Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Caly 3/3.5

Spyderco Forum Registered User Donut's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcusH View Post
    +1
    the Caly 3.5 is in closed position just 0.4 inch bigger than the Caly 3
    I remember a while back someone compared the two and it seemed like it was much less than a half of an inch.
    -Brian
    A distinguished lurker.
    Chat with us. Sharpthings - A Blog Site

Spyderco Forum Registered User gbelleh's Avatar
    I have one each of the Caly 3 and 3.5 in Super Blue and ZDP-189. The Caly 3.5 is one of the most size efficient Spydies there is as far as blade to handle ratio. It really is difficult to tell the 3 from the 3.5 when closed, and when in the pocket.

To me, the difference in blade length is negligible. The 3 can handle pretty much any routine task the 3.5 can, IMO.

I like having the option of the slightly longer blade, but I also like the 3" blade a lot. The 3" blade does look nicely proportioned to me. A nice tidy package to have when a 3" blade is enough, or limited by law.

Bottom line, either is excellent. You can't go wrong.
    My New Gear Review YouTube Channel

Latest Spydies: Lum Tanto FB Sprint, Green CTS-204P Para 2, K390 Mule, 2013 Forum Native 5, Domino, Blue G-10 Lava, Cruwear Military, Swick 3, Jot Singh Khalsa sprint, Hungarian Folder, CF S90V Manix 2 XL, Fluted Ti Military, Fluted Ti Native 5, Nilakka, Brown XHP Native, Equilibrium, Street Bowie, Lil Matriarch, Cat

Spyderco Forum Registered User 3rdGenRigger's Avatar
    I've held both and they felt more or less the same in my hand, but I took the extra half inch of blade.
    Ladybug (Salt/SuperBlue/White SE), Native (FRN), Dragonfly (Salt/Orange/SuperBlue/G10), Lava (Blue), Ulize, Byrdwrench
    Para-Military 2 (Digi-Cam/Green), Jester (Grey), Caly3/3.5 (CF), Domino (Blue), Stretch (SuperBlue), Spyderwrench
    Schempp Tuff, Goddard OD, Mule (K390), Manix2 (CruWear), Sage 3 (CF), Vallotton, Techno, Spin (Blue Nishijin)
    2013 Forum Native, Delica 4 (Damascus), Chokwe, Swick 3, Battlestation, Military (CruWear), "Mystery Spydie (To be revealed)"

-> Branden

Spyderco Forum Registered User Buendia518's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Donut View Post
    I remember a while back someone compared the two and it seemed like it was much less than a half of an inch.
    Holding them side by side it's definitely more like 1/4 on an inch and I think the catalog basically corroborates that.

To the OP, it's hard to ignore that extra 1/2 inch of blade on the 3.5, especially if you're legally allowed to carry it. The caly 3 is a great knife and for some reason I prefer the looks a bit more than the 3.5. It can also handle most tasks equally well, other than food perhaps, and is legal to carry here in IL. I love em both but gravitate to the 3.5 and would keep it over the 3 if I chose to sell one.

Enjoy your knife either way it's a great design that will serve you well.

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcusH View Post
    +1
    the Caly 3.5 is in closed position just 0.4 inch bigger than the Caly 3
    Here's a size comparision of some members of the Calypso/Caly-family: Calypso, Caly 3.5, Caly 3, Calypso jr.

Boy, from looking at this picture, I can't imagine it would make any difference between the two. I would probalby buy whichever one I found with the combination I liked or whichever I found first.

Spyderco Forum Registered User gbelleh's Avatar
    I just found some comparison pics I have of the Caly 3 and 3.5. They really are very close in closed length, but the extra 0.5" of blade length is significant...

My New Gear Review YouTube Channel

Latest Spydies: Lum Tanto FB Sprint, Green CTS-204P Para 2, K390 Mule, 2013 Forum Native 5, Domino, Blue G-10 Lava, Cruwear Military, Swick 3, Jot Singh Khalsa sprint, Hungarian Folder, CF S90V Manix 2 XL, Fluted Ti Military, Fluted Ti Native 5, Nilakka, Brown XHP Native, Equilibrium, Street Bowie, Lil Matriarch, Cat

Spyderco Forum Registered User All-R-Crazy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Revival View Post
    I know,
    So my questions is how many of you bought the Caly 3 and had the same impression and bought the 3.5 instead? How many of you have bought the 3.5 first and decided to get the 3 because you felt the 3.5 was too big? For those of you with both, which one do you carry/use more?
    I personally feel that the three handle has better ergo than 3.5 but I have small hands and love carting and using both just my .02 cents
    delica ffg,endura ffg,pm2 black/black,delica sb,caly3.5 g10,caly3 sb,S90V military

Quote Originally Posted by JAfromMN
    My favorite Spyderco is the one that I used the most Today