• Hard-Anodized Aluminum

3 33.33%
  • Titanium

4 44.44%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: Camping Cookware Opinions / Experiences / Cautions Needed

Spyderco Forum Registered User xceptnl's Avatar

Exclamation Camping Cookware Opinions / Experiences / Cautions Needed

I am investing soon into a quality, somewhat lightweight, durable, long lasting, versatile, camping / backpacking cook set. I am so torn right now on what to buy. I will likely only need to be cooking meals for a minimum of 1 person and 2 to 3 persons at the most. I don't know if I will need a 1 liter, 2 liter or 3 liter pot. The main reason for the post is to get opinions from my fellow forum members on cookware materials.

Stainless Steel
    Hard-Anodized Aluminum
    Titanium

Again, my priorities are as follows in the order of importance

Weight
    Durability
    Cost
    Easy of cleaning and care

I have looked into MSR, GSI, Snow Peak and possiblly Evernew

All suggestions and experiences are welcome. Thanks for the help guys.
    My 's:
    Native, Manix 2 (BD1,154CM,S30V,M4,XHP,S110V,Cruwear), Delica 4 (White,Red,Brown,Blue,BRG,G-10), Spyderhawk, D'fly (H1,G-10,SB), Police3, Volpe, Military (S30V,XHP,D2,M390,BG42,440V,Cruwear), Superleafs, Forager, D2 Para, Kopas, Kiwis, Caly (JR's,3,3.5), Para2 (XHP,204P), Stretch (SS,FRN's,CF), Rescues, Dyad Jr, Pingos, Southard, AIR, Jess Horns, Forum N5, Lil Matriarch, Barong, Superhawk, Chinook II, ATR, SPY-DK, Captain, Ti UKPK, Mules

*Landon*

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    Basically, if you are going to be carrying it a lot get Ti. If you are car camping, rafting, etc--and hard on equipment--get SS. If you are doing some of both, hard-anodized Al (HAA) is a good compromise.

I generally figure .7-1.0 liter of pot per person, so if cooking for 3 people I would want at least a 2 liter pot and 2.5 liters would be better. A good set for 1-3 people would include a small pot (~.8 liter), a medium pot (~1.5 liter), and a large pot (~2.5 liter). Add a frypan if it fits your cooking style.

Unfortunately a large Ti pot is hard to find... and if you do it will likely cost you more than a Para 2. So if I were starting over I think a small Ti pot with a larger HAA set would be the way to go.

For a small pot I prefer either a Snowpeak Trek 700 or MSR Titan Kettle. When backpacking, this and a mug are all the cookware I need for one person. MSR's Quick 2 pot set is HAA with 1.5 & 2.5 liter pots and an available matching frypan.

[It does annoy me however that a lot of the manufacturers are only selling certain pots in sets rather than individually.]

Spyderco Forum Registered User Blue Possum's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by shu View Post
    Basically, if you are going to be carrying it a lot get Ti. If you are car camping, rafting, etc--and hard on equipment--get SS. If you are doing some of both, hard-anodized Al (HAA) is a good compromise.

I generally figure .7-1.0 liter of pot per person, so if cooking for 3 people I would want at least a 2 liter pot and 2.5 liters would be better. A good set for 1-3 people would include a small pot (~.8 liter), a medium pot (~1.5 liter), and a large pot (~2.5 liter). Add a frypan if it fits your cooking style.]
    +1 = really would depend how far your carrying from vehicle drop off point to camp site.
    Blue Possum

Spyderco Forum Registered User xceptnl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Possum View Post
    +1 = really would depend how far your carrying from vehicle drop off point to camp site.
    I am willing to pay more to have the versatility to go on a multiday hike with this set (or at least some components of the set). I guess I have already narrowed my choices to HAA or Ti. Let's say my budget is between $100 and $200 for a full set to include multiple pots, a pan, possible collapsible sink, plates and mugs.

