Thread: Differences in G-10?

Spyderco Forum Registered User FLIP4real's Avatar

Differences in G-10?

Good evening everyone -

So I was enjoying my new small Persian 2, fidgeting, photographing, flicking, what-have-you....and I am like damn, this G10 feels really soft (in a fine grain sandpapery way). Now mind you -- I only have two G-10 handled blades. So as I am fondling my new favorite knife (is the most recently acquired always the favorite? I dunno, but this one is) I think to dig out my Tenacious, that has basically been living in a backpack since I got it, and compare.

I know the Tenacious is a budget blade and of lesser quality. However I was surprised to notice such a distinct difference. So - those with multiple G-10's. Are all variants a little different? Due to size? Due to "budget" materials/processes of Tenacious? Do I have a phoney Tenacious?

If I get any other G-10ers, I sure as hell hope they have the feel of this P2. Particularly since we are talking about higher price tag items of desire.

Cheers!

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    Best G-10 ever was on the one Manix 2 sprint...can't remember the steel on that one. I sold mine foolishly...but it had really grippy G-10.
    On the hunt for...

Spyderco Forum Registered User Chris_H's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DeathBySnooSnoo View Post
    Best G-10 ever was on the one Manix 2 sprint...can't remember the steel on that one. I sold mine foolishly...but it had really grippy G-10.
    DBSS--
    You're recalling the CTS-BD30P (Carpenter's equivalent of CPM-S30V) sprint run that had the coarse black G-10. I like it too.

FLIP4real--

I immediately think of "The Usual Suspects" as I read your forum ID... The G-10 will vary somewhat for certain countries of origin/manufacture in my experience. I know that the fabric or outer layer used in laying up the G-10 will directly affect the "feel" of the G-10. That is what essentially gives "peel-ply" its texture. Some fabrics have a a tighter weave than others and that's why some G-10 feel like a fine-grit sandpaper and others feel like they could be used to grate food ingredients (or callouses ).
    "All your are belong to us."
    ** WTC # 1032 1533 **

Spyderco Forum Registered User RadioactiveSpyder's Avatar
    Hi all, I show pics of the various G10 textures used by Spyderco on the Manix 2's (including this Manix sprint you mentioned) here:

http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showt...079#post894079

Hope that helps. Cheers, Paul
    Last edited by RadioactiveSpyder; 01-25-2014 at 04:08 PM.
    It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. Stephen King

Spyderco Forum Registered User The Deacon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FLIP4real View Post
    I know the Tenacious is a budget blade and of lesser quality. However I was surprised to notice such a distinct difference. So - those with multiple G-10's. Are all variants a little different? Due to size? Due to "budget" materials/processes of Tenacious? Do I have a phoney Tenacious?

If I get any other G-10ers, I sure as hell hope they have the feel of this P2. Particularly since we are talking about higher price tag items of desire.

Cheers!
    In the case of the Byrds and Spyderco "Value Folders" the price point of the finished product is definitely going to enter into it, but I'd say the texture of peel-ply G-10 will vary depending on where the knife was manufactured. As a general rule, the US built knives seem to have the most aggressively textured peel-ply G-10. The peel-ply G-10 from Japan seems to be a bit less deeply textured and, since Spyderco deals with more than one maker there, may also vary between makers. The peel-ply from China is the least aggressive and generally the thinnest and, as with Japan, Spyderco may work with more than one maker there so variation between models may also be present. Don't recall ever handling a peel-ply G-10 model from Taiwan or Italy, so I'm not sure where they would fall in the spectrum, or even whether they produce any models that use it.
    Paul
    My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Kiwimania ---- Spydiewiki
    Dead horses beaten, sacred cows tipped, chimeras hunted when time permits.
    WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!

Spyderco Forum Registered User Buendia518's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Deacon View Post
    Don't recall ever handling a peel-ply G-10 model from Taiwan or Italy, so I'm not sure where they would fall in the spectrum, or even whether they produce any models that use it.
    The G10 on the Taiwanese Southard is way gripper than anything I've handled, though I'm not sure if this is peel ply. It appears really widely woven; I'm not sure how or if fabric is used on the process but I guess the this fabric is extremely rough because this g10 is distinctively rough and 'valleyed'.

