Thread: Manix 2 G-10 FFG new bevel, from ~40 to ~27, pics included

Spyderco Forum Registered User

Manix 2 G-10 FFG new bevel, from ~40 to ~27, pics included

Before:
    original_bevel.JPG

After:
    new_bevel1.JPG
    new_bevel2.JPG

So I couldn't resist lowering the bevel of my new Manix 2 G-10 FFG from the original of 20+20.

My only previous experience reprofiling was with ZDP (Stretch and Dragonfly), so I wanted to know how different would S30V be.

As I did with ZDP, I first "ate" the metal with a kitchen stone (don't know what is that, I got it as a gift many years ago, it's a dark gray brick with coarse and fine sides), then used the Sharpmaker tilted by the kitchen stone under one side to lower the triangle stone angle (only works with one triangle stone at a time; I fine adjust the angle tilting the knife according to sound and feel). Went through the brown, fine and UF stones, no microbevel for now.

I found it hard to use the back notches of the SM with the triangle stones for manual sharpening, because when going close to the choil with low angles, the knife handle interferes with the SM base.

Then I stropped with green compound and my old handicam shoulder strap.

To be honest, I did not find a whole lot of difference from ZDP. Yes, it seems it took me less time, and I *think* I fought less with burr (but then, this time I'm a MUCH more experienced sharpener, having reprofiled two entire knives before ). My kitchen stone may have chewed S30V faster (almost ended up with a "negative belly" close to the choil, trying to lower the angle more there), but I can't say ZDP was harder or more difficult. It did take me some trial and error when I did the first ZDP, but I had never reprofiled before, apart from some "generic steel" kitchen knives. (maybe if I had tried S30V first, then ZDP, I would have noticed more difference).

So, from what I could measure (with a paquimeter and trigonometry), it had before 36 to 40 (18+18 to 20+20) degrees. Now it is around 27 to 29 (13.5+13.5 to 14.5 to 14.5) at the belly.

Next time I chop off the tip of my finger with this knife, it will be an even cleaner cut.

Best regards,
    Joao

Spyderco Forum Registered User dbcad's Avatar
    Excellent Joao Nice job I'll bet you love the way it cuts now also

It's a very nice feeling knowing you can keep your own knives sharp

Agreed the burr on ZDP can be quite a pest and congrats on learning ZDP first The S30V on the Manix is a bit easier.
    Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"

Spyderco Forum Registered User jackknifeh's Avatar
    Good work. Nice looking and even bevel. Just wondering how you plan to touch up the edge when needed? Will you use the SM sitting at the normal angles? Just curious.

Jack

My EDC for a while. Stretch with carbon fiber handle, Chaparral 2, Dragonfly 2 with kirinite MOP handle, Manbug with bolster/red bone handle. Super blue/420J1 blades on all three (except Chaparral).

VERY good job, and great post. Love your writing style. If I had the talent and patience for that I'd do all my knives that way. Beautiful edges...

Hi guys, Thank you all for your kind words!

Hi Jack, yes, for the knives I've lowered the bevel angle, I retouch with the SM at the standard 15+15 setting (not that I did that much, I don't use the knives often/hard enough, and I strop obsessively )

best regards,

Joao

Thanks for the report, Joao -- let us know about your next project
    MY SPYDIE LIST (on profile page)
    Want List: New Stretch prototype Coyote G-10 slab/ZDP test sprint!

Spyderco Forum Registered User PocketZen's Avatar
    Very nice. So far many of my s still have the factor edge that has just been stropped.

that's an amazing edge you managed to achieve on your Manix, that thing must cut like a scalpel

Spyderco Forum Registered User Holland's Avatar
    Very well done! especially using a sharpmaker
    Phil Wilson Smoke Creek s110v, SouthFork, Gayle Bradley, Chaparral 1, Chaparral 2, Native 5, Para2, Para1 SE, Caly 3, Dragonfly 2, Dragonfly 2, Delica 4, Ladybug 3

-Spencer