I do like the GSI Pinnacle Backpacker and the MSR Flex 3. Both seem to have enough piece to change my load-out based on each specific trip.
    My 's:
    Native, Manix 2 (BD1,154CM,S30V,M4,XHP,S110V,Cruwear), Delica 4 (White,Red,Brown,Blue,BRG,G-10), Spyderhawk, D'fly (H1,G-10,SB), Police3, Volpe, Military (S30V,XHP,D2,M390,BG42,440V,Cruwear), Superleafs, Forager, D2 Para, Kopas, Kiwis, Caly (JR's,3,3.5), Para2 (XHP,204P), Stretch (SS,FRN's,CF), Rescues, Dyad Jr, Pingos, Southard, AIR, Jess Horns, Forum N5, Lil Matriarch, Barong, Superhawk, Chinook II, ATR, SPY-DK, Captain, Ti UKPK, Mules

*Landon*

Spyderco Forum Registered User Blue Possum's Avatar
    Evernew is a nice set of cookware. But it doesn't really give the whole set with plates/mugs/storage containers nicely packed. Annoying and disappointing. But the pots and pans themselves completely satisfied. I make to work with a camp site within 2 hours of the vehicle drop point, with no change in camp site for the trip. With just me, it works fine, but a person or 2 then it does lack.

I don't think you can go wrong with either of your choices, a friend has the GSI and is everything you need it to be. I don't know about MSR - but I would seem to lean towards that one. I would keep it Titanium what ever you choice you make, lets us know which one pick and report after you have used it.
    Blue Possum

I've used everything from Folger's coffee cans (which work great) to stainless. I really like the MSR nesting pots. You only need one or two depending on your prep. I would encourage you to spend more on the cook book. Stay away from anything that is coated or non-stick, it will melt or rub off. I don't feel the need for titanium. If there is an oriental grocery store around look for some Zebra stainless pots, they work great and the factory probably makes the MSR stuff.
    My all time favorite is the banks fry pan that allows you to build a twiggy fire on top and back bread or rolls.

Coat the outside with soap if you want the black to come off later.

Wok + Spydie
    O.

I prefer to mix and match gear to my liking--hence my dislike of only selling certain pots in a set--but I don't think you can go wrong with either GSI or MSR.

While nonstick requires a bit more care there are times I certainly appreciate having it along--and at least on MSR pots I have been impressed by its durability. If you are going to get fancy it is hard to beat nonstick HAA... unless you intend to pack in some cast iron.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Clip's Avatar
    I'd go with HAA, nonstick Al sucks when you're trying to maintain the integrity of the coating. SS is out because of the weight, and I eliminate Ti because of cost. Granted, Ti is harder to damage but if I think back to when I actually screwed up an aluminum pot, it was in the mail being shipped to me and that was because UPS was rough with the box. I've never taken falls bad enough to mess up the contents of my pack beyond use, and if I did I think I'd have bigger issues to worry about.

I originally had plans to get a GSI Backpacker cookset but after looking at the people I pack with, everyone usually carries their own gear. I've gotten along with a cheap Al ~1500 pot, the pot and pan that came in the Optimus Terra Weekender cookset, and the Primus EtaSolo cup. Most of the time I'll take just one of these along, because I've found it's more about planning my meals around the activity, resources, time and pack weight.

I've found that I usually try to pack something that just needs water and one pot (even the dehydrated Mountain House, etc meals) and after walking miles about all I want to do is heat and eat. The EtaSolo (similar to Jetboil PCS) works well to heat fast and stay clean, but I've also been looking at the GSI Ketalist set.

Haven't made any moves yet because I've still got that cheap pot and the mix/match of various kits and cups that work well for single-person trips. HAA is less dense than Ti, HAA is cheaper than Ti, and that does it for me.
    Click here to zoom: Under the Microscope

Manix2, Elmax MT13, M4 Manix2, ZDP Caly3, ZDP Caly Jr, SB Caly3.5, M390 Para2, Cruwear MT12, Techno, XHP MT16, South Fork, SB Caly3, Manix2 Ltwt, Salt I, 20CP Para2, Military Left Hand, Perrin PPT, Forum Native5, Squeak, Manix 83mm, 440V Military, Gayle Bradley, Swick3, Lil' Temperance, Cruwear Military, VG10 Jester, Terzuola SlipIt, XHP Native Ltwt, Domino, CPM154/S90V Para2, SB Stretch, D2 Para, Dfly2 Salt, Tasman Salt

Chris