• Yes

55 94.83%
  • No. ( post your option )

3 5.17%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My first SPYDERCO

Spyderco Forum Registered User

My first SPYDERCO

Hello everyone, my name is Ruben and I am Portuguese, I signed up on the forum to be able to ask some questions ... Already I congratulate you for having an amazing forum ....

My first question, I like to buy a quality and small utilitary knife...
    I'm thinking in a spyderco dragonfly 2...What you say? what is your opinion?

Spyderco Forum Registered User paladin's Avatar
    Welcome Ruben! Dragonfly 2 is a GREAT first Spyderco...go for it, dude! Lots of quality people & high quality information here.
    Have Kiwi, will travel...wire Paladin...Hotel Carlton, San Francisco

Spyderco Forum Registered User redfeenix's Avatar
    Whats your budget?

Low - Persistence/Ambitious

Mid - Dragonfly 2

High - Chaparral

The Chaparral CF in my opinion is the definitive EDC Spyderco have ever made. Amazing materials and tolerances, the Dragonfly is not bad either. If you do get the Dragonfly, get the G-10 version.

Life is short, so buy knives while you can!

Chaparral CF, Sage 1,Delica 4, Black Caly Jr ZDP (2x), Black Caly Jr. Spyderedge, Burgundy Caly Jr, Gray Caly Jr, Air, Native 5 Ti, Native 5 Forum 2013, Smallfly

Spyderco Forum Registered User Monocrom's Avatar
    A very good choice for a first Spyderco. I own an early model Dragonfly and love it for it's small size but excellent cutting ability compared to the size.
    "The World is insane, with small pockets of sanity here & there. Not the other way around."

-John Cleese-

Spyderco Forum Registered User bh49's Avatar
    Ruben,
    Welcome to the Forum.
    IMHO Dragonfly is a very good choice.
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"
    George Orwell
    Any knife without Spyderhole is defective.
    My top choices Native5, G10/VG10 Caly 3.5/3 & C83 Persian Black micarta/bolsters

Spyderco Forum Registered User Leon's Avatar
    Welcome to the forum
    It's not long since I was choosing my first spyderco as well, probably around 2-3 months ago
    I went with the Delica4, but now I also own an orange FRN dragondly 2
    Love them both, it's just a matter of size preference

Spyderco Forum Registered User FCM415's Avatar
    Welcome! Good choice, also look at the Delica.

My first was a Byrd Meadowlark (China made Delica) and the rest is history...
    Upcoming: N5 CF/S110v, N5 LWT, DragonFly SB, Marcin Slysz Bowie, Farid Mehr K2, Peter Carey Rubicon, Gayle Bradley Fixed Blade, Phil Wilson Sprig, Mule Team 4V

(Some) Wishes: Native5 CHIEF, Sub 4 inch versions of the Mehr K2 and Carey Rubicon, More M4 and Use CPM-154!

Spyderco Forum Registered User xceptnl's Avatar
    I voted yes. All of the Dragonfly models are terrific first spydies. A word of caution, the D'fly 2 is a gateway spyderco that will eventually lead to more 50/50 choil designs and more $. Enjoy your first purchase, whatever you may decide. Honorable mention goes to the Kopa (discontinued) and Caly Jr. (also discontinued) if you choose to hunt for them on the secondary market. They are worth the hunt.
    My 's:
    Native, Manix 2 (BD1,154CM,S30V,M4,XHP,S110V,Cruwear), Delica 4 (White,Red,Brown,Blue,BRG,G-10), Spyderhawk, D'fly (H1,G-10,SB), Police3, Volpe, Military (S30V,XHP,D2,M390,BG42,440V,Cruwear), Superleafs, Forager, D2 Para, Kopas, Kiwis, Caly (JR's,3,3.5), Para2 (XHP,204P), Stretch (SS,FRN's,CF), Rescues, Dyad Jr, Pingos, Southard, AIR, Jess Horns, Forum N5, Lil Matriarch, Barong, Superhawk, Chinook II, ATR, SPY-DK, Captain, Ti UKPK, Mules

*Landon*

Spyderco Forum Registered User Holland's Avatar
    Welcome to the forums! the dragonfly is a classic spyderco design and everyone should own one i cant say anything bad about it. I take the clip off of mine and carry them loosely in the pocket. I often forget im even carrying one
    Phil Wilson Smoke Creek s110v, SouthFork, Gayle Bradley, Chaparral 1, Chaparral 2, Native 5, Para2, Para1 SE, Caly 3, Dragonfly 2, Dragonfly 2, Delica 4, Ladybug 3

-Spencer

Quote Originally Posted by redfeenix View Post
    Whats your budget?

Low - Persistence/Ambitious

Mid - Dragonfly 2

High - Chaparral

The Chaparral CF in my opinion is the definitive EDC Spyderco have ever made. Amazing materials and tolerances, the Dragonfly is not bad either. If you do get the Dragonfly, get the G-10 version.
    The chaparral is my favourite knife, so ill agree with you there. But for the dfly, i would recommend going with the FRN model. Its a lot lighter and a better bang for your buck imo. If you want to spend the premium, i would recommend the ZDP189 Dfly
    Phil Wilson Smoke Creek s110v, SouthFork, Gayle Bradley, Chaparral 1, Chaparral 2, Native 5, Para2, Para1 SE, Caly 3, Dragonfly 2, Dragonfly 2, Delica 4, Ladybug 3

-Spencer

Spyderco Forum Registered User DRKBC's Avatar
    Hi and welcome Ruben!

The Dragonfly is a tremendous knife, it is very small but very useful. I just bought one to have it as a secondary knife and I carry it and use it a lot. Considering your proximity to the ocean maybe H1?

Here is the DF H1 next to a Caly3, the Caly3 is a little bigger but with a similar platform, it has a choil and is very light and comfortable.lf you want to go a little bigger I think it would also be a good choice.

Last edited by DRKBC; 01-20-2014 at 09:05 AM.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Mick's Avatar
    Great first knife! The Dragonfly was my first Spydie purchase back in the 90's, and the rest is history - I've lost count of how many Spyderco knives I know own.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Revival's Avatar
    Welcome to the forums. The Dragonfly is an excellent choice! The next question is which Dragonfly.....

Quote Originally Posted by Revival View Post
    Welcome to the forums. The Dragonfly is an excellent choice! The next question is which Dragonfly.....
    H1 would be smart to consider based on geographic

-Spencer

Spyderco Forum Registered User bearfacedkiller's Avatar
    That is a great choice. If you want a full size grip then a delica may be another great option. Doesn't cost much more and has a full grip.

Quote Originally Posted by bearfacedkiller View Post
    That is a great choice. If you want a full size grip then a delica may be another great option. Doesn't cost much more and has a full grip.
    I have large hands and I find the dfly more ergonomical than the delica

-Spencer

Spyderco Forum Registered User dgebler's Avatar
    Sorry to be the lone disagreement, but I would not vote for this as a first Spyderco. I have one and it is a great little knife, but I personally am not in love with the ergo's. I find that the thumb hole is a little awkward for me to open easily and it just isn't as natural for me as the delica or caly or others. This is a great knife, but out of my own collection of 20 spyderco's this is one of my least favorite.

I know for many this is a great design and i have respect for the LBK approach, but this one is just not for me.

-Drew

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    If I could only keep one folder, the Dragonfly would be on the short list. The only other knives I'd consider as my only folder would be much larger.

I think the Dragonfly sounds like a great choice. Salt if you are frequently in or around the ocean, VG-10 if you're not, ZDP if it's within your budget.

The other great thing about the Dragonfly is that it's small and light enough that you can add a larger knife to carry for some occasions and still keep the dragonfly on you all the time.

Spyderco Forum Registered User bearfacedkiller's Avatar
    I like the dragonfly because it is a big blade in a small package and carries very easily but for me the delica just fits me better. I don't think one is better than the other but they are a bit different. I am a big fan of thumb ramps but am fairly indifferent when it comes to choils. A lot of people really like choils. The dragonfly is a knife that requires me to choke up on the blade and use the choil. I prefer a grip that puts the blade out in front of my hand a little more most of the time. It is all just personal preference really. I have average size hands.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Evil D's Avatar
    I voted yes. The Dfly is a great knife and will serve you just fine as a first Spyderco and will no doubt get you into buying more of them. I would also suggest a Stretch, Caly 3 or 3.5, Sage (any of them), Centofante 3, Para 2, Manix 2, just to name a few great knives.

SHARPEN IT LIKE YOU LOVE IT, USE IT LIKE YOU HATE IT
    ~David

Official plea to Sal: Can we PLEASE get a DLC Yojimbo 2? PLEASE!!?