she has now stolen my spin and ocelot (she likes the paw prints). She has also got a pink delica (gift).

She actually likes my knife habits as she can buy gifts for me with literally no risk I won't like them.

Quote Originally Posted by akaAK View Post
    My wife got started with a small SAK, she has now stolen my spin and ocelot (she likes the paw prints). She has also got a pink delica (gift).

She actually likes my knife habits as she can buy gifts for me with literally no risk I won't like them.
    Knives are always awesome presents
    From SAK to fixed blades and from folders to neck knives.
    Every knife has something great and unique
    A tiger has claws,
    A wolf has teeth,
    An eagle has talons.
    We, have Spyderco.

I bought my wife a purple ladybug for Christmas, pretty sure it's on top of her dresser still in it's package. She's "scared" of it, lol.

Spyderco Forum Registered User RadioactiveSpyder's Avatar
    How about a pink PM2...

It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. Stephen King

Spyderco Forum Registered User Chris_H's Avatar
    My wife likes regular EDC-size blades and SPyderco's "Lil Big Knives." For instance, she has a couple variants of the Cricket and regularly carries a Poliwog.
    "All your are belong to us."
    ** WTC # 1032 1533 **

Spyderco Forum Registered User Knivesinedc's Avatar
    Nice decison. I dont know if id buy one of those for my GF(If I had one) Just because I'm a steel snob. I'm Not like super Snobly with steel I just prefer to give people something with a little more MMhhmm too it ya know?The girl I like is scared of knives to but she said she would try not to slice all her fingers off so I started her off with a Grasshopper. I think I'm going to get her a Ladybug next, then probably a Delica FFG in Green cause green is her favorite color Also, I do believe, Steel aside, that the blade on the Elk Ridge is the exact same on on my CRKT drifter. I was studying the angles and grind and the jimping and its exactly the same. Interesting hehe
    Our Freedom, you want it, Come and take it.

Joshua 1:9b "Be strong and courageous, do not be terrified, do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go"

Spyderco Forum Registered User SpyderNut's Avatar
    A lot of it depends on personal preferences, intended uses, and how comfortable she is with the knife. For instance, my wife EDC's a small Persian (78 mm blade) and really likes it. It's a little bit big for her to carry in her pocket, but it fits nicely in her purse. She also has a Ladybug SE (white FRN) that she carries on occasion (thanks again, Vaisforlovers! ).
    Michael

Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi