58. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

55 94.83%
  • No. ( post your option )

3 5.17%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My first SPYDERCO

Spyderco Forum Registered User ChapmanPreferred's Avatar
    Dragonfly is a great first Spyderco. I often carry and that model.
    SFO Alumni/Authorized Spyderco Dealer (Startup)
    Work EDC List
    FRP: Nisjin Cricket PE, Manbug PE, Dragonfly PE
    FLP: SS Cricket SE, byrd Flatbyrd CE
    BRP: CF Military S90V
    BLP: Forum S110V Native

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    And how easily it disassembles the dragonfly for cleaning, and lubricate?

Spyderco Forum Registered User BronislovasLTU's Avatar
    Voted yes, but think about byrd line and Tenacious. D2 too small, IMHO. But you want quality and small, so good choice. But buy it from trust seller.

i voted yes, Its a great knife. But if you can swing the price get a Sage 1 instead.
    Next Spyderco: Worker Sprint, Lightweight Manix 2 S110V

Spyderco Forum Registered User Holland's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruben View Post
    And how easily it disassembles the dragonfly for cleaning, and lubricate?
    Backlocks are not the easiest type of knives to disassemble. But if you know what your doing, you shouldn't have a problem
    -----Dreaming of: M4 Bird & Trout collaboration with Phil Wilson-----

Phil Wilson Smoke Creek s110v, SouthFork, Gayle Bradley, Chaparral 1, Chaparral 2, Native 5, Para2, Para1 SE, Caly 3, Delica 4, Dragonfly 2, Ladybug 3

-Spencer

Spyderco Forum Registered User FLIP4real's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Holland View Post
    The chaparral is my favourite knife, so ill agree with you there. But for the dfly, i would recommend going with the FRN model. Its a lot lighter and a better bang for your buck imo. If you want to spend the premium, i would recommend the ZDP189 Dfly
    I 2nd this. The ZDP Dragonfly is my 1 and only Dragonfly and the steel is amazing. Paired with the small size and light weight its a great knife. I will say, however, that I typically carry a 3" knife as EDC.

Your budget and use for the knife will dictate this decision. Either way, you won't be disappointed with any choices here and you will have to handle more knives to learn your preferences.

Good luck and enjoy your purchase. Its already a good one,

Spyderco Forum Registered User Monocrom's Avatar
    Backlocks are not the easiest type of knives to disassemble. But if you know what your doing, you shouldn't have a problem
    The D.F. is so small that much of the time there's no need to disassemble one anyway.
    "The World is insane, with small pockets of sanity here & there. Not the other way around."

-John Cleese-

Spyderco Forum Registered User Revival's Avatar
    H1 would be smart to consider based on geographic
    Good point Holland, but we cannot assume that he will be using the knife near the ocean or lives within close proximity to the ocean to where the ocean breeze will come into play based on geogrphaic alone.

I was born and raised on an island and know many people that never went to the beach or lived close enough to where rust was a factor. I also know a few people (including my Dad) that have dragonflys, enduras and delicas all with VG-10 and have not had any problems.

But I will agree that the next question should be:

"Ruben, will you be using the knife near the ocean and how far from the ocean do you live?"

No, i live at aproximate 300km(186miles) from the sea..

I live near the Serra da Estrela.https://www.google.pt/search?q=serra...=isch&imgdii=_

I prefer the ergonomics of the Chaparral handle to be better than the Dragonfly, and I also find it rides less obtrusively in a pocket because it's thinner than a Dragonfly. It's also one hell of a slicer thanks to the 2mm blade width, and classy looking enough to be very sheeple friendly. I have no qualms whatsoever pulling it out in public, and I've had lots of non-knife carrying people ask me if they can see it. Don't get me wrong...the Dragonfly is an excellent knife and you can't go wrong with it, but I'd personally give the edge (Pun intended) to the Chaparral if your budget can accommodate it.
    Para-Military 2 (Digi-Cam), Jester (Grey G10), Caly3/3.5 (CF ZDP-189/420J2), Domino (Blue weave)
    Ladybug (H1), Native FRN (Black S30V), Dragonfly Salt, Swick3, Techno, Military (CruWear)
    Schempp Tuff, Goddard OD, Mule Team (K390), Manix2 LW Black, Ulize, Chokwe
    Saver Salt, Lava (Blue G-10), 2013 Forum Native, Delica 4 (Titanium Damascus)

-> Branden

Quote Originally Posted by paladin View Post
    The handle was only able to cut the hemp when 10,000 metric tons of force was applied

Spyderco Forum Registered User A-Ro's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 3rdGenRigger View Post
    I prefer the ergonomics of the Chaparral handle to be better than the Dragonfly, and I also find it rides less obtrusively in a pocket because it's thinner than a Dragonfly. It's also one hell of a slicer thanks to the 2mm blade width, and classy looking enough to be very sheeple friendly. I have no qualms whatsoever pulling it out in public, and I've had lots of non-knife carrying people ask me if they can see it. Don't get me wrong...the Dragonfly is an excellent knife and you can't go wrong with it, but I'd personally give the edge (Pun intended) to the Chaparral if your budget can accommodate it.
    And truly, the Chaparral is just a few dollars more than the G10 Dragonfly.

