Thread: Help me find round ceramic sharpening rods

Spyderco Forum Registered User Evil D's Avatar

Help me find round ceramic sharpening rods

If not ceramic, I could also use diamond rods if they could be bought in different grits. I plan on making a setup for my Edge Pro so it can run round ceramic rods instead of flat stones

Something like this would be ideal http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lot-of-4-Sho...-/310818988333

SHARPEN IT LIKE YOU LOVE IT, USE IT LIKE YOU HATE IT
    ~David

Official plea to Sal: Can we PLEASE get a DLC Yojimbo 2? PLEASE!!?

Hmm....these Lansky rods might be the perfect size, if only they came in more grit choices
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lansky-Diamo...-/181289060308

~David

Spyderco Forum Registered User xceptnl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil D View Post
    Hmm....these Lansky rods might be the perfect size, if only they came in more grit choices
    That setup is the first thing that came to my mind when I read your first post. I have considered something similar in the past. I was planning to modify a set of 701 profile stones to work on the DMT aligner (or similar clamped setup). I am interested to know what your plan is to cut them. Please continue to share your progress in this thread. Subscribed!
    My 's:
    Native, Manix 2 (BD1,154CM,S30V,M4,XHP,S110V,Cruwear), Delica 4 (White,Red,Brown,Blue,BRG,G-10), Spyderhawk, D'fly (H1,G-10,SB), Police3, Volpe, Military (S30V,XHP,D2,M390,BG42,440V,Cruwear), Superleafs, Forager, D2 Para, Kopas, Kiwis, Caly (JR's,3,3.5), Para2 (XHP,204P), Stretch (SS,FRN's,CF), Rescues, Dyad Jr, Pingos, Southard, AIR, Jess Horns, Forum N5, Lil Matriarch, Barong, Superhawk, Chinook II, ATR, SPY-DK, Captain, Ti UKPK, Mules

*Landon*

Yeah, cutting them is going to be the challenge, otherwise I would probably use the Sharpmaker triangle rods since they also come in diamond. I don't think the diamond ones would be much challenge since they're just a coating over metal, they should be able to be cut with a hacksaw or bandsaw with the right blade, but the ceramic I have no idea so I really need to find those around 6 inches. I have some ideas on how to mount them on the Edge Pro too. This will allow me to sharpen recurves and serrations on my EP much more accurately.

~David

Now that I think of it, a cheaper way to do this is probably to get some aluminum rod, and just wrap it in silicon carbide sandpaper. That'll give me a cheap and easy source for different sized rods, and a huge selection of grit choices. That'll also solve the cutting issue.

~David

Spyderco Forum Registered User OldSarSwmr's Avatar
    I think your idea of cutting your own rods and using your own media is a good idea. I just measured my Lansky rods and they are 5".
    Last edited by OldSarSwmr; 12-29-2013 at 04:31 PM. Reason: bad info

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Evil D View Post
    Now that I think of it, a cheaper way to do this is probably to get some aluminum rod, and just wrap it in silicon carbide sandpaper. That'll give me a cheap and easy source for different sized rods, and a huge selection of grit choices. That'll also solve the cutting issue.
    This is a brilliant option. You can even shape the ends to match the angle contour of the EP blanks. You could even do some half moons out of say 2" dia. to make just a slight curve.
    My 's:
    Native, Manix 2 (BD1,154CM,S30V,M4,XHP,S110V,Cruwear), Delica 4 (White,Red,Brown,Blue,BRG,G-10), Spyderhawk, D'fly (H1,G-10,SB), Police3, Volpe, Military (S30V,XHP,D2,M390,BG42,440V,Cruwear), Superleafs, Forager, D2 Para, Kopas, Kiwis, Caly (JR's,3,3.5), Para2 (XHP,204P), Stretch (SS,FRN's,CF), Rescues, Dyad Jr, Pingos, Southard, AIR, Jess Horns, Forum N5, Lil Matriarch, Barong, Superhawk, Chinook II, ATR, SPY-DK, Captain, Ti UKPK, Mules

*Landon*

Quote Originally Posted by xceptnl View Post
    This is a brilliant option. You can even shape the ends to match the angle contour of the EP blanks. You could even do some half moons out of say 2" dia. to make just a slight curve.
    Yeah I plan on cutting the ends so the rods will wedge right into the EP like the blanks do. Otherwise I imagined some kind of block that has a round hole indentation that the rods would fit into, and I'd use one block on each side of the rod to hold the rod in place, but I'm not sure how I'd make those blocks.

~David

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    Dont know much about them but can you get something like the Mold Masters in ceramic or the grits you are after?