I haven't handled handled a tenacious but I have some Chinese knives that have very slick plasticky g-10 compared to American assembled same-brand counterparts with nicer, grippier g-10, so it may be typical of Chinese made knives.

I wonder how slick the g10 on the fake Spydercos is.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_H View Post

FLIP4real--

I immediately think of "The Usual Suspects" as I read your forum ID... The G-10 will vary somewhat for certain countries of origin/manufacture in my experience. I know that the fabric or outer layer used in laying up the G-10 will directly affect the "feel" of the G-10. That is what essentially gives "peel-ply" its texture. Some fabrics have a a tighter weave than others and that's why some G-10 feel like a fine-grit sandpaper and others feel like they could be used to grate food ingredients (or callouses ).
    That's exactly what its from " I said he'll flip ya. Flip ya for real". I've used it in several variants over the years. Good call

I didn't realize there would be so much variance! The Tenacious handle totally feels like straight plastic. Thereis no grip from the material itself, only the pattern. Whereas the Persian material is abrasive in its feel from the G10 material.

Quote Originally Posted by Buendia518 View Post
    The G10 on the Taiwanese Southard is way gripper than anything I've handled, though I'm not sure if this is peel ply. It appears really widely woven; I'm not sure how or if fabric is used on the process but I guess the this fabric is extremely rough because this g10 is distinctively rough and 'valleyed'.

I haven't handled handled a tenacious but I have some Chinese knives that have very slick plasticky g-10 compared to American assembled same-brand counterparts with nicer, grippier g-10, so it may be typical of Chinese made knives.

I wonder how slick the g10 on the fake Spydercos is.
    Interesting stuff. I think it must be the Chinese product, you're right on. I bet in-hand the G10 would be a dead giveaway on the fakes

Hello!

This is my first post. :-)

I just took some picture of my Spyderco knives with G-10 scales.

On the left is the Tenacious, on the right is the Paramilitary 2.

Kind regards,
    Jonas

Quote Originally Posted by JoVo View Post
    Hello!

This is my first post. :-)

I just took some picture of my Spyderco knives with G-10 scales.

On the left is the Tenacious, on the right is the Paramilitary 2.

Kind regards,
    Jonas
    WOW! That is really cool. Excellent perspective. Ive got to say, I just received my PM2 and similar to my Persian2 the feel of the weave is very fine. Looking at the Tenacious again, it just looks and feels like plastic, not fiberglass.

I guess you get what you pay for with this stufff!

Quote Originally Posted by FLIP4real View Post
    Are all variants a little different? Due to size? Due to "budget" materials/processes of Tenacious?
    G10 "feel" is dependent on the finishing.

The criss cross and other textures that many manufacturers, I assume, are done by machine. Raw G10 can be flat but grippy or flat and slick depending on the grit you use to finish it off.

I have a G10 handled knife from Bark River that feels like it is made out of glass. I have another one from the same company that I ordered with a "matte" finish that feels like it was parkerized.

Hi JoVo,

Welcome to our forum.

sal

Spyderco Forum Registered User Holland's Avatar
    Welcome to the forums JoVo
    Phil Wilson Smoke Creek s110v, SouthFork, Gayle Bradley, Chaparral 1, Chaparral 2, Native 5, Para2, Para1 SE, Caly 3, Dragonfly 2, Dragonfly 2, Delica 4, Ladybug 3

-Spencer

Spyderco Forum Registered User Evil D's Avatar
    I'm a big fan of the course stuff. The Southard uses some that's almost as course as my G10 Kershaw Leek, and I love the way that stuff grips. It is a little harsh at first but once it breaks in, it settles down to a very good medium grip that lasts a very long time. The fine stuff that Spyderco uses tends to lose its bite completely in a few months of constant carry. My Yo2 is so smooth it may as well be polished, there's still texture there but it's so fine and so soft that it isn't effective at all anymore. I am one of those people who prefers to have the grip derived from the ergonomics more so than the scale texture, but at the same time it definitely doesn't hurt to have a grippy scale along with good ergonomics.

SHARPEN IT LIKE YOU LOVE IT, USE IT LIKE YOU HATE IT
    ~David

Official plea to Sal: Can we PLEASE get a DLC Yojimbo 2? PLEASE!!?