I voted No.I recommend a Delica FFG Vg10 as your first spydie.

Spyderco Forum Registered User DutchBlades's Avatar
    From my own experiences, I can say that the alltime favorite starting Spydie, is the Tenacious.
    But if you have more money availible, I should go for an Endura 4, Centofante 3 or a (Para)Military

Good luck and welcome to the world of Spyderco
    In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.

It's one of my favorites Spydies, and looks like my first one, the "Q" ! So yes, a good choice !
    Anyway, whatever the one you'll choose as the first, it will only be the first (of a great collection, I wish you !).

PS : I really like the G10 one, but FRN ones are really great, very nice, and a good choice as EDC because cheaper and solid.
    Plain Edge Friendly !
    Favorite ones : 1- Native (+ Poliwog) 2- J.S.Khalsa 3- H.Viele & Dragonfly
    ~~ Still looking for the Native C41PBBK ! ~~

Spyderco Forum Registered User SpyderNut's Avatar
    Hi Ruben, welcome to the Forum!

I voted "yes," because I think the Dragonfly is a superb EDC model--and is also an excellent first choice for a Spyderco. If you can swing it, I would probably go for the ZDP-189 version for the benefit of the steel. It will be worth the extra coin in the long run, IMHO. If pice is a concern, the standard VG-10 model is still a very good choice. (FWIW, I've EDC'd a H1 Dragonfly at work for exactly one year and I've yet to find anything that I like better). Happy hunting and welcome aboard!
    Michael

Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Spyderco Forum Registered User Revival's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DutchBlades View Post
    From my own experiences, I can say that the alltime favorite starting Spydie, is the Tenacious.
    But if you have more money availible, I should go for an Endura 4, Centofante 3 or a (Para)Military

Good luck and welcome to the world of Spyderco
    The OP is looking for a small utilitary knife

Spyderco Forum Registered User jmh58's Avatar
    Cat!! John
    A great rabbit chase ends with a.. BANG!!!

Never too old to relive your youth!!

Life is to short to carry a cheap knife!!!

Welcome, Ruben, I hope you are not overwhelmed by all of us well-intentioned advice givers. Anyway here is my 2 centavos-worth :

I started out with bigger Spydies and resisted the Dragonfly for a long time because I thought it was too small. When I finally got the foliage green G-10 model I was surprised at what a substantial knife it was. Of the 7 types of Dragonfly available (9, counting the serrated Spyderedge ones) it is the only one with full metal liners, except, I assume, the two stainless steel models. I love the foliage green G-10 and the tough little wire clip. I have carried it every day since I bought it, but I also carry a bigger knife as well. I actually carry it clipped in my shirt pocket most of the time. I would doubt that you would have any need to disassemble it for cleaning. They can be washed in soapy water and rinsed thoroughly and blown out with air if necessary, and lubricated easily externally.

Since you are mainly interested in the Dragonfly, I assume you have already decided on a small knife, because larger ones are available for the same or less money. The light weight Dragonfly2 models with FRN handles lack the steel liners and are cheaper, except for the 2 with special steels, ZDP-189 as several people already mentioned, and the upcoming Super Blue blade sprint run, both of which would be great choices if you want to pay a little more. Also the edge of the super blue blade is not stainless, which is fine with most folks.

If you haven't already picked out which one you like best, it may be a hard choice :

Light wt Black FRN
    Light wt Spyderedge
    Light wt Orange
    Light wt ZDP-189 blade
    Light wt Yellow Salt H-1 blade
    Light wt Yellow Salt H-1 Spyderedge
    Stainless steel handle
    SS handle with "Tattoo"
    Foliage Green G-10

Happy hunting,
    Doug
    MY SPYDIE LIST (on profile page)
    Want List: 4V Mule; New Stretch prototype CF-slab/ZDP test sprint! (or left over super blue if any happens to be lying around!); Military 2

Hi Ruben,

Welcome to our forum.

sal