I thought they had round, square, triangle or other shapes that might work!

Quote Originally Posted by sir_mike View Post
    Dont know much about them but can you get something like the Mold Masters in ceramic or the grits you are after?

I thought they had round, square, triangle or other shapes that might work!
    Congress Tools make round and triangle stones, but they're only 4 inches. I'd rather not lose 2 inches

~David

Spyderco Forum Registered User Donut's Avatar
    I have one of these that I got for "converting" a little matriarch to plain edge. It's DMT and only available in fine. It's about 8 inches long.

http://www.amazon.com/DMT-DCMF-Diamo...dp/B00004WFT2/

When I look at Congress Tool's website, it looks like Round and half round are available in 6" stones. I think you would be wanting a half round stone for the EP.

http://www.congresstools.com/catalog...ategory/?id=27
    -Brian
    A distinguished lurker.
    Chat with us. Sharpthings - A Blog Site

Also, from what I've read, Silicone Carbide (SiC) is the hardest grade of ceramic available. I have some Moldmaster SiC stones and what they use to hold together could be a little harder, if I push too hard or get my angle wrong, I can cut some of the stone away.
    -Brian
    A distinguished lurker.

Spyderco Forum Registered User

Norton & 3M

When I bought some round ceramic rods about 5 years ago the Lansky company seemed at that time had a good selection. There are a few new vendors now that I've looked at. One of them is "Ultimate Edge" who also makes a few diamond tools as well.

I can't be absolutely sure but you might check out the websites of Norton and 3M because they both have a huge array of all types of different sharpening rods. I know that Norton has a good selection of waterstones.

There is also another company that I heard was recently bought out and I have a few of their tools and they are not bad at all. The company goes by the name Cerahone. They also have many diamond tools as well and I find their diamond tools to be great for field work. And GATCO has a nice selection of sharpening tools.

I'll do some more checking today and see what else I can find.
    Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!

So, to get back to this little project, here's what I have so far. I bought some aluminum rod and started cutting it down to size and grinding the ends to fit into my Edge Pro. Then I looked over at the EP, and it dawned on me....why not just wrap sandpaper around the guide rod itself?? So that's what I did. I then put my Ulize on the table, and bingo, sharpening the inside of a recurve like a boss. The problems I found immediately are that:

1) You have to consider the surface area difference between a round "stone" and a flat one. When you focus all the pressure onto a corner or onto what little surface area touches the blade with a round rod, you need to adjust your pressure way down or you're gonna burr the crap out of your edge because the pressure is focused on such a smaller surface area.

2) Sandpaper just doesn't survive long enough to be worth using for this, because of the focused wear on a small surface area, the paper is worn fast and loses bite almost instantly.

3) Once you start getting a sharp edge, it instantly digs and cuts into the paper.

So, the good news is that a round rod will definitely work for recurves, and I suspect will work equally great for serrations. I'm throwing around some ideas on how to mount a round rod into the EP...since cutting a ceramic rod to fit into the EP isn't going to happen, and I'd like the ability to rotate the rod now and then so I don't wanna just glue a rod to an EP blank. I was thinking maybe take an EP blank and cut 1/2 inch or so off each end and then drill a round hole for the rods to sit in and use the EP ends as rod holders (if that makes any sense).

Also, while I was playing with sandpaper, I played around with making my own polishing tapes (or rather, just sandpaper tapes). What you need is corrugator splicing tape...which is a really cool tape used for splicing 2 rolls of paper together...think double sided tape but instead of "tape" you end up with just a layer of adhesive glue between two parts. It works like a piece of tape, you cut/tear a piece off and stick it onto the paper or EP blank, then peel off the top layer and it leaves the adhesive behind. Then you cut your paper to fit the blank and you have custom polishing tape. The only problem I've found with this is, again, sandpaper just doesn't seem to last very long. Once you get it stuck to the blank nice and flat, I didn't have any significant issues with the blade gouging, but it did wear pretty fast. I'm using just typical 3M department store sandpaper...so there may be a higher quality brand to look at for this? I did opt for wet/dry paper which I have read uses a higher quality abrasive? Idk.

~David

If you consider returning to your aluminum rod idea, I would look in to the Flexi-Sharp sheets. Steel adhesive sheets with the usual DMT abrasive surfaces. 220, 325, 600, and 1200 mesh. They only come 2"x 3", but should hold up better than your sandpaper. The smaller sheets would allow you to set up 2 grits on one round blank so you could sharpen with less time for blank changes. If you do continue to use sandpaper, Norton makes some high quality wet/dry that is adhesive backed.
    My 's:

*Landon*

-Brian
    A distinguished lurker.